Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   new tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/new-tires-12632.html)

wkthursty 09-07-2010 05:33 PM

new tires

i have been looking already to switch out my rubber. I have am using ironman radial tires (never heard of them. dealership put them on) they have nice tread for dual terrain but kind of sketchy of the off brand name. i have looked at the bridgestone dueller a/t and goodyear wrangeler. any input on what is better??

NHWK05 09-07-2010 05:53 PM

Re: new tires

ALOT of people on Jeeps Unlimited Love the Dueler At Revo and Revo 2. I personally am not a fan of Bridgestone/Firesone.

IF your looking for a bnag for your buck AT tire that will last and perform year round is the General Grabber AT2, 60k mile warranty, semi aggressive tread(looks identical to bfg at) and is mountain snowflake rated for severe winter weather. This however does not come in the stock sizes but a 245/70/17 or 255/65/17 will fit just fine. About $140 ea

Other tires to look in to are the Very well rated Goodyear Wrangler Silent armor (expensive ) but its supposed to be a great tire and has great reviews. Check out tire rack and search the web. These come in the stock 245/65/17. also mountain snow flake rated. about $180ea

The Cooper made Mastercraft AT is also a great tire. and priced between the Goodyear and General. about $150 ea

08Hemi 09-07-2010 06:13 PM

^^ Kyle - I just noticed in your pic that your Front tire has white lettering and the rear does not...did they mess up on install? Did it rub off? I went to p/u my Jeep after a blow-out and they handed me the keys and the white lettering was on the inside (I had to special order them as they did not have the white lettering in stock) HAHA so it took an extra 15 mins to take it off, re-balance and mount.

NHWK05 09-07-2010 06:23 PM

Ha Ha, That is my spare. I hit hit a curb and (wheel is fine) but i had a gash in the tire so i threw the spare on. When i bought my Wk i did not have a matching spare. I bought that one with 6/32nds tread off ebay for $20. It had the white letters (which i like) so when i had it mounted i has it letters out.

It seems that only the Some models had the White letters on both WKs and XKs.

Although i made some mentions of really good tires above i cant afford them right now and my Stock Goodyear Forteras wont pass state inspection in november. I am going to buy BFGoodrich Rugged Trail TA tires. The are not the best tires but not the worst tires according to tire reviews. Alot of people say they got 60k miles plus (some almost 80kmiles) from them and they seem to do just about as good as in ratings as the GY Fortera for snow, rain, dry, handling etc. They come stock the some Rams, F150s, Explorers, Tacomas, Tundras, and a few other vehicles from the factory.

The reason i will get these is i have 1 Brand spankin new one for my spare now that i got for free in a 245/65/17 white letters (still has the nubbies and stripes on it) so since this one was free i only need to buy 3 more and that will save me a ton of money. Then i will go on ebay and buy 1 used one for a full size matching spare for about $20.

ballajim 09-07-2010 07:14 PM

ill second that mastercraft AT, i have had two sets of them on my xj and got about 40K of mixed use onroad/offroad on the first set. good for what little snow we get in TN, but great in dirt. overall a great value

hamuel2003 09-07-2010 08:14 PM

I second the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors. I love them so far, and they are extremely quiet for an A/T tire IMO. Haven't really taken them off road or anything yet, only had them for like 3 weeks, but I anticipate they will be pretty good. They can be kind of expensive(Got quotes running upwards of $200 a tire plus install), but local Goodyear store got them for me for $169 installed.

hmmmm16417 09-07-2010 09:29 PM

I just put the Dueler A/T Revo's on my jeep .... love them! (so far LOL) Locally, they wanted $792 installed....but shopped around and found 4 new ones on ebay from two different sellers for $397 including shipping!

I looked all over for something that was a bit aggressive looking yet usable on highway.... REVO's are very quiet and have some beefy looking tread

Redrubicon2004 09-07-2010 10:09 PM

I like Yokohama Geolander AT-S for a nice all weather tire. They are agressive in rain and snow, yet quiet and dont have an agressive sidewall so they look nice from the side. I think I got a quote for $700 or so?
http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar_ats.aspx

jeepnjeep 09-07-2010 10:11 PM

+1 on the General Grabber A/T2's. Love mine.

lmittell 09-08-2010 04:28 PM

I have Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenzas. I've never been a Bridgestone fan, but these have converted me. They're pretty spendy, but are the best on-road tires I've ever had on an SUV. They're extremely quiet and they have great on-road wet and dry traction. I haven't had them on snow or ice enough to have an opinion in that regard. I don't off-road, and I doubt they're the best choice for that.

Larry

05quadratrac 09-10-2010 02:56 PM

I bought the Bridgestone dueler D695 A/t after a lot of research in 245/65/17 and love them, they look good and ride awesome. 99% of my driving is on the road but they went through 20+ inches of snow this past winter like it was nothing. I think the d695 is a slightly less aggressive version of the revo but to me it looks the same, its a pretty beefy tire. I would get them again.

05quadratrac 09-10-2010 03:06 PM

Here is my tires after I had them put on. http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/pics-of-my-shorty-antenna-and-new-tires-6770.html