Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f80/)
-   -   2007 Grand Cherokee SRT8 electrical problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f80/2007-grand-cherokee-srt8-electrical-problems-12686.html)

jmckenzie 09-08-2010 09:51 PM

2007 Grand Cherokee SRT8 electrical problems

I got my 2007 Grand Cherokee SRT8 at the end of July. Last week, the moon roof started to act up. It stops 1/4 of the way when I press the button to open it, takes a few attempts to get it to open fully, then takes a few times to get it fully closed. Monday, I installed my HID low beam & fog light kits with bulb out warning eliminators for the low beams. When I started the car & switched the lights on to let the HIDs burn in, they came on fine & everything seemed ok. After a few minutes, I moved the switch back to automatic & the engine started to idle very rough, the RPMs bounced between 1,000 - 3,000 & it stalled after the check engine light came on. I pulled a code P0339 (Crankshaft position sensor A circuit intermittent) with my Predator & left it alone until making an appt. to have my local dealer take a look today.

This morning, the check engine light was off & the tech said that he didn't find any code stored in the computer. As I backed out of my driveway to go to work, the car rolled back like it was in neutral, then the transmission took over & started to move the car.

I've kept the headlight switch on automatic since I got the car, so I don't know if this is a new issue or if it had been there & just showed itself because I had to move the switch to turn on my headlights to make sure the kits were installed right & working. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? Could installing the HID kits have caused this problem? I'm taking it back to the dealership I bought it from on Monday to see if they can straighten it out. I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

muellge 09-08-2010 09:57 PM

Re: 2007 Grand Cherokee SRT8 electrical problems

maybe check the angle of it when it is closed? maybe it has something to do with that, or just sensitive anti crunch your fingers sensor setting.

YungSRT 09-08-2010 11:54 PM

Uninstall the HID's and see if that fixes the problem.

Escape 09-09-2010 08:51 AM

The Jeep does have a sensitive electrical system.

How are the HID's wired up? Are you using a relay for the switch and drawing power directly from the battery?

As for the sunroof have you cleaned and lubricated the guides and track?

jmckenzie 09-09-2010 03:43 PM

I don't have them with a relay, just the bulb out warning eliminator plugged into the wire harness from the car. I'm going to switch back to the halogen bulbs this weekend to see if it makes any difference. For the sunroof, the problem just started about a week ago & I've only owned the car for a month, since I bought it as certified pre owned, I'm going to see if the dealership I got it from will do anything to help me. I have an extended warranty on it & it also has ab few months left on the factory basic warranty.

GR33N D3M0N 09-09-2010 03:44 PM

for HIDs in the WKs you need to put in a relay harness...pretty cheap, and it saves all of those problems

jmckenzie 09-11-2010 12:41 PM

I switched back to my halogen bulbs today & the engine didn't stall or act funny, so I added a relay harness to my low beam HIDs. After that, I checked everything else that was acting up & my moon roof is working fine too. I had no idea that the electronics in the Grand Cherokee were that sensitive. I was using a similar kit in my 06 Charger with no relay & had no problems with it, so I thought that the Jeep would be ok without it. I'm glad I fixed this without a trip to the dealer. Thanks for your help.

GR33N D3M0N 09-11-2010 01:00 PM

:thumbsup: glad you got it figured out

ekaz 09-13-2010 09:25 AM

I did the same thing on my Charger, just plugged them in and everything was fine. Ordered the same kit for the Jeep and all hell broke loose. I actuall blew 2 main fuses and I couldn't do anything with my key fob.
Got a kit from XenonDepot that had the relays and everything, not one issue since....glad you figured it out.