Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Tire warranty (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/tire-warranty-13053.html)

muzichio 09-19-2010 10:36 PM

Tire warranty

This past weekend I did a fair amount of offroading in the desert. Jeep did great. Got a chance to use Rock mode/low gear a few times and hill descent control. All is well, except I get a flat when I'm 90% through the 30 mile trip. Have to say the TPM system did great - it warned me when i got down to around 25psi, kept me from driving on a true flat (maybe dinging the rim) and gave me enough warning to find a good level spot to change the tire.

Put on the spare...which went real smooth with the great tools and lift point that Jeep thoughtfully equipped the jeep with.

All is good, expect for the fact my week old Jeep now has a flat - I get to a Michelin approved tire shop and they tell me...
1) punctures aren't a warranty item (not overly surprised) and anyways this puncture is too big to patch
2) The michelin 18" latitude tire costs $235 (OUCH).
3) They can't install the tire since they don't have torque specs for the 2011 GC. It's "too new", in the words of the salesperson. Ok no biggie, just mount it and I'll put it on myself. However, sticker shock means I need to shop around.

Anyone have any experience getting dealers to cover punctures under the warranty? I'm guessing no but thought I would ask.

Scottina06 09-19-2010 10:45 PM

Re: Tire warranty

try some mof the online stores...tirerack.com or discounttires.com

muzichio 09-19-2010 11:10 PM

Tirerack.com shows it for $135 plus $25 delivery....much better. Thanks for the tip!

Have to admit in researching this tire I'm scratching my head a little as to why Jeep decided on this particular tire for the Off road package. Every description shows it as a bland "crossover" tire great for highway and rain. Off road to me implies mud and dirt (maybe some snow too...)

Specs:
Greater Confidence in Wet Conditions †
Longest lasting, Most Fuel-Efficient tire in its Class *
Michelin® Green X®
Our Quietest, Most Comfortable Ride
Class-leading technology for Crossovers.* For CUVs and SUVs, MICHELIN® Latitude® Tour tires deliver best-in-class fuel efficiency* and improved safety

Maybe they were balancing between road noise, fuel efficiency and off road performance?

nek121328 09-20-2010 05:38 AM

Gotta love the compromise tires. Another reason I'll opt for snow tires and spare wheels.

Scottina06 09-20-2010 11:05 AM

yeah....a complete offraod tire will never be on a new vehicle. But that tire doesnt even seem to be an A/T tire

dpope 09-20-2010 11:14 AM

I assumed that when Jeep said it was a on road/offroad tire it would atleast be the Michelin LTX A/T2. That tire with the offroad package is a touring tire made for onroad use. Your gonna get stuck in soft grass with that tire.

As far as warranty goes, no manufacturer of tires offers a road hazard warranty their tires. That is why retailers offer it to you.

Looks like Tire Rack has them heavily discounted right now. Prices won't stay that low and back to the $200 range is probable. Some retailers will sale you a road hazard warranty on your original tires with a new vehicle. Worth looking into.

muzichio 09-20-2010 12:04 PM

Ordered the replacement from costco - $180 out the door including install.

Have to wonder now if I would have been better off upgrading all four to a better offroad tire (A/T maybe?) and selling the factory installed tires on craigslist.

Oh well, time will tell. Good thing the southwest doesn't have a lot of soft grass to get stuck in :)

Jim Hef 09-20-2010 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muzichio (Post 270921)
...Maybe they were balancing between road noise, fuel efficiency and off road performance?

Two out of three maybe! Off road "trail rated tire...nope! Less noise and rolling resistance probably! If you plan many more off road adventures, I would take the opportunity to trade in three almost new tires for four capable ones. Many of the tire stores will price match TireRack now, so just ask. My Firestone dealer did this for me, as did NTB on numerous occasions. They don't advertise it, but they also don't want you walking out the door. The Firestone people didn't even add in the shipping charge that NTB always did with the final pricing.

SvenskaJeepGuy 09-20-2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muzichio (Post 270921)
Have to admit in researching this tire I'm scratching my head a little as to why Jeep decided on this particular tire for the Off road package.

i bet the bean counters picked it