Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   GC '98 with 5.2 V8 vs '11 with V6 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/gc-98-with-5-2-v8-vs-11-with-v6-12714.html)

JoeSchmoe007 09-09-2010 04:37 PM

GC '98 with 5.2 V8 vs '11 with V6
 
I am coming from GC' 98 with 5.2 V8. I've been satisfied with this engine from acceleration point of view. I never tow anything or go offroad.

I am trying to understand if GC '11 with V6 will have equivalent acceleration.

I understand it is about torque and horsepower and that those are related.

'98 with 5.2 V8 (I found '96 data here: http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicl...ws/wk9627.html, '98 is probably very close):

220 HP @ 4400 RPM
300 LB-FT @ 3200 RPM

'11 with V6 (data from jeep.com)

290 HP @ 6400 RPM
260 LB-FT @ 4800 RPM

So what I see is that '98 max HP is at lower RPM (98 wins, correct?) but HP for '98 itself is 70 HP less than '11 V6 ('11 V6 wins)

'98 torque is higher (98 wins, correct?) at lower RPM (98 wins, correct?) than '11 V6

Also, 0-60 for V8 98 is 8.4 sec (from the source above) and for V6 '11 is 8.9 sec (from yesterday chat)

So what does this mean in real life?

Looks about equivalent to me but I don't know nothing.

DJ BoNiOmArIo 09-09-2010 04:39 PM

Re: GC '98 with 5.2 V8 vs '11 with V6
 
if ur not in to hauling ass then go for V6

maxst2 09-09-2010 04:40 PM

Re: GC '98 with 5.2 V8 vs '11 with V6
 
Go drive a WK2, IMO your getting a heavy suv... its not exactly made to do rocket 0-60 runs. (srt8)

Technosavant 09-09-2010 04:58 PM

Re: GC '98 with 5.2 V8 vs '11 with V6
 
The "official" 0-60 time is pessimistic- actual tests show about 8.5, which puts it into the same ballpark as your 5.2 V8.

Anything less than a half second is really not that significant- you'd only notice the difference at a drag strip with perfect launches. A second or more, sure. Less than a half? Nope.

If you're satisfied with your current acceleration, I expect you'd be satisfied with the V6. You may need to wind the engine up a bit more (less torque with a higher torque peak), but overall affect won't be much different. Drive one so you can tell for sure.

JoeSchmoe007 09-09-2010 05:01 PM

Re: GC '98 with 5.2 V8 vs '11 with V6
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 265735)
The "official" 0-60 time is pessimistic- actual tests show about 8.5, which puts it into the same ballpark as your 5.2 V8.

Anything less than a half second is really not that significant- you'd only notice the difference at a drag strip with perfect launches. A second or more, sure. Less than a half? Nope.

If you're satisfied with your current acceleration, I expect you'd be satisfied with the V6. You may need to wind the engine up a bit more (less torque with a higher torque peak), but overall affect won't be much different. Drive one so you can tell for sure.

Thanks, this is what I was looking for

Jim Hef 09-09-2010 05:53 PM

Re: GC '98 with 5.2 V8 vs '11 with V6
 
The engineers last night stated the factory line for the Hemi is 7.8 seconds to 60, which is about the same as the 5.2 did in the ZJs. Car tests put the Hemi at 7.3, right around the time of the 5.7 WJs. I think the new V6 is somewhat faster than the older 4.0 sixes in the ZJ and WJ though, but not by much.

Scottina06 09-09-2010 07:22 PM

Re: GC '98 with 5.2 V8 vs '11 with V6
 
I also think the aftermarket will be pretty good for the 3.6 due to it being used in many ChryCo apps....
maybe a tuner and some 93 fuel will improve acceleration even more/???

Joe in PA 09-09-2010 07:43 PM

Re: GC '98 with 5.2 V8 vs '11 with V6
 
Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races. If it is the seat of the pants that you use to decide how fun a vehicle is to drive on a daily basis, you need to consider the horsepower to weight and torque to weight ratios. The reason your 98 "feels" good to drive is the relative light weight and high torque. That is what throws you back in the seat when launching from a dead stop or flooring it while rolling. The WK2 weighs a good bit more than the old ZJs and for reasons that only a marketing bean counter would support, Jeep went with a high hp number for its V6 and dropped the ball on the torque. It will help sell the Grands, it won't please those that place a high priority on enjoying the ride as much as simply reaching one's destination.

Buy the hemi or kick yourself the next 5 years foe the decision to settle for the v6 as "good enough." ;)

JoeSchmoe007 09-09-2010 08:16 PM

Re: GC '98 with 5.2 V8 vs '11 with V6
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe in PA (Post 265817)
Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races. If it is the seat of the pants that you use to decide how fun a vehicle is to drive on a daily basis, you need to consider the horsepower to weight and torque to weight ratios. The reason your 98 "feels" good to drive is the relative light weight and high torque. That is what throws you back in the seat when launching from a dead stop or flooring it while rolling. The WK2 weighs a good bit more than the old ZJs and for reasons that only a marketing bean counter would support, Jeep went with a high hp number for its V6 and dropped the ball on the torque. It will help sell the Grands, it won't please those that place a high priority on enjoying the ride as much as simply reaching one's destination.

Buy the hemi or kick yourself the next 5 years foe the decision to settle for the v6 as "good enough." ;)

I am gonna go MAD trying to make up my mind! MAD, I tell ya! Yes, I like being thrown back in my seat, is that wrong :D?

Hemi's price premium is not a problem. Neither is gas mileage - I only drive 4-5,000 miles a year. I don't know what the future holds but in any case fuel savings relatively to V6 are not that much.

What really concerns me is that infamous HEMI tick that Jeep engineer said (yesterday here in the char) doesn't exist in '11 (however one of the forum members heard something like that from HEMI in the showroom). I know I get I WILL kick myself. I have sensitive hearing. And I don't upgrade my cars often - had my '98 for 10 years and would have it for at least another 5 if it wasn't totaled 2 weeks ago (details are here http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/check-out-this-flex-12609.html).

In addition the infamous "shudder issue" that applies only to Jeeps with HEMI doesn't seem to be fixed by TSB completely yet.

Technosavant 09-09-2010 08:22 PM

Re: GC '98 with 5.2 V8 vs '11 with V6
 
The easy way to tell is just to drive both of them. It's not too difficult to find both powertrains. I didn't find enough difference to pop for the Hemi.

JoeSchmoe007 09-09-2010 08:29 PM

Re: GC '98 with 5.2 V8 vs '11 with V6
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 265831)
The easy way to tell is just to drive both of them. It's not too difficult to find both powertrains. I didn't find enough difference to pop for the Hemi.

I have test drive scheduled for this Sat :D

routh 09-10-2010 09:39 AM

Re: GC '98 with 5.2 V8 vs '11 with V6
 
I just test drove a V6 4x4 Laredo last night and it was good enough. It definitely feels better than the 3.7L (not saying much) but worse than the 4.7L H.O. in my 02 Overland. I have not tested the Hemi since they only had base Laredos at the dealer. I'm probably going to get the V6 since I don't tow and have a fairly long commute.

Has anyone with a V6 tried putting it in tow haul mode and sport mode to see if it livened it up? The might make the V6 more appealing if you can do that when you feel like flogging it but still get the better mileage for the daily commute.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community