Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   Lets discuss headlights and "clear corners" (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/lets-discuss-headlights-and-clear-corners-1307.html)

Relwarc 07-10-2009 07:22 AM

Lets discuss headlights and "clear corners"

I feel like with my 3" lift with 33" tires thread... i want to keep stirring the pot and making people think... so here goes...

i had clear corners (from altezza) for my old ZJ... i went to auto zone and had them set me up with some amber bulbs to keep the ZJ legal... trust me, the last thing i needed to be pulled over for was illegal turn signals with 33" tires and a backwards flowmaster 40 without a cat (i know, i was asking for it)

but.. i digress....

From my readings... it seems as though people have been thinking about it, but the headlights would need to be opened up and something would need to be fabbed up....

I like the stillens, but i dont like how they cover the corner marker and make for legallity problems..

lets brain storm...

#1 how to safely open and close/seal the housing

#2 how to remove the amber reflector

#3 what/how to replace it with

I have lots of fab experience and would be more than willing to grab some headlights off E-bay and do some tinkering.

so lets hear it guys, lets make some "JG original clear corner lenses"

saleen032 07-10-2009 07:31 AM

Re: Lets discuss headlights and "clear corners"

I guess the legality of the Stillens depends on the state and each individual inspector. I recently went through NJ state inspection twice with the stillens on, and they didnt say a word.....

Relwarc 07-10-2009 07:40 AM

true... its not as much a legal worry as it is another option for headlight mods...

also looks like a minimum of about $120 for a pair off of Ebay.

White WK Swagga 07-10-2009 08:33 AM

I'd be into it for an 09 wk. I think clear reflector with an amber bulb should be legal.

DirtyBlackJeepSRT 07-10-2009 08:34 AM

I passed my inspection and I have front tint and tinted tails. NY is pretty strict, so you shouldn't have any problems.

White WK Swagga 07-10-2009 08:49 AM

I've had cops, sheriff, state troopers ride next to me and behind me and one pulled me over and mentioned nothing about my tint windows or tails. (knock on wood) Im sure if my car was dirty, had mis match wheels, and dents I would get messed with. Keep it clean, classy, yet sporty is my motto...

DirtyBlackJeepSRT 07-10-2009 08:53 AM

So I got pulled over because I was dirty? :lol:

White WK Swagga 07-10-2009 08:55 AM

No prob because you were doing 50mph over the posted speed limit. LOL

DirtyBlackJeepSRT 07-10-2009 08:56 AM

Only 17 mph over, but it jumps from a 30 mph zone to 40 mph. It was also the Town/City border which has a 5 mph variation. I follow the rule of 7 on city roads. Or so I thought.

White WK Swagga 07-10-2009 08:57 AM

Lol

DirtyBlackJeepSRT 07-10-2009 08:58 AM

/thread jack.

Anyway. You shouldn't have any legality problems. ;)

B.P.O.D 07-10-2009 09:24 AM

is the yellow part in the lens easy to take off with a knife? anyone ever try this? is it built on top of the plastic or is the plastic molded yellow?