Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Chat Session Wednesday 9/8/2010 at 6PM EDT (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f105/)
-   -   Summary of the Engineer Chat Session on 9-8-10 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f105/summary-of-the-engineer-chat-session-on-9-8-10-a-12687.html)

Knightrider03m 09-08-2010 10:13 PM

Summary of the Engineer Chat Session on 9-8-10

*****Please do not post anything in this thread, this is just a post of the answers that the Jeep engineers gave us from the questions that we asked but with less clutter*****

Note from Knightrider03m: In order to clear up a few things, I have edit some questions for spelling and/or to get to the question itself

***Original Jeep Engineer Chat***

Question:
1) Is there an issue with the Quadra-Lift on the Overland model. It seems most members Overlands are sitting in Quality Control/Storage/Inspection for an extra long time not shipping, while Lardeos are shipping?

2.) Are any Overlands being built to this day without Quadra-Lift even though its a standard option?

Answer:
1. We launched QL in late July as a late availability. We also combined additional features and colors for Overland model. This resulted in some delay of shipment. Now being launched

2.Yes, we launched without for first two months.

Question:
1- When lowered or lifted, how does the steering alignment (toe) not get out of whack?

2- Does the front knuckle hit the strut at the full lift point (as happens on lifted WKs)

3- With these in mind, and the fact that Quadra lift exists, will lifting a Laredo WK2 with an aftermarket kit basically create no foreseen ill effects?

4- Does the ESP have a special calibration for when Quadralift is activated (or in other words will a lift on a Laredo not freak it out)?

Answer:
It does modify slightly but within specs.

Packaged to not hit strut

Question:
What is the 2011 Grand Cherokee official Jeep designation, WL, WK, WK2, ?

Answer:
WK Gen 2, I know, I know but it is the same as the previous model.

Question:
Been mentioned a few times, Has the thought of the weight, increasing through the generations ever caused a red flag in point where its getting too heavy and less efficient as it could be?

Also why does the ram hemi have more power?

Answer:
Hemi in Ram has a higher output due to a different top end (Intake, heads, etc.)

Question:
Are there any plans to add direct injection to the pentastar V6 or dual exhaust (more aesthetically pleasing)?

Also are there any plans in the future to reduce size/weight of the Grand Cherokee. My favorite size was the ZJ as it was light and nimble (though the steering was sloppy).

I love the Grand CHerokees and owned 5 until my last one, 2006 WK overland, which was so problematic I traded in for a BMW 3 series. I hope to return to the WK2 once the reliability has been proven. Which i'm sure it will.

One more thing are there any plans to add Headlight washers, power folding mirrors (for tight New England garages and streets), and a front

ELSD?

Answer:
We have said it is in our plans but not given timing. Dual aslo is being considered on V-6.

Question:
As for the WK2, are there technical hurdles that prevent offering Quadra-Drive II with the V6 Pentastar?

Answer:
Durability of driveline.

Question:
Could someone ask about the 3.6L Pentastar and whether they are , in fact, shipping E85 versions? Mine is not, apparently, no yellow cap or badging. Literature from Jeep refers to E85 compatible but that has now disappeared in the glossy catalog and one reply I received on the phone from Jeep said it was "CARB STATE" restricted. I live in MD and this is a "Carb State" complying with California's emissions rules

Answer:
The V6 E85 is 42 state compliant. Recent emission changes in the CARB state require additional cat modifications. The hardware is the same for all states and we expect to be 50 state E85 certified soon. This reflects the changing regulatory challenges we all manage.

Question:
1. Could you explain which one is better and why in 430N and 730N navigation systems?

2. It looks like the 730N will be changing to Garmin in 2011...if I purchase the 730N now, will that be software-upgradeable in 2011?

Answer:
1. The 430N is the new Garmin Nav system. The main difference is that the Garmin system has new graphics and functionality, but does not include dead reconing (which tracks your mapping if you are in a tunnel or behind a building) or voice activation input.

2. Both Nav radios are capable of being updated.

Question:
Regarding the MP3023 TC can you run in sport for extnded periods and is it using a continuos duty bearing for the clutch actuator now? it didn't on GM trucks and when left in auto they crapped out the bearing.

Answer:
You can run in SPORT mode for an extended period. However, the vehicle will default to AUTO at key-cycle. The T-case manages the torque and we have validated the system.

Question:
When can I order a nappa brown leather interior having Overland? Because I am ready to donate a liver if need be

Answer:
The new Saddle brown leather will be available for dealer orders next week. It looks great.

