Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Temperature Gage Going Haywire (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/temperature-gage-going-haywire-12837.html)

brianstager 09-13-2010 09:57 AM

Temperature Gage Going Haywire

Past few days the Temperature gage has been jumping to the red and back to the middle back and forth... Could it be the thermostat? Anyone had this problem? Thanks!

SvenskaJeepGuy 09-13-2010 11:17 AM

Re: Temperature Gage Going Haywire

yes, your thermostat is likely going bad

brianstager 09-13-2010 12:20 PM

Thanks Matt thats my guess!!!

5.7Unlimited 09-13-2010 04:56 PM

It could also be other things... if there are air bubbles in the system it can cause this, but teh root cause of the air bubbles would be a failing water pump, failing head gasket, or a bad rad cap, either way you could first try bleeding the air out of the system then fill the system properly and see if it comes back. I don't see too many t stats going bad but I guess your jeep is an 05 and it could very well be the t stat.

mjl2610 09-13-2010 06:28 PM

Might want to check to make sure there are no air bubbles in the system first. If you do re-fill the system then you might want to check the thermostat for the heck of it. Then i would check the sensor that is taking the coolant temp. reading. I would then check to see if you have a bad intake or head gasket. I had a bad intake gasket on the previous vehicle I owned and it caused my temp readings to be all over the place.

brianstager 09-14-2010 02:49 PM

Went over to midas they told me its the gauge itself, they said it is a common issue with the jeep, something about a ground behind the dash.

Asativa 09-14-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianstager (Post 267931)
went over to midas they told me its the gauge itself, they said it is a common issue with the jeep, something about a ground behind the dash.

i've never seen that in my shop. Id listen to all these guys, and check the cooling system, not the guage itself.

mjl2610 09-14-2010 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianstager (Post 267931)
Went over to midas they told me its the gauge itself, they said it is a common issue with the jeep, something about a ground behind the dash.

I never have heard of faulty temperature gauges being Jeep issues. :confused: Id check a sensor before i replaced an instrument cluster.

05wkguy 09-14-2010 08:11 PM

How quickly does the guage jump around? Are we talking like "jumps" like it's bouncing or are you saying in a period of 30 seconds to a minute, it changes?

brianstager 09-15-2010 08:24 AM

It will stay all the way hot for a while then jump to the middle then hot for a while then in the middle... Probably a good idea for me to take it somewhere else to check it out as well. Dont want to fry my engine.