Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Quadra Lift

32K views 110 replies 40 participants last post by  MrHerbert 
#1 ·
Anyone receive their new rig with Quadra Lift yet? If not, I hope someone posts their thoughts immediately after delivery.

And pics of the different ride heights as well.

#38 ·
With aftermarket wheels or larger tires it may, but when raising or lowering the airbags you are only utilising the amount of wheel travel build into the system from factory.
So, if it doesn't rub (and no car should with factory components) at full droop or full compression regardless of steering lock, it won't rub. :)

#40 ·
hahaha, sorry bro, it was just a random one chosen from a Google search.
I had no problems.......................................... wait...........................................................
shit, there's smoke coming from my computer!

#45 · (Edited)
That they are, but the point is this...

It's called Quadra-Lift.

Or heck even call it the "Air Suspension".

But please, not Air-Ride. It's not a Lincoln or Cadillac.

They were obviously not listening during orientation when they were telling us all the details about the vehicle. (All of which I already knew) :D

#46 ·
Can a Jeep with Quadra-Lift be lowered to the maximum down position and then driven a few feet, like into your garage? I am a little worried that the antenna sticking up will hit my garage door when I pull in the garage. If you can lower it all the way for entry and exit of your garage it would help.

#47 · (Edited)
All the way down I believe is park mode. However as the engineers mentioned the antenna bends and is flexible so if it does hit you still should be ok. Maybe someone with quadra lift can give some input.

#50 ·
From WK2Jeeps, it looks like it has to be pressed.

"Quadra-Lift Air Suspension settings

The Quadra-Lift system features five height settings for optimum ride performance, each with its own benefits.

- Off-Road 2 (OR2)

Provides the maximum ride height of 2.6 extra inches (10.7 inches of ground clearance) for the highest clearance over obstacles. This position also provides the best approach, departure, and breakover angles.

- Off-Road 1 (OR1)

Provides 1.3 extra inches (9.4 inches of clearance) for off-roading, but allows a bit more suspension comfort. This position provides a good balance between ground clearance and ride comfort. The vehicle height will change automatically from Off-Road 2 to Off-Road 1 when vehicle speed exceeds 25 mph.

- Normal (NRH)

The standard ride height and is best for all-around driving conditions. It offers 8.1 inches of clearance and provides the most comfortable balance of ride and handling. The vehicle height will change automatically from Off-Road 1 to Normal when vehicle speed exceeds 50 mph. The vehicle height will change automatically from Aero to Normal when vehicle speed drops below 25 mph, or when vehicle speed is less than 60 mph and the user changes the Selec-Terrain switch from “Sport” to “Automatic”.

- Aero

Lowers the vehicle just over a half inch to maximize aerodynamics and fuel economy at highway speeds. This position also reduces body roll and provides a “sportier” feel. “Aero” ride height is achieved automatically when the vehicle reaches 60 miles per hour, or by selecting “Sport” mode on the Selec-Terrain switch.

- Park

Lowers the entire vehicle 1.5 inches below normal height to make loading and unloading people or cargo much easier. It is activated when the driver selects the DOWN button on the Selec-Terrain/Air Suspension control. The vehicle height will also change automatically from Park to Normal when vehicle speed exceeds 5 mph.

The system also continually monitors passenger, cargo and trailer tongue weight and adjusts the air suspension automatically, to maintain a level ride."

#53 ·
I also am hoping I can lower it to park heigth to enter my garage and hope it doesn't default to normal ride heigth upon startup. I am concerned about how flexible the antenna is. My garage has low overhead.

#59 ·
I can say that while the selec-terrain and ql resets at key cycle, it does NOT automatically raise back up until you get moving. If you activate park mode before going in, upon restart it won't raise until you hit 15mph or tell it to raise back up.

Sent from my MB300 using Tapatalk

#54 ·
At the risk of sounding like a broken record here, has anyone heard news about when Jeep will lift the restriction on Quadra-Lift for Limited or Laredo X models? Now that Overlands seem to be catching up to some of the backlog, maybe the logjam will break soon?
I've had a Limited order in limbo since early July and my dealer cannot get a straight answer. Should I just change to an Overland and be done with this crazy delay?
Milous: Please help before I reach Techno levels of blood pressure.

#57 ·
Yes, to get the ventilated seats, an option that I think really gives additional function to the Jeep, you would pay an extra $1,500 or so. I did the build without QL on the Limited, concerned that the upkeep on this system may be considerable in the future. The Overland just seems like the better value, and will probably also have a higher resale, although Jeep's residual doesn't show that.