Question:
Can you confirm with all the speculation going on, if there is going to be a 201x Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8?

Answer:
Cannot confirm nor deny.

Question:
I understand that during the first two months, the Overland did not include Quadra-Lift. I was wondering if to this day (For example Overland Models built within the past 2-4 weeks, are still shipping without Quadra-Lift due to a delay or if all models built after July 31st include Quadra Lift standard.

Answer:
Overlands now in production include Quadra-lift.

Question:
1. When can we expect the WKII to be released in Australia?

2. Is it expected to differ much technically to the domestic market WKII (electrical system, spring and shock tune, engine tune etc)?

3. When developing new vehicles, is any testing done outside of the US? ie, hot weather high speed testing in South Africa, or extreme cold testing in Arjeplog, Sweden?

4. Are the US manufactured Jeeps on par or exceeding the build and paint quality of the previous versions built in Graz, Austria?

Answer:
RHD production starts this month. Expect them late this year.

Question:
Why move the battery under the seat - being what looks like a bigger truck and with that one would think the engine compartment should have room for one since all other GC's are in the front... and why, while the numbers look good for it being a long lasting battery, is it replaced with a battery that is high dollar? ALSO would it be OK to replace it with say a traditional type of battery in an emergency, as I doubt wal-mart or auto parts store will have something like that in stock

Answer:
We packaged the battery under the passenger seat for three reasons....Lower CG (better dynamics), stable environment/life, and improved energy/impact management. Since this is a gel type battery, we stronglyrecommend you replace with the same construction for venting/performance.

Question:
when will the current model GC recieve Chryslers brand new 8 speed transmission? Also, what kind of fuel economy increase can we expect from such a change?

Answer:
We have publically stated that we will use the 8-speed in multiple future applications. I cannot state when for Grand Cherokee. Industry FE improvements for 2-3 speeds is in the 5-10 percent range.

Question:
On the Wk2, will there be an option to get quadra drive II with the pentastar V6? Thanks

Answer:
Not currently in the plan. I'm driving a V6 Quada-TracII and it's amazing where it will go ..... and get 22mpg.

Question:
Approximately how much do the skid plates that come with the off-road adventure II package weigh (in total)?

Can they all be easily removed?

Are the skid plates (with the off-road adventure II package) an addition to other protective shielding under the vehicle or do the skid plates replace the protection that comes standard with the vehicle?

Answer:
The skid plate package is 90-100 bs in total. They can be removed with some effort on a hoist (would not recommend). Most of the plates are added. The tank plate replaces the brush guard.

Question:
Do you have any exclusive info about the SRT WK gen 2's? Specifically what is the projected horse power rating.

Answer:
Cannot talk about future product. ;)

Question:
Please answer the numerous attempts to find out why a uni-frame vehicle with both front and rear independent suspension weighs in at a very bloated 2.5 tons.

Answer:
If you evaluate similar competition (Mercedes, BMW, Toyota...), the mass density is basically the same; structural improvements for worldwide requirements and significant standard features added some weight for 2011. Base curb weight of 4650 4x4 V6 to over 5000 lbs for V8 loaded.

Question:
Hi, ordered a 2011 overland 7-7-10 was told 4 wks by dealer chry. corp. tells me a tentative ship day 2 wks ago was 7-9-10 now they say call next week whats up guys?

Answer:
Thanks for your patience, we have strong demand for Overlands. Please ask the dealer to make sure that they have identified your new Jeep as a "Sold Order" so that we can expidite shipping.

Question:
Was there a particular reason that the decision was made to stay with "WK" and not advance the letters? It has always been handy for dealers, service techs and owners to "keep track" of the different generations as in the past, ZJ, WJ, WK. I noticed this was done with the LX as well, yet some of the other new models have new codes.

Answer:
When we were DaimlerChrysler, there was a plan to maintain all codes and the WK was the first to try. We won't be doing it again.

Question:
Can we expect a diesel in a future WK2, would it be Bluetec, would it have to use Urea?

Answer:
We have not talked about a diesel application in the US. It will be available overseas next year. Stringent emissions standards make it difficult in the US.

Question:
Is the top end interchangeable with the WK (both WK1 and WK2) with no ill effect

Answer:
I would recommend any top end engine changes (sensors, sealing, electrical..). The 2011 V8 engine reflects the Hemi refinements from 2009 MY. We also boasted HP/torque in 2011 with reduced exhaust back-pressure and calibrations. We did change the oil pan for 2011 to package with the front diff.

