Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Getting quotes via email - my experience. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/getting-quotes-via-email-my-experience-12999.html)

JoeSchmoe007 09-18-2010 12:37 PM

Getting quotes via email - my experience.

Please note that my situation may be different from others - I have no trade-in and will not use dealer financing, not eligible for any current rebates or Chrysler employee rebates. One would think this will make it really simple for dealers to give me a quote but this didn't turn out to be the case.

1) Create a throw-away email address and do not specify your real name (you can thank me later).

Gmail is good because it offers free email forwarding and POP. Unless you use Web UI 100% make sure you are replying using throw-away account in Outlook or whatever email client you use.

2) Which website to use to submit requests?

I only considered 2 options - Edmunds.com and Jeep.com (there may be others I don't know about). Edmunds.com didn't have 430N radio in the list of options for Laredo, so Jeep.com was the only choice.

3) Submission process on Jeep.com

Jeep.com only allows you to submit your request to one dealer at a time (Edmunds allows to submit to several at once). This is major PIA considering that Jeep.com doesn't keep your car configuration for a long time - browser session times out very fast. This is how it manifests itself: submit request to 1 dealer, press "Back" in the browser to pick another from the list. Click on the link to your vehicle configuration - you will get a message that session timed out even though it does show Grand Cherokee 2011.

So if you use "Back" button, select new dealer and re-submit you can never be sure they will actually receive your configuration. I didn't realize that until I was on dealer #15 :D

To work around this problem you have 2 options:
a) [If you like pain and suffering] Configure your Jeep from scratch each time

b) Put full configuration in the message field (this is what I did after I figured out there is a problem). This also checks attention span for email recipient. Do this even if you pick option a) - just copy and paste the same text. Ask to include all fees and charges except taxes in the quote.
I submitted requests to about 30 dealers in NYC area in 50 miles radius preferring NY, some where in NJ

You will immediately receive automated confirmation email from pretty much everyone. DO NOT RESPOND TO THEM IF YOU ARE SURE YOU SPECIFIED VEHICLE CONFIGURATION. You will receive emails from humans soon.

4) Response from dealerships

SUMMARY: be prepared that in most cases you will never receive a quote via email (details below). I know it sounds ridiculous but I only received 5 quotes out of which 2 were too good to be true ($1,000 and $2,000 under invoice and there are no incentives at this time). 3 quotes where what I would call "actionable" and warranted further communication. These 3 quotes were in [invoice-$160...invoice+$100] range with me spending very little time to have them bid against each other

It has become obvious that most of the dealers use the same 3-4 IT companies for their web marketing. One can tell from email address like "******@dealerportal.com". Also canned letters from different companies were EXACTLY the same except return email address - this was pretty funny.

I only received quote in first email from 1 (one!) dealer (and it was one of the actionables). Yes, you read that right - 1. However, since I wasn't sure who received exact configuration I had to give everyone benefit of a doubt - I replied with vehicle configuration to each email that seemed to originate from a human.

At this time it has become clear that wast majority of dealerships still don't get it. All they really wanted is for me to call them or to come to the dealership. HELLO???? IS ANYBODY HOME??? The whole point of my quote request was that I don't want to visit 30 dealerships or talk on the phone with them. This "email" thingy seems pretty convenient to me.

One person said literally "Well, I don't give quote in print". Then why did you register for this at Jeep.com? There was one dealer listed at jeep.com that had a phone icon instead of radio-box which meant they don't quote over the email - sounds fair to me.

Some dealers would respond with prices for vehicles different from what I required about. The one with used Toyota Matrix for $32,000 was the most hilarious. This clearly means they don't have sufficient attention span to even read my email.

My advice: if you don't receive a quote in first email - reply back with exact car configuration and if you still don't receive a quote - stop talking to them - it will be nothing but a waste of time. Even after I replied to all of them with exact configuration most still would respond as if this weren't the case, sometimes with canned letters trying to get me to call them or come to their dealerships.

5) Actionable quotes

Once actionable quotes are identified you can spent some time trying to bid them against each other. Some of the dealers will ask you where they stand. If you tell them - they will sometimes reply with a better offer. You don't have to give them names of other dealers at this time.

