Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/)
-   -   Front Tow Hooks (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/front-tow-hooks-13123.html)

JeepMe 09-21-2010 08:27 PM

Front Tow Hooks
 
Well, I found myself a nice weekend project on Craigslist today. Some guy was selling WJ front tow hooks and hardware for $25. So I jumped all over them. Now I have a couple questions and I haven't gotten under my Jeep to look at anything. Here's what I have:
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...921_210459.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...921_210552.jpg

The first thing I noticed was that it came with 2 big bolts (w/ nuts) and 3 smaller bolts. The hooks have holes for 6 bolts. I'm assuming I'm missing a bolt and it's one of the smaller ones. Can anyone confirm this? Also, does anyone know what type of bolt it is?

Second, does anyone have a picture of the front of their WJ w/ the tow hooks? I would like to see were they are mounted.

Lastly, anyone have any instructions on mounting these? They were an option on the WJ so I'm assuming I won't have to drill any holes or cut the bumper cover.

Any advice I could get on these before I get to installing on Saturday would be appreciated.

mrjaydeeone 09-21-2010 08:39 PM

Re: Front Tow Hooks
 
Here ya go.
http://www.wjjeeps.com/towhooks.htm
Hope this helps. Looks like you might also be missing a plate that the bolts go through that sits on the frame too. I don't know how needed they are. I installed a brushguard on my WJ, kinda similar install, and the bolts just attached to brackets and then nuts on the other side of the frame to hold them in place. As far as drilling holes or cutting bumper there is no need for that. I didn't have to, all the holes are there. But when you remove bumper there are these 1 time use plastic rivets in the wheel wells that you are going to bust removing them. You can buy some more and replace that way. Or I took some black zipties to hold the bumper back in place, and I cut them down. You wouldn't even notice that they are there, even with me telling you and you looking haha. Good Luck

JeepMe 09-21-2010 08:48 PM

Re: Front Tow Hooks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrjaydeeone (Post 272180)
Here ya go.
http://www.wjjeeps.com/towhooks.htm
Hope this helps. Looks like you might also be missing a plate that the bolts go through that sits on the frame too. I don't know how needed they are. I installed a brushguard on my WJ, kinda similar install, and the bolts just attached to brackets and then nuts on the other side of the frame to hold them in place. As far as drilling holes or cutting bumper there is no need for that. I didn't have to, all the holes are there. But when you remove bumper there are these 1 time use plastic rivets in the wheel wells that you are going to bust removing them. You can buy some more and replace that way. Or I took some black zipties to hold the bumper back in place, and I cut them down. You wouldn't even notice that they are there, even with me telling you and you looking haha. Good Luck

Thanks man, that helps a LOT. It seems the big bolts that came w/ the hooks is not part of the normal hardware. Instead of using the plate, he prolly used 2 of the larger bolts w/ washer and lock washer. I guess I'll go out and buy two more of these before Saturday (they will be cheaper than buying the plates and 2 smaller bolts).

straty1987 09-21-2010 10:06 PM

Re: Front Tow Hooks
 
this is what you should have minus the rivets
http://www.wjjeeps.com/thooks_front_kit.jpg

you are missing the brackets and 3 bolts
the bolts are M10x1.50x32mm (grade 10.9) hex head bolts with washers

if you are going to use the for pulling anything get the right hardware so the hooks dont coming flying out and damaging your jeep, whatever your pulling,and people around you

the plates will cost you about $16 each and the bolts are a few bucks at a hardware store just make sure they are grade 10.9

Sun Devil 11-17-2010 12:22 PM

Re: Front Tow Hooks
 
I am under the impression you don't want to use just any bolt from the hardware store. OEM bolts are about $6 ea. When I inquired why, I was told they were hardened steel. This made sense to me. A lot of regular bolts you can buy from the hardware stores these days aren't made from the best metals. Many are made in China using cheap material and cheap processes. It's up to you if you want to take a chance, but it's like what was said above, "if you are going to use them for pulling anything, get the right hardware so the hooks dont coming flying out and damaging your jeep, whatever your pulling,and people around you".

JeepMe 11-17-2010 01:55 PM

Re: Front Tow Hooks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun Devil (Post 302803)
I am under the impression you don't want to use just any bolt from the hardware store. OEM bolts are about $6 ea. When I inquired why, I was told they were hardened steel. This made sense to me. A lot of regular bolts you can buy from the hardware stores these days aren't made from the best metals. Many are made in China using cheap material and cheap processes. It's up to you if you want to take a chance, but it's like what was said above, "if you are going to use them for pulling anything, get the right hardware so the hooks dont coming flying out and damaging your jeep, whatever your pulling,and people around you".

Yes, but this comes down to the knowledge of bolt grades/class. You don't want to go out and buy a grade 2 bolt for towing. That's why you ensure you get a class 10.9 like the ones used from the factory.

I used ANSYS (Engineering stress analysis program) to model these tow hooks. I made a model of how they come from the factory (ie, w/ the plates) and I made a model of them using large washers instead of the plates (how I have mine).

There is no significant difference. The fact is that the bolts are mostly in shear when the hooks are used. If they were primarly in tension, the plates would help to properly distribute the load to the subframe. But that's not the case. What IS important is that you use the correct bolts to attach the hooks. Like you said, you don't want to pick up any bolts b/c they can easily fail.

I've had them on my Jeep for almost 2 months. I've gotten it stuck in the mud MANY times (stock Jeep w/ highway tires worn to the wear bars) and pulled it out. Never had any problems and the bolts show no sign of deformation.

ParaCAD 12-22-2010 08:48 AM

Re: Front Tow Hooks
 
Question: can thos hooks be detached from that 3 legged mounting bracket fairly easily?

By removing the 2 nuts..And are those threaded posts welded (peremantly attached) to the 3 legged mount, or not?

JeepMe 12-22-2010 09:19 AM

Re: Front Tow Hooks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ParaCAD (Post 321713)
Question: can thos hooks be detached from that 3 legged mounting bracket fairly easily?

By removing the 2 nuts..And are those threaded posts welded (peremantly attached) to the 3 legged mount, or not?

I'm not sure what threaded posts you're talking about.

From my memory you have 2 "parts" to each tow hook. One part is the hook itself and the other is the 3 legged mounting bracket. The hook is held to the mounting bracket via 2 bolts and nuts. I know when I got mine they were loose so I put a wrench on each side and tightened them. I would imagine if you removed the nuts they would come apart.

ParaCAD 12-22-2010 09:26 AM

Re: Front Tow Hooks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepMe (Post 321722)
I'm not sure what threaded posts you're talking about.

From my memory you have 2 "parts" to each tow hook. One part is the hook itself and the other is the 3 legged mounting bracket. The hook is held to the mounting bracket via 2 bolts and nuts. I know when I got mine they were loose so I put a wrench on each side and tightened them. I would imagine if you removed the nuts they would come apart.


exactly what i meant. thanks..i wondered if the 2 bolts were attached to the bracket..or if they could actually come off.

my thoughts were using that 3 legged mounting bracket as a base for creating a d-ring mount in place of the hooks

:)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community