Question:
On the jeep.com website it say the 430n has an operational part
(. The Uconnect™ Voice Command with Remote USB Port is optional.) My local dealer has no idea and I have called the Jeep owner hotline and they had no information even though its on the website but no order info.Is this a jeep option or a aftermarket. Is there any information you can give on what this is and if it can be ordered yet

Answer:
All vehicles that have Uconnect phone also include a remote USB port or UCI interface. This is optional on Lardeo E, stadard on Laredo X, Limited and Overland. The USB port connects audio devices (i-pod / i-Phone) to the radio and will with use of the audio controls.

Question:
what is the reason/use for the plastic trim on the fenders?

Answer:
Styling and added protection from road blast.

Question:
I would like to know why the diesel was never offered in the Wrangler line for North America?

Answer:
The NAFTA diesel challenge is a hotly discussed topic in the industry. We have diesels in our European Jeeps and have had prior NAFTA versions. The 50-state emissions on NoX since late 2008 has changed the business case for all of us. The after-treatment technology is well known, but expensive. We continue to monitor the market and demand for a future opportunities.

Question:
There seems that are alot of things being added to the overland each month. Will we be able to add these features though dealerships if we order now i.g. blind spot detection/Adaptive Speed Control or is there a hardware change that would prevent this

Answer:
ACC and Blind spot detection options will be available for order next week. These features are not easily added to the vehicle after production.

Question:
Why was the wk designed with NO 2WD option? is it not durable to be able to go from 2wd to 4wd ?

Answer:
When you're in auto mode, most of the torque goes to the rear in dry conditions. There is a negligible amount of parasitic loss but it's engineered for efficiency.

Question:
Why, even on a fully loaded Overland, are there inert/dummy button areas on the dash/HVAC?

It is obviously necessary to have these buttons as a placeholder on lower models, but why would a fully loaded Overland still have them?

Answer:
The HVAC blank is for the Durango rear HVAC control. We use one spot on the center switch for a BUX model feature. We left a few more on the NAFTA 7-gang switch for future options/ideas.

Question:
Better than the 05-10 QTII? (Knightrider03m edit: This question was asked in regards to how the WK2 QD 4WD system compare with the WK1 QT2 4WD system)

Answer:
Yes.

Question:
You said the saddle interior can be ordered next week. I am hoping to pair that with the Mineral Grey. When will the Mineral Grey be able to be ordered?

Answer:
Next week also.

Question:
Is there some sort of format required on the USB drive that is transferring music files over, like FAT or NTFS?

Answer:
Mine takes my files but you'll need a computer programmer to answer that. (Irf then responded to this: most usb sticks are fat32... i have a computer degree :))

Question:
In previous v6 models the gearing restricted the towing capacity on the WK1. With the WK2 is the gearing the same as as the hemi's?

Answer:
We did increase the V6 towing capacity from 3500 to 5000 lbs on the 2011 model. This was accomplished with the engine higher torque, standard oil cooler, radiator density, and axle ratio. The V8 does have a heavy duty cooling system, higher torque, and different axle ratios for 7200-7400 lb capacity.

Question:
What are the official 0-60 times for the V6 and the Hemi?

Answer:
~8.9 for V-6
~7.8 for V-8

Question:
How confident is Jeep that the air suspension will hold up? It seems Land Rover has somewhat pioneered this area but they never really worked out the bugs.

Answer:
We have undergone extensive durability testing with this new feature to make sure it has the capability and durability of a Jeep. We have learned from other (Competition) systems and have done some unique things with our system. For example our air lines are inside the vehicle for durability.

Question:
Why were gerotor pumps available in 1999-2004 Grand Cherokee abandoned for present transfer case (Quadra Track II) and use of brakes to shift power to wheels with traction in 2011 Overland with 3.6 L engine?

Answer:
We use internal clutch pack/motors in both the T-case and ELSD rear differential to transfer torque. This has proven to be more refined and controllable with electronics/software. The technology is proven and more efficient.

Question:
Out of curiosity, are the lug nuts on the new WK the same as the ones on the WJ? (plastic covers over the nut)

Answer:
No, Todays are a solid lug nut.

Question:
Is there a way to get the dealer to make the WK2 NOT revert back to AUTO model at key-cycle and remain on what you placed it at? Sport, Auto, Mud etc.

