Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   Viper Smart Start (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/viper-smart-start-12866.html)

kevin06vino 09-14-2010 12:59 PM

Viper Smart Start

Thinking of having a remote starter installed in my WK this fall. My wife gets the garage so I get to park outside and it'd be great to not have to go out to a cold Jeep in our Minnesota mornings.

I've been intrigued by the Smart Start kit they have at Best Buy for $500, and know it is more expensive than what I really need, but I like the novelty of being able to start my Jeep with my phone or my iPod touch.

Do any of you Jeepers have it and if so how does it work for you? I don't want to waste money on something that is going to work only some of the time.

Thanks in advance for the input

GR33N D3M0N 09-14-2010 01:03 PM

Re: Viper Smart Start

i was thinking of getting one too, but if u know anybody that works at bb u can get it for like 300-350 installed..good luck!!

05wkguy 09-14-2010 09:18 PM

I don't have one but have sold and installed at my workplace. Works like a charm!! Just rememeber there will about a 30-90 second delay from the time you send the command.

kevin06vino 09-14-2010 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05wkguy (Post 268176)
I don't have one but have sold and installed at my workplace. Works like a charm!! Just rememeber there will about a 30-90 second delay from the time you send the command.

Cool, thanks for the heads-up

soontobesrt 09-16-2010 09:35 PM

id love to do this but first i need someone to redo my entire system :eek:

kevin06vino 10-05-2010 03:38 PM

Had Smart Start installed yesterday and couldn't be happier. I've got a buddy that works at Best Buy and he took care of my Jeep. :thumbsup:

GR33N D3M0N 10-05-2010 04:02 PM

awesome!!!

AcidCold 01-15-2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin06vino (Post 279735)
Had Smart Start installed yesterday and couldn't be happier. I've got a buddy that works at Best Buy and he took care of my Jeep. :thumbsup:

Any updates on your smart start? I am in the market for one and i really like the Smart start or the 5902 kit. Any idea what the difference is in the $299 and $399 black?
Has your starter given you any problems? there are a few reviews on Best Buy's site stating that they encounter problems with there phones giving out commands.

kevin06vino 01-16-2011 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcidCold (Post 335259)
Any updates on your smart start? I am in the market for one and i really like the Smart start or the 5902 kit. Any idea what the difference is in the $299 and $399 black?
Has your starter given you any problems? there are a few reviews on Best Buy's site stating that they encounter problems with there phones giving out commands.

I use mine daily and it's still working great. Around November I had some issues connecting to the Viper servers around 6am, but Viper announced they had upgraded the number of servers they were using and my signal has been great ever since. There was a new app released with some updates to remember where you parked via GPS and also the ability to take a picture of your parked car to help remember it's location...I've never lost my Jeep, but if you need that feature it's available.

I've never had a command sent without initiating it first. There is sometimes a delay of 5-20 seconds before the Jeep starts, but it's fine by me. I like the app telling me the command was received, however wish it had a built in Tachometer to ensure it was running. Maybe once in every 30 starts, the hemi will turn over but not start...like the start cycle wasn't long enough. Hopefully gauges can be added to a future app release to visually see if the Jeep is running, not just in the On key cycle.

As to the difference in prices, I think the largest is in the included remote. I have the plain one-way remote and could have upgraded to the two-way remote or the one with the LCD. For me, it wasn't a big deal because I use my phone anyway.

Good luck with your decision, but I love mine and use it at least twice a day. :thumbsup:

AcidCold 01-16-2011 01:38 PM

I appreciate your feedback! i was a little hesitant about the small amount of servers they had which cause people to complain but now that they have added more to handle the traffic, i think I'm just gonna go for it! Thanks again.

Crestwood1001 01-29-2011 12:42 AM

I work at best buy, dont ask someone you know who works there to have that done for you, they will get fired in a second. They are extremely tight on the discount policy, if its not your vehicle you will lose your job, no if's and's or but's.

gaidin43 04-28-2012 11:20 AM

Are the WK2 2012 ready for plug and play install for the VSM250? I know they have to be turned on by a dealer but I can do the install. My concern is it needing a module for the keyfob to get the remote start to work.