Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   Oil sludge problem 4.7 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/oil-sludge-problem-4-7-a-12827.html)

Frango100 09-12-2010 08:23 PM

Oil sludge problem 4.7

Surfing around on the net i found a lot of problems with oil sludge in the 4.7 engines on the Dodge Durango. Being in fact the same engine as we have in our WJ, i was just wondering if you guys (or girls) have encountered any problems with sludge formation?

Unholyskorn86 09-13-2010 12:18 AM

Re: Oil sludge problem 4.7

dunno but try some seafoam bro...did it on mine at 120k and noticed alot better response time.

StoneCold 09-13-2010 03:54 AM

Can't say I have Frank. I've had a couple of oil changes and no real problems. Although I did experience some sludge on the oil cap, that thankfully was just down to a very cold winter and the fact that I don't do many miles, so condensation built up.

Clean it all out and it's been fine ever since.

FlyinRyan 09-13-2010 08:08 AM

Everyone talks about this. Its a bit blown out of proportion. Change your oil regularly and you'll never encounter it.

Jim Hef 09-13-2010 11:21 AM

Agreed, and for even more help, use synthetics. Do the Seafoam in the crankcase, and then 500 miles later change the oil and filter. Any 'sludge' that shows on the oil filler is just some foaming that happens there, and was actually 'solved' by changing the design of the oil filler neck on later WJs. Although I haven't torn into it to check for sludge, I have 165k on my 4.7, and there's no indication that sludge is a factor. It still gets Mobil 1 every 5-7k.

straty1987 09-13-2010 03:06 PM

the 4.7 in the dodge durango has the slug problem really when you look into it

the 4.7 jeep dose not have that problem if you change the oil like in most cars/suvs

Frango100 09-14-2010 09:02 PM

Unfortunately the famous seafoam is not available in Brazil. My car has no problems sofar, but also would like to be ahead of them. Any serious problems would mean overhere real skyhigh bills. So better prevent than..................
But good to hear that (for whatever reason) the Jeep 4.7 does not have serious sludge problems.
My car has now 125000 Km on the clock and i was just thinking in putting some oil system cleaning additive in it just before the next oil change and then to drop the pan to clean the oil pump strainer. Good idea or not?

Jim Hef 09-15-2010 11:10 PM

It's a major job to drop the pan in these things, but do look at it and see if it has any rusted areas. It's fairly common to find these rotted out. There are many "crankcase flush" products that you may be able to find down there, so check around. Rislone is a brand here that is a good detergent to add to the oil, and it's not just a 500 mile drive thing.

pemberto 09-17-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 268163)
My car has now 125000 Km on the clock and i was just thinking in putting some oil system cleaning additive in it just before the next oil change. Good idea or not?

I usually do this every 30K or so. I dropped the pan once to do a thorough cleaning at 100K and it was definitely a few man job. I'd put in the additive and take a look at your spent oil next time you change to see if you can notice a difference. I switched to Synthetic at the same time I started putting additive in and noticed much cleaner waste oil. I cannot say for sure whether it was the additive or switching to synthetic, but I've had no probs

Frango100 09-17-2010 02:35 PM

Hi pemberto, is it necessary to lower the front axle to remove the oil pan? And how was the oil inlet screen, any debris on it.
I'm using semi-syntetic Mobil 1 5W30 in my jeep for some time and nothing to complain sofar. Only after cold start some lifter tick for a 10 seconds, but then it silences. Seems to be normal.

hamuel2003 09-17-2010 09:56 PM

You should be able to get the pan out by simply unbolting the exhaust from the headers and removing the starter. It's a tight fit, but you will eventually get it out. The hardest part on mine was getting the exhaust off since the tab that holds the bolt on top bent, and it just spun, ended up having to get a grinder in there and cut off the bolt which was not fun.