Answer:
No

Question:
I own a 99 WJ Grand Limited 4.7 and my buddy owns a 04 WJ Jeep Grand Limited. His air condition blower moves a lot more air (cfm's) than mine. I have heard this was an upgrade made to the 02 models. There are many of us with 99 models who would like to know what were the changes to increase the airflow out the ductwork so summer will be more comfortable.

Answer:
The cooling system was improved over the vehicle history. There are basically three main technical levers, HVAC capacity, blower motor size, and duct routing/size There is no easy way to exchange or update HVAC system parts between the tow model years.

Question:
Why was the hand brake changed to a foot brake?

Answer:
The center console is like Manhattan (very valuable real-estate). By re-locating the park brake to the floor we were able to make the center console bigger and more useable with bennifits like more storage and well-placed cup holders.

Question:
People that use the roof racks will have an issue with the antenna sticking up from the middle of the roof. For example if I carry my snowboard or kayak on the roof of the new wk2 the antenna would be in the way. Will there be a kit to move the antenna?

Answer:
We did test the rear roof antenna with roof carriers and canoes during development. It does bend and return. This is an ideal location for the performance. You can easily unscrew the mast if desired for a trip. Just after launch, we also reduced the height of the mast by 2".

Question:
Any changes to the hemi regarding the infamous "Hemi tick." Has the problem been addressed?

Answer:
The V8 Hemi used on the 2011 MY vehicle performs well for both NVH and performance. There is no tick issue.

Question:
Another order question - ordered an Overland V-8 August 6th. Told we might have to wait til the end of December - ouch. Ordered from the largest volume dealer in Houston.

Answer:
The new Overland has been very well recieved and we are working to expidite all sold orders. Please make sure that the dealer puts your customer name and address on the order so that we can identify the order to expidite.

Question:
i know before releasing the WK gen2 to the public a good deal of them were put threw the basic wear and tear of basic driving to find flaws/bugs. i dont remember how many miles they were put threw but i know everything with a hinge was opened a few items and all items were tested daily.

were allot of flaws/bugs discovered from this?
if so can you talk about any of them and how they were fixed?

Answer:
We tested the new WK with over 10 million equivalent customer miles. This is a significant increase from prior models. One of the great benefits of the Fiat involvement in the launch phase was an increased focus on more on-road pre-launch validation. There were daily calls with the team on all new issues to ensure they were fixed fast. While I cannot provide details on any specific issue during our hardware prove-out and production validation phases, it was in the thousands of issues resolved before V1.

Question:
In terms of trail water crossing, how much can the 2011 Trail Rated Larado handle?

Answer:
We test for 20" and have unique features like an air intake above the grille and vented drive lines to help with this.

Question:
How long is both the V6 and the V8 expected to last (in miles)

Answer:
We design the powertrain and Jeep to last 150,000 customer miles. This can be increased for with excellent vehicle maintenance/use.

Question:
If I get the 430n and find that I do not like it and want to upgrade to the 730n rhr when the new comes out will it be interchangeable

Answer:
You can but it come at extra cost. Can't imagine you will need to change it out.

Question:
Do the fog lights in the wk2 come with hid lights standard?

Answer:
HID standard on Limited and Overland only.

Question:
One of the topics most often discussed relating to the new WK is the mysterious "disappearance" of the front ELSD. It's mentioned in the early literature and manuals, it has a part number, yet it never appeared when production started. The off-road community feels a lot of capability has been lost without the front ELSD. What was the reason it was decided to not use it, or will it reappear someday?

Answer:
The front ELSD was not need to make this new Jep the most capable Grand Cherokee yet. The chassis electronics (esp, abs, traction controll) systems are soo fast not that we were able to get amazing traction without a front ELSD. I can tell you from expreience (Moab ect) this Jeep will go anywhere.

Question:
can you explain the elsd a little to us. Weve had deep discussions into how it works on the wk2. aslo how does the front axle handle wheel slip now that the front elsd is gone...for now?

Answer:
The Electronic Locking Slip Differential (ELSD) essentually uses a clutch pack/motor to transfer torque seemlessly right-left. We use the throttle position sensor to monitor driver feedback and the wheel slip sensors to monitor tire traction. The software monitors all system performance and moves torque when needed.

Now...the discussion of the ELSD on the front was a very lengthly internal Jeep team discussion early in the program. We found in our testing that the better BLD software performance, slightly bigger brakes, improved fuel efficiency/reduced friction, and new T-case torque transfer out-weighed the potential front ELSD benefit. Bottom line, we believe the off-road and on-road performance are maximized with our 2011 system.

