Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Grumble while Turning... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/grumble-while-turning-13132.html)

newvisionsco 09-22-2010 01:22 AM

Grumble while Turning...

Hey there: I'm new to this group. _ I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee LTD 4WD 5.7. I'm getting an increasing grinding thump from the front end only when turning...Left-front CV joint? Possibly transfer case? Ideas?
Thanks;
Ron

magnumman426 10-09-2010 10:40 AM

Re: Grumble while Turning...

Grind and thump are 2 different things. Need a little more specific info to help you PINPOINT the noise

Sid Fields 10-09-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newvisionsco (Post 272347)
Hey there: I'm new to this group. _ I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee LTD 4WD 5.7. I'm getting an increasing grinding thump from the front end only when turning...Left-front CV joint? Possibly transfer case? Ideas?
Thanks;
Ron

I have a 2000 Grand and have had this happen a couple of times over the 11 years Iv'e had the jeep. It sounds more like a rubbing usually with a hard left. On two occassions they didn't find anything. They "lubed the lower steering bushings" once, then another time "added friction modifier to differentials". Both times it went away. It happened one other time, can't find the service statement but they never had to do a major replacement but you never know. It just started again. I am bringing it in again. I would suggest you do the same:)

magnumman426 10-09-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Fields (Post 281748)
I have a 2000 Grand and have had this happen a couple of times over the 11 years Iv'e had the jeep. It sounds more like a rubbing usually with a hard left. On two occassions they didn't find anything. They "lubed the lower steering bushings" once, then another time "added friction modifier to differentials". Both times it went away. It happened one other time, can't find the service statement but they never had to do a major replacement but you never know. It just started again. I am bringing it in again. I would suggest you do the same:)

Differentials and transfer case in the '05 are different than the '00.

Lubed the lower steering bushings? No rack in an '00 model, so are you referring to the drag link, the tie-rod ends and the upper ball joints?

If your vehicle is running in AWD full-time, I would suggest that the transfercase is at issue.

Sid Fields 10-10-2010 08:05 AM

Thanks for the info. I was just saying that it seems to be an infrequent but recurring problem. My service guys seemed to just hit it with a shotgun blast and I'm not sure that they knew exactly what they were fixing. I'll let you know if they find anything this time around.