Final prices all ended up in [invoice-$160...invoice+$100] range

Joe in PA 09-18-2010 12:52 PM

Re: Getting quotes via email - my experience.

Here is what I do and it usually works out OK for me. I do visit the dealerships, but do it on Sundays when they are closed here in PA. When I find a vehicle I wish to purchase, I go to the dealerships website to get the appropriate email. I then send an email saying I would like to purchase the vehicle, here is what I am willing to pay as an out the door price, if you agree I will be in shortly with a check in hand. Some will come back with an offer. Some will try to get me to come in to talk, others will tell me I am crazy, some will want to know what I am trading or how I am financing. The only ones I ever respond to are the ones who agree to sell me the vehicle for the price I offered.

In this day and age with all the info available on the internet, it isn't too hard to determine what a dealership paid for a given vehicle. Figure that out and offer them an appropriate amount depending on how long they have had the vehicle and based on current demand for the vehicle and chances are they will eventually accept the offer. If not, it isn't like you are really limited to just one Jeep dealership any more. You are in complete control and the days of the old stereotypical salesman attempting to up-sell or overwhelm you into a bad deal are over. Those dealerships that figure that out the quickest are the ones that will ultimately survive.

tkln 09-18-2010 09:13 PM

I went to several dealers' websites, checked inventory and contacted them direct from their site...but I had very similar experiences. I only had two dealers send me quotes, most wouldn't even discuss anything unless I came in.

rb3wreath 09-18-2010 09:40 PM

Very similar experience here. The dealership who actually answers and is helpful will be the one who I place my order through and ultimately earns my business. I don't have time to "come in" for a "chat." Ahat always turns out to be a few hours and using a salesman/pawn to chat with a manager over and over.

Scottina06 09-19-2010 12:20 AM

I bought my wifes Lexus over the net/phone from a dealer in Knoxville Tn..
We knew what we wanted, they gave the best service and price...no hassles at all. They brought the car to us on a roll back...we signed the papers in like 10 minutes and they were gone!

HEMInator 09-19-2010 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 (Post 270287)
Please note that my situation may be d**ferent from others - I have no trade-in and will not use dealer financing, not eligible for any current rebates or Chrysler employee rebates. One would think this will make it really simple for dealers to give me a quote but this didn't turn out to be the case.

1) Create a throw-away email address and do not spec**y your real name (you can thank me later).

Gmail is good because it offers free email forwarding and POP. Unless you use Web UI 100% make sure you are replying using throw-away account in Outlook or whatever email client you use.

2) Which website to use to submit requests?

I only considered 2 options - Edmunds.com and Jeep.com (there may be others I don't know about). Edmunds.com didn't have 430N radio in the list of options for Laredo, so Jeep.com was the only choice.

3) Submission process on Jeep.com

Jeep.com only allows you to submit your request to one dealer at a time (Edmunds allows to submit to several at once). This is major PIA considering that Jeep.com doesn't keep your car configuration for a long time - browser session times out very fast. This is how it man**ests itself: submit request to 1 dealer, press "Back" in the browser to pick another from the list. Click on the link to your vehicle configuration - you will get a message that session timed out even though it does show Grand Cherokee 2011.

So ** you use "Back" button, select new dealer and re-submit you can never be sure they will actually receive your configuration. I didn't realize that until I was on dealer #15 :D

To work around this problem you have 2 options:
a) [** you like pain and suffering] Configure your Jeep from scratch each time

b) Put full configuration in the message field (this is what I did after I figured out there is a problem). This also checks attention span for email recipient. Do this even ** you pick option a) - just copy and paste the same text. Ask to include all fees and charges except taxes in the quote.
I submitted requests to about 30 dealers in NYC area in 50 miles radius preferring NY, some where in NJ

You will immediately receive automated confirmation email from pretty much everyone. DO NOT RESPOND TO THEM ** YOU ARE SURE YOU SPEC**IED VEHICLE CONFIGURATION. You will receive emails from humans soon.

