Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   When to bring up trade-in when ordering a WK2? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/when-to-bring-up-trade-in-when-ordering-a-wk2-12990.html)

rb3wreath 09-18-2010 02:33 AM

When to bring up trade-in when ordering a WK2?

I'm hoping to place an order for a WK2 Overland soon :) ... but also planning on trading in my Liberty at the purchase. At what point should I bring up and negotiate my trade-in to get the best deal?

A couple dealers nearby have offered the vehicle at invoice + $200 - $300 "doc fee". Should I negotiate trade-in before placing the order or wait until it arrives? It kinda seems like I'd have less negotiation power once the new WK2 arrives because they'll know I'll want it. It also seems like a trade-in with this situation isn't gonna be that great anyway.

Thoughts or suggestions?

JoeSchmoe007 09-18-2010 07:00 AM

Re: When to bring up trade-in when ordering a WK2?

Sell it yourself. I sold my old car and it wasn't all that complicated. I am sure I got for it more than I would for trade-in.

The key is "marketing" - after I got new car I kept driving an old one about 30% of the time with "For Sale" sign in the rear window

suprand 09-18-2010 07:16 AM

I know in my state, when you trade-in a vehicle, you only pay sales tax on the difference. So new car price minus the trade-in value equals the price you pay taxes on. In my case, it was a good amount of savings. Just something to keep in mind.

Jim Hef 09-18-2010 08:26 AM

Go to kbb.com and run your vehicle for 'trade-in value'. Negotiate the price of the new Jeep in respect to the invoice cost, and after you are satisfied, bring up the trade. The KBB price will give you what you should get for the trade, and this will eliminate the "over allowance" crap that skews what you are actually paying for your new Jeep.

Jeeters 09-18-2010 08:52 AM

Don't discuss the trade in price until after you've agreed on the price of the WK2.

i.e., make it two separate transactions: 1) buying a new vehicle from them; 2) selling a used vehicle to them. Avoid making it all one transaction where they shift the price of either the new or old vehicle to make the other vehicle's price look better.

If you don't think you'll be agreeing to buy that very day and are just trying to get a quote as a 'shopper', then just say something like, "I haven't decided if I'm trading yet; I'm still thinking about selling.". Then if you later decide you liked that guys WK2 price, go back to him and say "I decided I liked that price, but lets talk about me trading in, now.

Otherwise, just be blunt and say, "Whether I trade or not depends on the price I get for the WK2". I remember using a line like that when I traded in for my KJ when they asked if I'd be trading in or not. After I got the KJ price I was happy with, I then said something like, "So let's discuss my old vehicle." Transaction two started.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Hef (Post 270126)
Go to kbb.com and run your vehicle for 'trade-in value'. .... The KBB price will give you what you should get for the trade, and this will eliminate the "over allowance" crap that skews what you are actually paying for your new Jeep.

Around here, dealers don't seem use kbb; they all use NADA (nada.com). One dealer pulled his little yellow & blue NADA guide book out in front of me when I went to trade in an Explorer; the price was significantly lower than what kbb and edmunds suggested :(. The price I had in mind based on the research I had done on kbb and edmunds was not going to happen as he was concerned. I also vaguely remember another dealer specifically told me they used NADA.

Knightrider03m 09-18-2010 10:55 AM

I would sale it on the street. When I tried to sale my zj to the dealer, the most they would give me was $500 but when I posted it on ebay I got 1800 for it. Can't beat that imo

DJ BoNiOmArIo 09-18-2010 10:59 AM

"doc fee" = PFP Paint Fabric Protection = Pure Fawking Profit lol

Sell it on ur own you'll get so much more out of it ... craigslist it's free and the best way to sell it undercut the competition by $500 and u'll sell it in a heatbeat and when doing the paperwok put doc fee for whatever u want and there you go u just made that loss back PFP FTW lol

SvenskaJeepGuy 09-18-2010 09:47 PM

my dealer tried screwing me on my WJ trade in for my WK. so i walked away and they called me back the next day offering $500 more. i went to the dealer with KBB print outs (they were also using NADA) and they gave me $1000 more. i also refused to pay the $300 doc fee because i told them a price so they had to fit their doc fee into that price. they eliminated the doc fee without a fight.