Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   Help!!!!!!! Engine problem fml (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/help-engine-problem-fml-12854.html)

ItsAJeepThing 09-14-2010 01:07 AM

Help!!!!!!! Engine problem fml

So I'm driving home today, and I start to hear my car make a weird noise, like something is loose. I pull over and pop the hood to see what is going on. Guess what, my engine started to knock FML. I have 211k miles on it still with factory engine and factory tranny. Its a I6 4.0L engine. I will try to get a video of it tomorrow, so you guys can hear the knock. My question is, what should I do and what would you guys suggest I should do? Rebuild my engine or should I try to find a good deal on a used but not abused engine? I know that my better option is to buy a new car already, but I'm in a process of saving up money for a car and I'm nowhere near enough for one yet. Any help would be great. Thank you in advance.

White WK Swagga 09-14-2010 09:39 AM

Re: Help!!!!!!! Engine problem fml

Damn that doesn't sound good bro!!! Sorry to hear....

Escape 09-14-2010 03:51 PM

Does it have oil and coolant in it still. Those I6 4.0 motors are very hard to kill. If it were me I'd tear it down and rebuild it. I ran my old ZJ to 280K miles and it still ran strong when I sold it.

ItsAJeepThing 09-14-2010 07:14 PM

ye it does.. the thing is.. every once in a while.. i have to add coolant to the reserve tank. i had an oil change like 800 miles ago.. and i checked the oil yesterday when the knocking started.. there was oil in the engine.. if i had a garage, i would try and rebuild the engine myself(idk if it is a good idea though).. maybe i can try and fine a good shop that can rebuild my engine and give me a good warranty on it.. also i noticed that after the knocking started, i had white smoke coming out from my exhaust and it was more that it would usually be.

maxst2 09-14-2010 07:36 PM

gogo stroker!!!!

Chaoul1 09-14-2010 08:33 PM

Go with a Stroker Kit! DOOOOOO IT!

Escape 09-15-2010 12:08 AM

Is it alot of white smoke?

If so White smoke usually ='s a blown head gasket, which would explain the loss of coolant.

What was the temp gauge at when this happened?

ItsAJeepThing 09-15-2010 03:03 AM

There wasn't like a huge cloud of smoke, but a lot more than the usuall. The temp gauge was at the normal temp, and oil pressure gauge was also good.. I could go with the stroker.. but I'm gunna have to change a lot of stuff.. which I wouldn't relle want to spend a lot of money on.. my dad gave me an idea of gettin a loan from the bank, and just get an srt8.. I actually like the idea =)

hmmmm16417 09-15-2010 09:37 PM

Hooray for you getting 211k miles out of it, and an even bigger hooray for you saving for a new(er) one and not wanting to be head over heals in debt ! you are 10 steps ahead of general public already.

I would probably find a good used but not abused engine that you can have put in cheap.

good luck!!

DavidESchiller 09-17-2010 04:33 PM

I vote rebuild. I witnessed a 4.0L driving into the junk yard under its own power at 550k on the original motor.