4) Response from dealerships

SUMMARY: be prepared that in most cases you will never receive a quote via email (details below). I know it sounds ridiculous but I only received 5 quotes out of which 2 were too good to be true ($1,000 and $2,000 under invoice and there are no incentives at this time). 3 quotes where what I would call "actionable" and warranted further communication. These 3 quotes were in [invoice-$160...invoice+$100] range with me spending very little time to have them bid against each other

It has become obvious that most of the dealers use the same 3-4 IT companies for their web marketing. One can tell from email address like "******@dealerportal.com". Also canned letters from d**ferent companies were EXACTLY the same except return email address - this was pretty funny.

I only received quote in first email from 1 (one!) dealer (and it was one of the actionables). Yes, you read that right - 1. However, since I wasn't sure who received exact configuration I had to give everyone benefit of a doubt - I replied with vehicle configuration to each email that seemed to originate from a human.

At this time it has become clear that wast majority of dealerships still don't get it. All they really wanted is for me to call them or to come to the dealership. HELLO???? IS ANYBODY HOME??? The whole point of my quote request was that I don't want to visit 30 dealerships or talk on the phone with them. This "email" thingy seems pretty convenient to me.

One person said literally "Well, I don't give quote in print". Then why did you register for this at Jeep.com? There was one dealer listed at jeep.com that had a phone icon instead of radio-box which meant they don't quote over the email - sounds fair to me.

Some dealers would respond with prices for vehicles d**ferent from what I required about. The one with used Toyota Matrix for $32,000 was the most hilarious. This clearly means they don't have sufficient attention span to even read my email.

My advice: ** you don't receive a quote in first email - reply back with exact car configuration and ** you still don't receive a quote - stop talking to them - it will be nothing but a waste of time. Even after I replied to all of them with exact configuration most still would respond as ** this weren't the case, sometimes with canned letters trying to get me to call them or come to their dealerships.

5) Actionable quotes

Once actionable quotes are ident**ied you can spent some time trying to bid them against each other. Some of the dealers will ask you where they stand. ** you tell them - they will sometimes reply with a better offer. You don't have to give them names of other dealers at this time.

Final prices all ended up in [invoice-$160...invoice+$100] range

FWIW--I simply check online inventory ** I'm planning to buy from stock and there are usually only a about 5 dealers in the San Antonio that will have what I'm looking for. I simply call them and ask to speak with the Fleet Manager usually. I tell them the VIN and Stock Number of the car I'm looking for and tell them I'm ready to purchase today ** we agree on price. I don't tell them what I'll play, I just make it clear that I'm aware of each incentive (Edmunds) that is out there and I typically list them. I also tell them I'm aware that the standard 3% of Total MSRP for Jeep's holdback as well as the invoice price. I'm very polite but make it clear I am giving them one shot to quote me their best price. Honestly, that has worked with much less time invested than what was explained above. Of course I've had a few who tell me they don't quote over the phone and that I need to come in, I remind them again and ** they don't change their tune, I don't give them my contact information and move on. The internet is great for research but IMHO, once you know the information, call them. It's more personal, and you can get responses faster. The key is to ask for either the Internet Sales Manager or the Fleet Manager NOT a salesman. The Internet Sales Manager and/or Fleet Manager has the authority to quote you prices directly. ** you speak to a Salesman or Saleswoman, they will have to get back with you everytime which delays the process...they have no authority to give quotes on the dealer's behalf. Also, in response to the notion that some quotes are too good to be true, don't rush to that judgment and here's why. When I purchased my Dodge Ram, I had already come up with what I knew to be the "best" deal I could hope to get. That was invoice, minus all rebates, minus full holdback. The dealership I bought from, ended up selling the truck for $2500 less than that!! The reason? This particular dealer had 4% holdback and other incentives because of their volume nationally. The guy actually had told me that had I called a day earlier, he had an additional $1000 coupon he could have used. Bottom line, no matter how much great information we have, there are some dealers that have additional incentives because of their volume so I would go to those that you said had quotes too good to be true and ask for a breakdown in the quote. Hope this helps!

