Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   How Difficult To Change Starter (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/how-difficult-to-change-starter-12634.html)

06HemiLtd 09-07-2010 08:00 PM

How Difficult To Change Starter

i know several on here have had their starters go out with well under 60k miles on their jeeps. i just hit 45k and mine is dead. just click, click, click. battery tested fine. can somebody walk me through changing it out. one of the threads said they removed the driveshaft. i've changed a few out and it's usually 2 bolts and 2 wires. any insight is appreciated.

ahamay115 09-07-2010 08:38 PM

Re: How Difficult To Change Starter

Out of the FSM:

1. Disconnect and isolate negative battery cable.
2. Raise and support vehicle.
3. Note: If equipped with 4WD and certain transmissions, a support bracket is used between front axle and side of transmission. Remove 2 support bracket bolts at transmission. Pry support bracket slightly to gain access to lower starter mounting bolt.
4. Remove two mounting bolts.
5. Move starter motor towards front of vehicle far enough for nose of starter pinion housing to clear housing. Always support starter motor during this process, do not let starter motor hang from wire harness.
6. Tilt nose downwards and lower starter motor far enough to access and remove nut that secures battery positive cable wire harness connector eyelet to solenoid battery terminal stud. Do not let starter motor hang from wire harness.
7. Remove battery positive cable wire harness connector eyelet from solenoid battery terminal stud.
8. Disconnect battery positive cable wire harness connector from solenoid terminal connector receptacle.
9. Remove starter motor.

There ya go! Haven't done it myself yet, but it doesn't sound to hard.

Good Luck,
-Chris

jeepnjeep 09-07-2010 10:15 PM

If it's 4WD there's no way to get the starter out without unbolting the drive shaft and moving it to the rear till it hits the gas tank. I tried, believe me, I did not want to remove the drive shaft but there was no way otherwise. Not really that hard but a pain in the ass for sure.
This was with the 4.7 but I'd imagine the Hemi is similar.

06HemiLtd 09-08-2010 07:49 AM

thanks for the replies. i went out this morning and it made a different sound (click and motor turning slightly). 2nd attempt it started right up. thought it had to be the battery cause they were known to not last 3 years. mine is at 5 now. drove out to the dealership and bought a new battery. installed it in their parking lot. it started perfect 5-6 times. shut it off. went back into dealership to return old battery. came out and click, click, click. went back in and ordered starter and sheild. should have it tomorrow. wish i had access to a lift.

cad70 09-08-2010 01:24 PM

I just removed mine from 2005 this morning. I had it replaced at a dealer but the problem, like yours, came back. I couldn't get the rear drivesharft bolts loose because the dealer mechanic rounded them off, but I was able to get starter out by moving front of driveshaft around. You need a long extension and a universal joint. I think the starter was reman since it only cost $90. If I get another one, I definitely want new. How much is your? I hate these intermittent problems--with the starter on the bench, I can't make it malfunction. Good luck

06HemiLtd 09-08-2010 07:45 PM

starter was $112. i also had to buy the shield because the mounting holes aren't the same on the mopar replacement ones. it was $33.

Gomer 12-19-2010 10:30 AM

My starter just went and i'll be changing it in the coming days. Mine wk has the full set of skidplate and i was wondering if it had to come off and how hard is it to remove.

SvenskaJeepGuy 12-19-2010 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06HemiLtd (Post 264609)
thanks for the replies. i went out this morning and it made a different sound (click and motor turning slightly). 2nd attempt it started right up. thought it had to be the battery cause they were known to not last 3 years. mine is at 5 now. drove out to the dealership and bought a new battery. installed it in their parking lot. it started perfect 5-6 times. shut it off. went back into dealership to return old battery. came out and click, click, click. went back in and ordered starter and sheild. should have it tomorrow. wish i had access to a lift.

good to hear it was just the battery, a dead starter will not make any noise when the key is turned.

2005JGC 12-19-2010 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 320135)
good to hear it was just the battery, a dead starter will not make any noise when the key is turned.

eh, it can click, usually will click actually.

SvenskaJeepGuy 12-20-2010 01:04 AM

mine just died two weeks ago, no click at all

DJ BoNiOmArIo 12-20-2010 01:29 AM

mine 4wd and i didn't have to remove the driveshaft when taking out the started, gotta admit though it was a pain in the ass to get it out of there, my hand did burn multiple times from the transmission bell house and exhaust :(

2005JGC 12-20-2010 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 320478)
mine just died two weeks ago, no click at all

yeah there are many ways a starter can fail, sometimes silence, sometimes clicking...