Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Surprising Call Today... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/surprising-call-today-13173.html)

boarderman23 09-22-2010 10:20 PM

Surprising Call Today...

Got a call from the dealer today telling me that my Overland (ordered on 8/10) shipped a couple days ago and is expected by the end of the month. I placed my order after another persons' Overland, and it shipped before that one...must have gotten just the right combination.

I was quite surprised, as I didn't expect it for another month or so after reading about the wait times on here.

jonesark 09-22-2010 10:28 PM

Re: Surprising Call Today...

Wish that was my luck!!

Technosavant 09-22-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boarderman23 (Post 272996)
Got a call from the dealer today telling me that my Overland (ordered on 8/10) shipped a couple days ago and is expected by the end of the month. I placed my order after another persons' Overland, and it shipped before that one...must have gotten just the right combination.

I was quite surprised, as I didn't expect it for another month or so after reading about the wait times on here.

The main components of when it shows up seem to be what you ordered and when it was built.

What you order ends up determining how long until it is built. Some things tend to delay builds more than others (when I was waiting for mine to go down the line, my V-6 was slipping it behind V-8 models because the Pentastar was in shorter supply).

Build date seems to be the biggest factor in time to delivery once it is built. It appears that due to the QC issue of two/three weeks ago, the August builds were held up. The ones built the last week of August and first week of September were not only delayed in shipping, but extensively so because they were shipped elsewhere to wait until they could ship them. Many still haven't shipped. Meanwhile, those produced since the second week of September seem to be shipping out pretty well immediately- rarely more than 3-4 days after building, often only 1-2. I speculate that the vehicles stashed elsewhere are beings shipped at a trickle; a few here, a few there. There is apparently no felt need by Jeep to actually get these things to the buyers PDQ.

Thus, you end up with the bizarre and aggravating situation we see before us now- people who ordered 8-12 weeks ago are still waiting for their vehicles, even though they were built a month ago, if not more. People who ordered 5-6 weeks ago are taking delivery.

Meanwhile, dealer stock seems to be getting delivered, and we are likely to see that stock actually being taken by people who ordered and have been waiting. As they see a vehicle within an acceptable range of what they ordered, they're likely to snap them up and just quit waiting. The ordered vehicles will then fill out the dealer stock in a couple weeks.

boarderman23 09-22-2010 10:58 PM

That's terrible for the people who ordered first...it really should be first come first serve.

DavidB 09-24-2010 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boarderman23 (Post 273011)
That's terrible for the people who ordered first...it really should be first come first serve.

Amen!! 13 weeks and still counting!!!!!!!!!!!

tbechtel 09-24-2010 09:25 AM

I ordered Overland.Hemi, Off Road, Bright Silver on August 6 and just got it yesterday.

Skip Lincoln 09-24-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidB (Post 273383)
Amen!! 13 weeks and still counting!!!!!!!!!!!

Same here:(

Jeepski69 09-24-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boarderman23 (Post 272996)

I ordered my 2011 Overland, my fifth Grand Cherokee, over 10 weeks ago with no delivery date in sight. The car was built two weeks ago and is sitting in storage. My dealer quoted a 6-8 week delivery and this delay is costing me real money. What really disappoints me is Jeep Customer Service's answer to my inquiries about a delivery date. They say they're doing extra quality control checks on ALL new Grand Cherokees to insure my vehicle is perfect. Well, I guess the folks who placed orders just a few weeks ago and getting reasonable delivery times are not getting the same quality as me, huh? Yeah, right! On another forum, a customer's Houston dealer told him the problem is with the power tailgate on all Overlands and Limiteds with that option. A Denver poster confirms problems with the tailgates on 2 Limiteds. Why can't Jeep be straight with its customers? And, why do they not honor first-come, first served for folks who ordered identical optioned vehicles? The last new Corvette I ordered took just 24 days from order to delivery. My wife and I have formed a pretty sour opinion about the "new Chrysler Corp." We're not happy campers.