#58 ·
Thanks for the input, guys. It's not even the price difference that bothers me. In Canada the Limited automatically comes with Luxury Group II anyway, so the ventilated seats are included without having add anything. I just don't particularly need the added interior items in the Overland. But decision time is coming. I do not want to wait forever.

#62 ·
With Quadra-lift, it's supposed to go into Aero mode automatically if you are sustaining speeds over 62mph. When it goes into aero mode, is there any indication of it going into aero mode in the EVIC? I've driven on the highway a few times now and if I'm in aero mode, there's no indication of it from behind the wheel.

#63 ·
With Quadra-lift, it's supposed to go into Aero mode automatically if you are sustaining speeds over 62mph. When it goes into aero mode, is there any indication of it going into aero mode in the EVIC? I've driven on the highway a few times now and if I'm in aero mode, there's no indication of it from behind the wheel.
a message does appear once it goes into aero mode but it is a very brief message. this is on the EVIC

#65 ·
Ql is a air spring configuration. The airbag is inside the spring and is filled via a closed air system.....unlike more unreliable land rovers etc that use open type air systems

Sent from my MB300 using Tapatalk

#68 ·

The Quadra-Lift air suspension system provides height control and lifts the vehicle up to 4.1 inches from park mode to a best-in-class maximum ride height of 10.7 inches. Quadra-Lift is supported by four-corner air springs that provide a cushioned, premium ride. It operates automatically, or may be controlled manually via console controls. It can function independent of the Selec-Terrain system according to driver selection. The Quadra-Lift system will be available on the Limited and Overland starting in July 2010.

Features:

Full time four corner load leveling

Closed type air suspension design results in fast ride height changes

Ability to change ride height with the push of a button

Max ground clearance 10.7”

4.1” of total travel

Improved off-road performance by increasing ground clearance with 2 settings: Off-Road II is 2.6” higher than normal ride height (NRH) and Off-Road I is 1.3” higher than NRH

Automatically lowers at highway speeds to reduce drag resulting in better fuel economy (0.5” lower than NRH)

Park mode provides lowers vehicle for easier entry & exit (1.5” lower than NRH)

Quadra-Lift Air Suspension settings

The Quadra-Lift system features five height settings for optimum ride performance, each with its own benefits.

- Off-Road 2 (OR2)

Provides the maximum ride height of 2.6 extra inches (10.7 inches of ground clearance) for the highest clearance over obstacles. This position also provides the best approach, departure, and breakover angles.

- Off-Road 1 (OR1)

Provides 1.3 extra inches (9.4 inches of clearance) for off-roading, but allows a bit more suspension comfort. This position provides a good balance between ground clearance and ride comfort. The vehicle height will change automatically from Off-Road 2 to Off-Road 1 when vehicle speed exceeds 25 mph.

- Normal (NRH)

The standard ride height and is best for all-around driving conditions. It offers 8.1 inches of clearance and provides the most comfortable balance of ride and handling. The vehicle height will change automatically from Off-Road 1 to Normal when vehicle speed exceeds 50 mph. The vehicle height will change automatically from Aero to Normal when vehicle speed drops below 25 mph, or when vehicle speed is less than 60 mph and the user changes the Selec-Terrain switch from “Sport” to “Automatic”.

- Aero

Lowers the vehicle just over a half inch to maximize aerodynamics and fuel economy at highway speeds. This position also reduces body roll and provides a “sportier” feel. “Aero” ride height is achieved automatically when the vehicle reaches 60 miles per hour, or by selecting “Sport” mode on the Selec-Terrain switch.

- Park

Lowers the entire vehicle 1.5 inches below normal height to make loading and unloading people or cargo much easier. It is activated when the driver selects the DOWN button on the Selec-Terrain/Air Suspension control. The vehicle height will also change automatically from Park to Normal when vehicle speed exceeds 5 mph.

The system also continually monitors passenger, cargo and trailer tongue weight and adjusts the air suspension automatically, to maintain a level ride.

A closed system – because it’s better

Quadra-Lift is a closed system so adjustments are much faster than other systems that must draw in or exhaust air for operation. It is the first SUV to use the latest air suspension technology utilizing a closed type design.

The closed type system does not draw in fresh air during vehicle lifting or leveling-up, or pump air out to the atmosphere during lowering or leveling down. Instead it moves stored pressurized air from the reservoir to the air springs and back again.

Since the system’s compressor is working with pre-pressurized air, and not air at atmospheric pressure, the compressor can be smaller which translates into reduced power consumption and weight as well as improved NVH characteristics.

