Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   ECU reset - recommended! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/ecu-reset-recommended-12608.html)

Marlin 09-06-2010 08:19 PM

ECU reset - recommended!

So Sunday night I accidently left the keys in the Jeep with the radio going all night and woke to a WK with a dead flat battery.

I called a mate for a jump start, and I have to tell you, after having it sitting overnight with a flat battery which resets the computers, my Jeep feels so diffferent, for the better!

The electronic throttle is much smoother and more responsive, and the gearbox is smoother shifting and more decisive of the gear it wants.
I gave it the big throttle this morning and yeah, it even feels quicker :)

So, i recommend if you have time, disconnect your battery for 12 to 24 hours, cycle the ignition while disconnected a couple of times(to empty capacitors), and reconnect the battery. Hopefully you'll be as impressed as I :)

LQQKOUT 09-07-2010 07:36 PM

Re: ECU reset - recommended!

It resets most of the parameters. It will re-learn in a few days.

AB Jeepster 09-08-2010 04:35 PM

I am still on the floor LMAO reading your sig. It took me 24 hours to get back up.....;)

Devilsmed98 09-09-2010 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB Jeepster (Post 264844)
I am still on the floor LMAO reading your sig. It took me 24 hours to get back up.....;)

Hahahahaha that sig is awesome man.

My battery just went dead last week. Completely dead, wouldn't even hold charge if the jumper cables were taken off. Don't even get me started as the only replacements for this 3 year old battery were in the $140-$160 range. I ended up getting a Duralast Gold from Autozone. Ran me $150 with a 3 year free replacement warranty and an 8 year prorated.

Anyway. I did also notice that my Jeep was responding much better, throttle response was better, shifting was better, but now the ECU relearned and its back to normal :(

AcidCold 09-09-2010 10:12 PM

What's the deal with jumping a red top battery? i keep hearing people say that i would be screwed if i needed a jump??

Marlin 09-09-2010 10:23 PM

People who don't jump start are worry warts..... done it many dozens of times across a range of batteries and vehicles.

LQQKOUT, thanks mate, I know that, am just reminding the good folk, as doing it reminded me how good it is to clear out all the bad memories in the Jeep :)

Glad the sig gave yous a little chuckle :)

maxst2 09-09-2010 11:13 PM

Mm.... get a superchips with trans app... then have that goodness all day every day :)

Marlin 09-09-2010 11:15 PM

Fail for export models :)
And besides, I enjoy the freeness of a battery disconnect reset :D lol

Remember, my license plate ;)

maxst2 09-09-2010 11:18 PM

hahaha. But then you loose all the radio presets >_<

Marlin 09-09-2010 11:24 PM

well, I don't...... Internal capicitor in the radio remembers all :D

DJ BoNiOmArIo 09-10-2010 09:02 AM