Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Heated Seats (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/heated-seats-12659.html)

stew930 09-08-2010 12:59 PM

Heated Seats

After the dealer replaced the headed seat elements due to the latest recall I don't really feel anything when the seats are on. Low nothing and Hi I really have to think to myself if I really even feel anything or if I just warmed up the seat from my body heat. Took it back to the dealer and they put in a new controller under the drivers seat and tested all the connections. According to the district manager if all the voltages are within spec they will not do anything else. Which sucks because the seats were perfect before they replaced them. Took it in for one issue and they just performed the recall while they had it. Contacted a dealer out of state and they said the new elements produce 40% less heat. I would assume I should still feel something on Low and especially on Hi. Contacted Jeep several times and all they do is document, aplogize, and say take it back. Been back several times and they say that everything possible has been replaced and if the district manager says the voltage is fine then case closed. Fall and Winter are coming and it would be nice to get these going. Any advise on what to do?

JeepMe 09-08-2010 01:53 PM

Re: Heated Seats

Quote:

Originally Posted by stew930 (Post 264728)
After the dealer replaced the headed seat elements due to the latest recall I don't really feel anything when the seats are on. Low nothing and Hi I really have to think to myself if I really even feel anything or if I just warmed up the seat from my body heat. Took it back to the dealer and they put in a new controller under the drivers seat and tested all the connections. According to the district manager if all the voltages are within spec they will not do anything else. Which sucks because the seats were perfect before they replaced them. Took it in for one issue and they just performed the recall while they had it. Contacted a dealer out of state and they said the new elements produce 40% less heat. I would assume I should still feel something on Low and especially on Hi. Contacted Jeep several times and all they do is document, aplogize, and say take it back. Been back several times and they say that everything possible has been replaced and if the district manager says the voltage is fine then case closed. Fall and Winter are coming and it would be nice to get these going. Any advise on what to do?

Why did they recall the heating elements? Since the new ones put out 40% less heat, I'm going to guess there was a risk (maybe not high risk) of them getting too hot and possibly catching fire. I would see if I could locate some of the old heating elements and hook those up. But that kind of defeats the purpose of the recall.

Chaoul1 09-08-2010 02:04 PM

The original heated seat elements could cause a high risk of a electrical fire. The seats were perfect in the winter time but sometimes they would actually burn you. Lol I'm not kidding!

stew930 09-08-2010 02:13 PM

I had read they were causing the underside of the leather seats to burn a little. Now I feel they disabled them if I can't even feel them warm up.

206WJ 09-08-2010 04:25 PM

It was a heat related issue, and can be fixed by re-soldering a connection yourself on the element of the origional one. That's what I did.

Since they replaced the element with the "New and improved" unit there isn't really anything you can do to get more heat out of it other than buying an aftermarket element that would be hotter.

Jaster386 09-10-2010 12:01 AM

Just got my notice in the mail for this too. Can you post instructions for the soldering? The vehicle is my wife's daily driver and she appreciates the heat on the cold mornings. I was thinking about taking it in, but if the heat output is going down by 40% then i probably won't do that now.

206WJ 09-10-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaster386 (Post 265994)
Just got my notice in the mail for this too. Can you post instructions for the soldering? The vehicle is my wife's daily driver and she appreciates the heat on the cold mornings. I was thinking about taking it in, but if the heat output is going down by 40% then i probably won't do that now.

The only bad part about the fix is that there is no way to trace the problem until the seat goes out.

As long is the heat is still working I can't help you trace where the problem is. :(

On the bright side I can't find any times they have actually cought fire. I know they will over time in the ZJ and WJ burn a small hole in the foam though. That's when they stop working.

KN0CW 09-10-2010 09:49 PM

I just picked up an '03 WJ and had the recall done and the seats seem to work just fine. I was driving it to work with no heat going up to Donner Summit in California. I have the infamous broken blend doors and had no heat in 34 degree weather, I was rather pleased to have the heated seats.

vicpick58 09-11-2010 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KN0CW (Post 266463)
I just picked up an '03 WJ and had the recall done and the seats seem to work just fine. I was driving it to work with no heat going up to Donner Summit in California. I have the infamous broken blend doors and had no heat in 34 degree weather, I was rather pleased to have the heated seats.

Same thing happened to me a couple years ago, I sat in the traffic back up at Truckee waiting for the pass to open with out heat on the drivers side due to the blend door.

The heated seat was the only thing keeping me from freezing my ass off.

I will NOT be taking mine in for this newest seat recall if it reduces the output by 40%.

paul_666 10-06-2010 08:57 AM

I would be interested on the soldering too - just picked up a 1999 WJ with no heating (blend doors - about to fix those, but only had it 1 day ;) ) noted that the heated seats were not functioning too. Light comes on both high and low and does not flicker at all, just no heat! Is it just something like a broken cable?

Cheers for any pointers

Paul

cheapjeep 10-06-2010 10:07 AM

40% less sounds about right.I can still feel em on both settings but not like I used to. Too bad cause that passenger side used to be a great pizza
heater:)

Forced Induction 10-06-2010 10:21 AM

I took the jeep in for seat heaters once already, and now they want me in again!?!?! What gives??
I'm with you guys, if they barely warm up I am not interested in their fix.