By working with pre-pressurized air, the closed air suspension system also provides additional benefits to the customer:

Reduced time to change vehicle height

A significantly greater number of repeated lifts without lift time deterioration

System performance that is unaffected at higher altitudes when compared to an open type air suspension

#72 · (Edited)
So this:

is not used?
Yes shocks are used. A spring simply supports the wieght, while a shock dampens and controls it's motion. In the picture above posted by Scottina06 you see the shocks for the rear suspension. On the front the airbag is taking the place of the conventional steel spring on the front strut. Therefore just like a normal strut, the shock portion is running through the center of the bag.

#71 ·
it is also actually an airbag inside a spring

I'd like to see a photo of the actual part or a cut away. This is a large misconception with air-ride systems. They use the term "air spring" because the air bag actually "is" the spring. The bags are heavier than the term air "bag" would lead you to believe. They are made similar to a tire with nylon or other type weave molded in to them. Ususlly they are around 1/8" thick if you cut one open.

#73 ·
to be honest...I deleted my post becasue I was not 100% sure. I thought I remembered seeing a pic of the air springs with the airbag on the inside of the spring.....bu then the second pic I posted from wk2jeeps doesnt show that. So Im not completely sure...sorry. The 2nd pic I posted seems to look like the airbag is covering a spring?

#74 · (Edited)
Like you Scott, I'm not 100% certain. This is the way all of the air systems I've seen work. The wrinkles at the top of the front bags in the picture may be how the bag is mounted to it's upper steel mount, a simple wrinkle in the bags or a partial spring in case of deflation or bottoming out.

Maybe someone who has taken delivery or someone who works on the assembly line could give us more insight.

#77 · (Edited)
My motorhome with air bags, and commercial trucks, use a dryer to keep moisture from condensing when the air is compressed (and the dryer needs to be replaced every few years as the beads get used up). There are also valves that spit out any moisture that does form. Without the dryer and the moisture release valves, the air systems in commercial trucks and Motorhomes would fail quickly. I hope the system in the jeep is truly a closed system, otherwise we are going to have moisture related failures.....

#78 · (Edited)
rdalcanto, i am very familiar with heavy truck and motorhome air suspension. I owned, operated, and mechanically repaired a fleet of 5 trucks for 18 years while I was an earthmoving and pipeline contractor. I now own a 40 ft. diesel pusher motorhome and the systems are identical.

When I started in the early to mid 80's air dryers and air dryers with ejector valves were the oddity. They were available but not often seen. Trucks from this era and before did very well without them. The main reason that they came into such popularity during the 90's and beyond was for trucks operating in the north locally and 48 state rigs seeing alot of northern miles.No moisture in the lines meant no water to freeze, causing brakes to stick or not function since the brakes on these units use the same air supply as the suspension. Failures on these early air systems were not common and the air dryer not a must have. When ordering a large truck every component is spec'ed. This means even down to the name brand of brake drum. Air dryers are an option, motorhome builders spec their chassis from Freightliner, Spartan, or build in-house, they spec the air dryer due to the fact that most non commercial drivers and motorhome owners wouldn't understand the daily need for draining the reserve tanks. This is especially crucial in cold climate, the dryer makes it close to a no touch system and helps aleviate liability.

Next, a commercial type vehicle, class 8 truck or motorhome chassis uses a large compressor mounted on and driven by the engine. The CFM and shear volume moved by one of these is astronomical in comparison to the qaudra-lift system. Also the commercial systems exhaust air to atmosphere when lowering and replace with fresh compressed air when filling to lift. The jeep system is supposed to be recycling a set amount of air to and from reserve tanks. This should build less heat and provide less chance for condensation.

Water will have little effect on the system, as I said older trucks didn't have this dryer and gave no problem other than in freezing temps. Although there were and are drains on the air reserve tanks for draining collected water. If the drains were checked regularly then freezing weather had little to no effect without a dryer. since the air isn't being compressed from the atmosphere then there will be little if any heat and or friction from compression to create condensation due to temperature variation.

#80 ·
I hope you are right Parker. Truckers knew to drain their air reserve tanks. Even though my motorhome has the dryer, I still pull all three lanyards several times a year to check for moisture in my airbrake's tanks (manual requires you do so). I doubt soccer mom's would do it regularly even if it existed in the Jeep system (which it doesn't). I'm wondering if moisture in open systems is why Range Rover's air systems would fail so frequently. I too ordered QL, and pray that it will be reliable with their new "closed system," since many of us will be using the Jeeps in sub-freezing temperatures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.