Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Ball Joints and Tie Rod Ends (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/ball-joints-and-tie-rod-ends-12558.html)

JeepMe 09-04-2010 06:49 PM

Ball Joints and Tie Rod Ends

I took my 2003 WJ to Pep-Boys to get the tires aligned and rotated. I got a call saying they couldn't align it b/c it needed new upper and lower ball joints (both sides) and outer tie rod ends. So I told them I would be by to pick it up.

I got the Jeep back for 6.14 (replaced 2 lug nuts). They also wrote down everything that needed done and price. If they were going to do it, the cost was OVER $1,000. They wanted $315 in labor just to replace both upper ball joints and $315 to replace the lower ball joints (parts not included.So I went to Advanced Auto and picked up new upper ball joints, lower ball joints, and tie rod ends all for $170. I'm going to have a fun Sunday of Labor Day weekend.:thumbsup:

Scottina06 09-04-2010 07:01 PM

Re: Ball Joints and Tie Rod Ends

no kidding....why do they need replaced?

JeepMe 09-05-2010 09:53 AM

They said they need to be replaced. I showed them to my buddy who's a Ford Mechanic and he said they aren't terrible (like Pep Boys implied) but they could use replaced. Since I'm meticulous about my stuff (might call it slightly OCD), I'm going to replace them in about 1 hour. :)

Big Perm 09-06-2010 09:11 PM

Nice! Let us know how it turns out!

JeepMe 09-07-2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Perm (Post 264043)
Nice! Let us know how it turns out!

I got it all done. The biggest PITA was simply removing the brake rotors. They were SEIZED on there like I've never seen before. I hit them w/ a BFH and they still didn't come off. Finally had to use the pickle fork to wedge them out.

Once those were off, hubs came out easily and ball joints popped right out (w/ the press). Tie rod ends were easy. I also did all the brakes while I was under there (and I dinged up the rotors pretty good getting them off). Cost me $350 in parts and a weekend.

afpe45 09-08-2010 02:27 PM

need to do the same to my 2003 4.7 overland shortly, when was the last time you had the wheels off to check rotors & brakes, just wondering if I will have the same problem.
afpe45

JeepMe 09-08-2010 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afpe45 (Post 264771)
need to do the same to my 2003 4.7 overland shortly, when was the last time you had the wheels off to check rotors & brakes, just wondering if I will have the same problem.
afpe45

I had not had them off. I bought the Jeep about 6 months ago at 72k miles. It was the first time I took them off and it has 80,5xx miles. I put some high temp grease on the metal around the studs to keep them from rusting again in the future.

It's hard to say if you'll have the same problem. Here in Indiana, they LOVE to use salt in the winter so I'm sure that helped it along. Since you're going to be doing ball joints, buy the ball joint separator for $10 at Advanced Auto. This gets the rotors off fairly easily.

I also read somewhere that on the WJ, the alignment needs to be 1/8" toe in. Is this true? If so, why not perfectly straight?

TDS SD 09-09-2010 01:18 AM

It helps the vehicle track better.

Stagefumer11 09-12-2010 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepMe (Post 265197)
I also read somewhere that on the WJ, the alignment needs to be 1/8" toe in. Is this true? If so, why not perfectly straight?

When rolling forward your tires will actaully push out.. Becoming parallel when moving. This also keeps your tracking more stable. Also keeping the steering tighter. :)

Chuck 09-12-2010 07:30 AM

How do you know when you need to change the ball joints? I just changed my tie rods a few months ago and they were shot to death.

JeepMe 09-12-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 266876)
How do you know when you need to change the ball joints? I just changed my tie rods a few months ago and they were shot to death.

Some of them have a wear indicator on them (mine didn't). What my buddy did was first to look at the ball joints to see if there was any obvious damage. Then he put the wheel on and pulled on the top and bottom trying to get it to rock. Then he took the wheel off and used a crowbar to see if there was any play. He said there was a little play so I replaced them.