Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Fresh Mobil1 in the WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/fresh-mobil1-in-the-wk-13026.html)

kevin06vino 09-19-2010 01:39 PM

Fresh Mobil1 in the WK

Oll change Sunday and my Hemi was thirsty for some M1 5W20 this morning. Switched to a K&N Gold filter this time around and I must say the 1" nut affixed to the base of the filter assisted in snugging up everything.

I do wish they would have used a 13mm so I would only need to get one socket out of the toolbox for the filter and drain-plug :slapfight:

7qts later and she's good to go for a few thousand smiles.

jeepgcoman 09-19-2010 02:08 PM

Re: Fresh Mobil1 in the WK

Get a Fumoto Drain Valve http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/ and you won't ever have to worry about removing a drain plug again. Then you can stick to the one socket routine. I've got the nippled ones on all my rides. If this is your first venture into M1 oil, you can easily go more than "a few thousand miles." I do mine at 6000 mile intervals. Works for me.

maxst2 09-19-2010 02:16 PM

Ive ran mobil1 when i got my jeep and changed at 4k into it to clean out the dino that was in from previous owner and what carmax put in - which was obviously the cheapest oil and filter. So now I have a full syn mobil1 in the engine now, I've got a long trip in the works- 12hrs + driving non-stop on this change. Im going to go to 7k miles and have a oil analysis done. I have a free test kit coming in the mail, so when I go to the next change I'll get a sample then get it tested. Its $25, but it'll let me know how the engine is doing and how much the oil is degraded or not. It'll have about 75K miles on it when that is done so I figure that it would be a good thing to get it tested and see whats up.

Walt 09-19-2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin06vino (Post 270594)
Oll change Sunday and my Hemi was thirsty for some M1 5W20 this morning. Switched to a K&N Gold filter this time around and I must say the 1" nut affixed to the base of the filter assisted in snugging up everything.

I do wish they would have used a 13mm so I would only need to get one socket out of the toolbox for the filter and drain-plug ..

7qts later and she's good to go for a few thousand smiles.

Great minds think alike.............:rolleyes:

Just changed oil filter yesterday at 51,006 miles: 7 qts Castrol Syntec 5W-20 and K&N HP-2010 filter. Love that nut on the bottom (whatever size it is).

It was only 4.5K miles since last oil/filter change, but I have a trip next weekend and will run over my usual 5K mile change interval.

Installed Fumoto oil drain valve this time (as jeepgcoman recommends). :thumbsup: Won't get to see the benefit for another 5K miles. For jeepgcoman: I did install the clear drain hose and tucked it up in the plastic undercarriage cover. I also put the 5/8" hose clip on the valve handle (remember that I'm anal about that kind of thing).

Peace of mind: priceless. :D

kevin06vino 09-19-2010 08:24 PM

This is my second M1 oil change, I went 6k on the first one and will definitely be installing the Fumoto oil drain valve next time around.

I should probably do the diffs and transfer case next Sunday.

jeepgcoman 09-19-2010 08:38 PM

Good show, Walt. Peace of mind is more important than piece of mind. You better get to driving now, instead of working the forums, so in 5K you can try that valve out, and give us your report, LOL!!

kevin06vino 09-19-2010 08:52 PM

Is this the one you guys are using?

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=F106N

SvenskaJeepGuy 09-20-2010 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin06vino (Post 270843)

yes, i also have it and i love it

Walt 09-20-2010 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin06vino (Post 270843)

X2. Note my comment on the 5/8" hose clip! The "N" designation gives you the nipple on the discharge side for the drain hose (3/8", I think).

Don't forget the metric adjustable wrench to install it. :rolleyes:

for jeepcoman: Got a trip to Ann Arbor area coming on Saturday (150 mi one-way, 70 mph highway speed), so I will be checking the EGR replacement, new oil/filter, and oil catch can. Before I do that, I have 1 lecture, 1 test, and 2 labs to teach at night this week.

This is anecdotal evidence, but I think 5.7L HEMI MDS works better on fresh oil than it does as the oil approaches the change interval. No data; just a feeling......

JTK1130 09-22-2010 09:47 PM

Walt, how did you secure the hose clamp around the handle? Did you slide the lever through one of the slots in the clamp? Just wondering because i'd like to pick one up as well and stop spilling oil in my driveway.. but i don't want the risk of that lever opening up and loosing my oil ...

SvenskaJeepGuy 09-22-2010 09:50 PM

the level will not open by accident, its protected and quite a bit of force is needed to move it.

JTK1130 09-22-2010 10:20 PM

Sounds good, just ordered one!