Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Overland vs Limited for best ride (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/overland-vs-limited-for-best-ride-12782.html)

ftffom 09-11-2010 01:54 PM

Overland vs Limited for best ride

I am torn between the Overland and Limited (4x4 with hemi).

My off-road driving will be minimal. I need the 4x4 capability for winter driving, but otherwise, want to get the absolutely best ride available.

I have driven an Overland with standard 20" wheels and the Limited with the standard 18" wheels (both 4x4 with hemi) and could not tell much difference, but the test drive enviornment only gives limited experience.

Which wheel/tire combination will give the best ride (absorbing road imperfections), minimizing noise and on-road handling? The price difference for replacement tires seems minimal, so this is not a big consideration.

My second question is how much the Quadra-Lift will improve ride quality during on-road driving? I'm wonder if the improvement in the ride quality is sufficient to offset the potential additional maintenance cost with this system.

These answer to these two questions will determine whether I go with the Overland versus Limited. I am trying to be patient until I can test drive a vehicle with the Quadra-Lift.

Red G8R 09-11-2010 01:59 PM

Re: Overland vs Limited for best ride

I think many are waiting to try a Quadra-Lift...I'm one too; so maybe by October we may see some feedback.

Jeeters 09-11-2010 09:08 PM

The 20" tires would give you better handling, but wouldn't absorb road problems and pot holes as good. Might not be much difference in tire prices, but I bet the 18" rim has more choices for replacement tires; especially if you wanted A/T tires.

I've read the Quadra-Lift gives quite a difference in the ride; I also recommend waiting to try it based on what you seem to want.

Jeff_Jeske 09-11-2010 10:36 PM

I would think being able to lower the truck at cruise could help enhance the feel of the vehicle on windy or twisty roads.

Jim Hef 09-12-2010 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeters (Post 266798)
...but I bet the 18" rim has more choices for replacement tires; especially if you wanted A/T tires....

Yes, already dialed in the sizes at the TireRack site, and A/T treads aren't available yet in the 20" stock size. The closest I found was a 32" tire, rather than the standard 30-1/2" size. Lots of choices in the 18" size though, but the 20" wheels are better looking on this Jeep in my opinion.

Kev- 09-12-2010 08:40 PM

My estimate is QL will give a nicer ride, but that's just an estimate.

Your desires for tires are three things: absorbing road imperfections, lower noise, and better handling. The last of these is in conflict to the first two, to some extent. Having a higher profile tire (smaller wheels) will result in a bit less responsiveness, but will give a smoother ride and less noise. As Jeeters and Jim Hef said, there's going to be a lot more tire choices for 18" as well, which can mean finding "just the right tire".

I'll be getting the 18" wheels when the time comes, and a nice set of ATs from tirerack. It's a big, heavy, luxury SUV, and I want it to have a luxurious ride.

ChrisWk 09-12-2010 08:57 PM

WAIT for the QL better resale. And it is cool.

Chris

Marlin 09-12-2010 09:21 PM

Definately try before you buy.

Air suspenion doesn't neccesarily mean aa better ride. Eg, VW Toureg, the steel suspensed versions are much more supple than the air suspended models, especially over high frequency bumps.

jpsmith 09-13-2010 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev- (Post 267239)
I'll be getting the 18" wheels when the time comes, and a nice set of ATs from tirerack. It's a big, heavy, luxury SUV, and I want it to have a luxurious ride.

AT tires will detract from the luxury of the ride. The more aggressive your tread pattern, the noisier the ride will be with more of a hum/vibration. Most ATs aren't too bad; it's not until you step into a mud terrain that tire vibe gets ridiculous, but still some ATs offer a less-than-smooth ride. Also, if you're not going to be rock crawling, I recommend sticking with a p-metric tire instead up upping the sidewall to load range C or higher. A softer sidewall will offer a cushier ride at the expense of steering response, puncture resistance, and load capacity.

I had Firestone Destination AT's on my Liberty and loved them. They aren't the most aggressive looking tire, but they look much better than any of the stock WK2 rubber. What I really liked about them was the tread was designed to be noise cancelling. That is, the tread lugs generated rolling noise that destructively interfered with that from the other lugs, creating a quiet AT tire. These tires performed great in the wet/snow/mud, too. The KJ felt like a mountain goat after I had these mounted. I'll be putting these on my WK2 when I wear out the crappy michelins it came with.

Jim Hef 09-13-2010 10:38 AM

I now have the Destinations on my WJs, and they are very good...smooth and quiet, and very capable. They are not quite as strong as the Revos, but are about 2/3 the price. My experience with Pirelli Scorpion A/Ts was not a good one, with terrible balance problems, requiring 14 ozs on one, and 16 ozs on another. Very noisy at 3/4 wear factor also.

Bob WK2 09-13-2010 10:20 PM

I drove both the Overland and Limited to experience the difference in the ride. I ordered the Limited as I preferred the stiffer feel as opposed to more of a floating (but not bad) ride in the Overland. I also factored in the potential maintenance problems in this more sophisticated system as it ages.

Kev- 09-14-2010 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpsmith (Post 267356)
I had Firestone Destination AT's

Those Firestone Destination ATs are just what I was looking at based on the reviews on TireRack which indicate all the things you mentioned. :) But I probably won't wait to wear out the stock rubber.

The Firestones are rated 2271 lb max load and 44 psi max inflation for the WK2's size, is that within the load range you're talking about for a still-smooth ride?