Question:
why is the diffs changed from 3.47 to 3.09 on the off road package?

Answer:
The axle ratio on all V6 applications is 3.07:1 and V8 3.45:1. With the higher torque/HP on the V6 coupled with the A580, we utilize the 3:07 ratio to maximize FE. This ratio is independent of off-road package.

Question:
Any idea what the tallest tire (30" 31" 32") will fit without clearance issues?

Have the UCA balljoints been beefed up for 2011?

Do you think the air susp system will make it harder for aftermarket lifts?

Answer:
Designed for 30.5 inch tire. That's what we recommend.

Question:
Is something akin to OnStar in development? If so, will it remotely disable the engine to halt a stolen vehicle? And will it include a provider-agnostic WiFi/MiFi hotspot?

Answer:
Not that we can comment on. Mopar has a nice WiFi option.

Question:
Do you have the Backspacing and Offset numbers handy for the 17", 18" and 20" wheels?

Answer:
Not handy.

Question:
why was the rear wiper moved to the rear glass? it seems to be in the way

Answer:
The glass mounted blade performs better in wipe coverage and system reliability. With the steeper glass slope, this allowed us to provide almost 180 degree wipe and tighter package to the spoiler. We also maintained the flipper glass feature for ease of use without motor/blade interlocks.

Question:
A feature I have really liked on prior Grand Cherokees that I have owned has been the Adjustable Pedals. I noticed that they are not offered on the new Grand Cherokee, is there a reason they are no longer available?

Answer:
Manual and power telescoping package and additional seat adjustments more than compensate.

Question:
Why was the decision made to not offer roof cross rails on any of the WK2 models, when it has always been an option before on previous GC versions?

Answer:
Standard or optional roof rails adversely impact aerodynamics and FE for many customers that do not use the feature (2-3% aero loss). We developed a MOPAR sets of rails that integrate well with the side rails and perform well in load testing for those customers that desire the feature.

Question:
Is Jeep planning to allow the customers check the status of a vehicle online?

Answer:
Not yet but it's something we are looking into.

Question:
What is the reason for using fabric inner wheel wells instead of the usual plastic, I believe they will be difficult to keep clean looking and never mind standing up to power washers.

Answer:
Good question.....We started with simple plastic liners and developed the acoustic liners to improve road isolation and NVH. It made a significant improvement on salty and gravel roads. This technology is used on some very expensive luxury models. We tested this design in all snow, mud, and Jeep environments to ensure it lasts. They work very well in car washes and sprayers.

Question:
Has their been any snow tests yet? How do they perform? (Knightrider03m EDIT: This was asked in regards to the new QD2 system)

Answer:
Yes - We sure have and it rocks in the snow (I actually just spent five minutes trying to paste in some cool pictures...didn't work). In "snow" mode it is very ballanced and tracks like a scribe. In "Sport" mode you can pitch the Jeep sideways and really have fun.

Question:
There are compartments/covers under the front seats. The passenger side contains the battery of course. But the drivers side compartment has one of several configurations:
1. Empty 2. Bracket and one electronic box with connectors/cables 3. Bracket and three or four electronic boxes with connectors/cables.

What are these various configurations? What additional measures were taken to make these undercarriage compartments water tight? Are these compartments a carry-over from the Mercedes underpinnings?

Answer:
Regarding the Mercedes question, the front floor system and underseat compartments are very similar. We also design the floor to seal from underbody water and the lids for simple spills.

Knightrider03m 09-08-2010 10:55 PM

Re: Summary of the Engineer Chat Session on 9-8-10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 265182)
Ok guys...just talked to the engineering group and they are ecstatic at the reception here and the passion of our site and members! There will be more chats! Hopefully maybe the first quarter of the year. A lot of you guys have new 2011's on order and the questions will come!

Thanks to The Jeep Engineers, Phil Jansen and Nick! Awesome chat!

Knightrider03m 09-08-2010 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 265206)
guys......we will be takeing some questions that they may have missed or got lost in the shuffle. So if you had a question(tech please) please post it after this post and Phil and his group will do their best to answer it. Ill wait 48 hours for the questions and then I'll send those to them.

Phil addressed some of the order questions to me. He advises to call jeep customer sevice...as they have no idea about wait etc. for orders!

robpp 09-09-2010 09:21 AM

some cant read. post deleted.

and thread locked as requested.........................

marcus, any of us mods/admins can open this or add stuff. just let us know.