Kev- 09-28-2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEMInator (Post 270530)
FWIW--I simply check online inventory ** I'm planning to buy from stock and there are usually only a about 5 dealers in the San Antonio that will have what I'm looking for. I simply call them and ask to speak with the Fleet Manager usually. I tell them the VIN and Stock Number of the car I'm looking for and tell them I'm ready to purchase today ** we agree on price. I don't tell them what I'll play, I just make it clear that I'm aware of each incentive (Edmunds) that is out there and I typically list them. I also tell them I'm aware that the standard 3% of Total MSRP for Jeep's holdback as well as the invoice price. I'm very polite but make it clear I am giving them one shot to quote me their best price. Honestly, that has worked with much less time invested than what was explained above. Of course I've had a few who tell me they don't quote over the phone and that I need to come in, I remind them again and ** they don't change their tune, I don't give them my contact information and move on. The internet is great for research but IMHO, once you know the information, call them. It's more personal, and you can get responses faster. The key is to ask for either the Internet Sales Manager or the Fleet Manager NOT a salesman. The Internet Sales Manager and/or Fleet Manager has the authority to quote you prices directly. ** you speak to a Salesman or Saleswoman, they will have to get back with you everytime which delays the process...they have no authority to give quotes on the dealer's behalf. Also, in response to the notion that some quotes are too good to be true, don't rush to that judgment and here's why. When I purchased my Dodge Ram, I had already come up with what I knew to be the "best" deal I could hope to get. That was invoice, minus all rebates, minus full holdback. The dealership I bought from, ended up selling the truck for $2500 less than that!! The reason? This particular dealer had 4% holdback and other incentives because of their volume nationally. The guy actually had told me that had I called a day earlier, he had an additional $1000 coupon he could have used. Bottom line, no matter how much great information we have, there are some dealers that have additional incentives because of their volume so I would go to those that you said had quotes too good to be true and ask for a breakdown in the quote. Hope this helps!

Why are all the "IF"s censored out of your post? That is weird. :confused:

JoeSchmoe007 09-28-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev- (Post 275994)
Why are all the "IF"s censored out of your post? That is weird. :confused:

Site owners had some content filter setup at the time and this was not intended result. They later fixed it but apparently fix only got applied to my original post somehow. I would also guess that when my post was quoted it had ** at the time.

rdalcanto 09-28-2010 09:25 PM

Well, I probably overpaid.... I've done that trick on other cars before. However, I don't think it works on high demand vehicles (for example the Nissan GTR was going for 10K over MSRP last year). I figured the Overland with Air is kind of in that category right now. I got 1K under MSRP, and thought I did o.k. In my case though, I went to the dealer thinking I wanted to check out the new Jeep, but didn't think I was going to like it enough to buy it. I ended up going back several times for multiple test drives, spent a lot of time with the salesman looking over the vehicle and making sure I would be able to set it up the way I wanted to tow behind my motorhome (including having the salesman put it up on ramps for me so I could get under it). I just didn't feel right sticking it to that salesman and dealership after all that by doing an internet war. I figured they earned my business through the hard work they had put in.

Jim Hef 09-29-2010 08:31 AM

But, in reality, you paid them handsomely for that work! It seems the average deal here has been something around invoice or $500 above that. Being armed with that information, or requesting it from the salesman, is not out of the question when working your deal.

tank47 09-29-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdalcanto (Post 276347)
Well, I probably overpaid.... I've done that trick on other cars before. However, I don't think it works on high demand vehicles (for example the Nissan GTR was going for 10K over MSRP last year). I figured the Overland with Air is kind of in that category right now. I got 1K under MSRP, and thought I did o.k. In my case though, I went to the dealer thinking I wanted to check out the new Jeep, but didn't think I was going to like it enough to buy it. I ended up going back several times for multiple test drives, spent a lot of time with the salesman looking over the vehicle and making sure I would be able to set it up the way I wanted to tow behind my motorhome (including having the salesman put it up on ramps for me so I could get under it). I just didn't feel right sticking it to that salesman and dealership after all that by doing an internet war. I figured they earned my business through the hard work they had put in.

I feel the same way.