Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Battery Died (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/battery-died-12835.html)

Megatron 09-13-2010 07:41 AM

Battery Died

Battery died this morning because I forgot to turn off fogs overnight (external switch), but got helped out and I drove the jeep around the block. Battery is new btw, just got a new one put in 2 weeks ago. (jeep is at 36K)

Anything I should look out for? Like what to check for, etc etc? I want to make sure this batt is still good (mopar brand)

Thanks in advance.

BLACK DOG 09-13-2010 07:56 AM

Re: Battery Died

Quote:

Originally Posted by Father Paul (Post 267334)
Battery died this morning because I forgot to turn off fogs overnight (external switch), but got helped out and I drove the jeep around the block. Battery is new btw, just got a new one put in 2 weeks ago. (jeep is at 36K)

Anything I should look out for? Like what to check for, etc etc? I want to make sure this batt is still good (mopar brand)

Thanks in advance.

That should not hurt it a bit, possibly even be good for it,all youv'e done is run your batt through a full charge cycle, did you have to reset or has the pcm reset > if not the batt was not completely drained...Lookout you don't forget to turn your fogs off again :whistle:

DJ BoNiOmArIo 09-13-2010 09:22 AM

u shall be fine young one ... the alternator will charge the battery back up

S.O.T.I. 09-13-2010 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Father Paul (Post 267334)

Thanks in advance.

Same damned thing just happened to me here. Problem was the old battery couldn't hold a charge, the new battery cost over $100. Replacing the damned thing reset the alarm I didn't know I have and now my hazards flash for a few minutes every time I even touch my car.

Asativa 09-13-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boniomario (Post 267361)
u shall be fine young one ... the alternator will charge the battery back up

this is not entirely true. the alternator is there to maintain a charge. the best thing is to get the battery charged back up with a battery charger. most shops will charge ur battery back up for free
andy

SRTILL8 09-13-2010 03:32 PM

sorry to hear about that paul

very useful to have in the cargo area is a battery jump starter- its the best 50-150 bucks youll spend. youll never have to call anyone every again as long as you keep it upright and at full charge after you use it.

also if you ever break down in manhattan around my way- hit me up.

cheers paul-

BLACK DOG 09-13-2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asativa (Post 267486)
this is not entirely true. the alternator is there to maintain a charge. the best thing is to get the battery charged back up with a battery charger. most shops will charge ur battery back up for free
andy

The end result is the same it won't hurt the Alt to recharge the batt, it may recharge quicker and cause the batt to get a little warmer than a charger.if the electrolyte is topped up (with distilled water) if needed.

Megatron 09-14-2010 07:07 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I appreciate it. And thank you black dog for answering the pm.