Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - ZJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f78/)
-   -   Looking at getting a ZJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f78/looking-at-getting-a-zj-12833.html)

Kev- 09-13-2010 03:55 AM

Looking at getting a ZJ
 
Hey all, over the last couple years I've become a poster-boy for the recession. I had a nice car but had to sell it at break-even last year and have been without a vehicle for the first time since my first car 15 years ago.

I'm getting back on my financial feet, and I need a vehicle again. I'm a Jeep fan, so I was looking at the ZJ, there seems to be quite a few available in my target price range on craigslist.

Is it hard to find one in reliable condition? What are some things I should keep an eye out for, problem-wise? I work from home now, so I'll just be driving it a few days per week, not very many miles. I expect to be able to get a new vehicle (wk2!) by early next year, so the ZJ won't have to last me forever. But, it may need to survive a couple 1200+ mile trips without stranding us :)

Tips, advice, and such invited and appreciated, thanks!

Knightrider03m 09-13-2010 11:11 AM

Re: Looking at getting a ZJ
 
You will love the ZJ. Very easy to work on and have enough room to store you crap.

For your questions;
-You can find on in good condition

- Keep a look out for the trans. If it hasn't been overhauled AND it has over 120K, you may want to save up. If you get the 5.9L, keep a good eye on that engine. 5.9s are great but suck on how they made the engine. I would recommend getting the old trusty 4.0L.

Jim Hef 09-13-2010 11:16 AM

Re: Looking at getting a ZJ
 
I'll play Dutch Uncle on this one: If you are short of cash, this is not something to look into right now for you. The maintenance and repair costs of these Jeeps are more than the value of the vehicle, even if you are doing the work yourself. Water pumps, a/c units, transfer cases, transmissions...all seem to creep into play starting between 90-125k. The engines last forever, but the other parts seem to fall of them constantly. Wait until you get back on your feet, and they get one to play with.

JoeSchmoe007 09-13-2010 03:38 PM

Re: Looking at getting a ZJ
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Hef (Post 267410)
I'll play Dutch Uncle on this one: If you are short of cash, this is not something to look into right now for you. The maintenance and repair costs of these Jeeps are more than the value of the vehicle, even if you are doing the work yourself. Water pumps, a/c units, transfer cases, transmissions...all seem to creep into play starting between 90-125k. The engines last forever, but the other parts seem to fall of them constantly. Wait until you get back on your feet, and they get one to play with.

I concur with Jim Hef. For the same money (or less) you can get used sedan in better condition or less mileage than ZJ.

I also recommend vehicle without sunroof to prevent possible flooding.

Kev- 09-14-2010 12:07 AM

Re: Looking at getting a ZJ
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 (Post 267495)
I concur with Jim Hef. For the same money (or less) you can get used sedan in better condition or less mileage than ZJ.

I also recommend vehicle without sunroof to prevent possible flooding.

Well shucks. This is the advice I needed, but didn't want. Heheheh :D

I suppose I can live with a sedan again until next year.

Jim Hef 09-14-2010 12:56 PM

Re: Looking at getting a ZJ
 
Actually a wise decision on your part! Wait until you have the time, and the required cash, to get into the Jeep hobby. You can have all sorts of fun with a small sedan, and do a little hobby work on that to make it fun for you to own it.

Kev- 09-14-2010 10:00 PM

Re: Looking at getting a ZJ
 
Thanks guys.

Now I need to figure out the best sedan for my situation though. :)

GR33N D3M0N 09-14-2010 10:05 PM

If u just want something temporary, and not for mpgs, look into a ford cvpi...u can find them cheap, look at police auctions (its an ex police car)

Kev- 09-15-2010 07:19 PM

Re: Looking at getting a ZJ
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.7L wk (Post 268200)
If u just want something temporary, and not for mpgs, look into a ford cvpi...u can find them cheap, look at police auctions (its an ex police car)

Hmmm... But then everyone around me on the freeway would be driving slow! :D

Any idea if they're likely to be in good running condition, reliable enough for a few months of use with a few long trips involved?

GR33N D3M0N 09-15-2010 07:40 PM

Re: Looking at getting a ZJ
 
oh im sure, they may use them to the limits sometimes, but they always service them...try and find one that wasnt used by the police, they use them for code enforcement also...good luck man!

Edit: where do u live, just check ebay...i just searched police interceptor, and got 70K+ hits...

1 GRAND 09-29-2010 05:59 PM

Re: Looking at getting a ZJ
 
My ZJ is the most reliable vehicle I have ever had. It has never stranded me or left me for dead, and it has been beat on heavily.

cheapjeep 10-03-2010 03:44 AM

Re: Looking at getting a ZJ
 
There isnt a jeep in this forum thats worth in monetary value that we put into them We have em cause they have proven themselves time and time
again You get your Zj we'll help you fix it I promise. Without the Zj this
would be the wood sided Grand Wagoneer forum
Good Luck
Dave:thumbsup:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community