Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Do the turn signals "click"? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/do-the-turn-signals-click-12762.html)

Kev- 09-10-2010 06:07 PM

Do the turn signals "click"?

In some newer vehicles I've noticed that there's no longer a genuine "tick" or "click" sound when the turn signals are on. Instead, it seems to be an artificial sound generated by what might be a small speaker or something. I rented an H3 a couple years ago which did this and when I had music on, I would repeatedly not notice the turn signals being left on.

It seems to be that I can "feel" the clicking from ordinary turn signals, and/or the nature of a semi-mechanical click sound as it travels through the air (or through the steering wheel into my arms and through the body) allows it to penetrate musical sound and other noise to reach my conscious hearing.

So... does the WK2 have a genuine mechanical sounding click with the turn signals are on? Am I the only person who's ever noticed this, or had this problem? heheheh.

I suppose this isn't a deal breaker, but I'm curious, heheh.

dubwarren 09-10-2010 06:10 PM

Re: Do the turn signals "click"?

ill go test it out and let you know....i cant say that i remember a loud tick....

robpp 09-10-2010 06:35 PM

even the WK has no 'flasher' but the blink is controlled by the computer.

i dont know if they add an ARTIFICIAL CLICK but it would make sense as an audio reminder to shut the blinky off.

Djeazie 09-10-2010 09:54 PM

Yes it makes a clicking noise.

Kev- 09-10-2010 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djeazie (Post 266470)
Yes it makes a clicking noise.

But does it sound like an artificially generated clicking sound, or like a mechanical click?

I actually hope it has a mechanical click, since that's how I'm accustomed to noticing the blinkers being on after making a turn, heheh.

Yeah, I notice weird things. :D

Djeazie 09-11-2010 01:48 AM

Sounds mechanical but its probably not. Dont take this the wrong way but, turn signal noise would be the last thing I would worry about. LOL

Kev- 09-11-2010 04:34 AM

It's really just a curiosity to me :) I will still intend to buy a wk2 either way, I can adapt to not having the mechanical click :P But something reminded me about my past experience with newer (2006+) American vehicles, so I asked :)

StoneCold 09-11-2010 05:09 AM

I've noticed in the new Vauxhalls over here, the turn signals make a really weird noise, almost like a popping sound, kinda hard to describe, but it's not a tick and it's extremely irritating. Plus you have to shut it off manually as well, by pushing down on the stick.:confused:

Sid Fields 09-11-2010 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev- (Post 266538)
It's really just a curiosity to me :) I will still intend to buy a wk2 either way, I can adapt to not having the mechanical click :P But something reminded me about my past experience with newer (2006+) American vehicles, so I asked :)

Deal breaker for me. I'm getting a 4Runner. JUST KIDDING!!!

SvenskaJeepGuy 09-14-2010 07:12 PM

i rented a focus in florida and the artifical turn signal "pop" was impossible to hear with the radio on.

Technosavant 09-14-2010 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Fields (Post 266540)
Deal breaker for me. I'm getting a 4Runner. JUST KIDDING!!!

Well, there's always the Murano... :p

dubwarren 09-14-2010 08:31 PM

ha. murano. ha.