Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Leather "Inserts" (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/leather-inserts-13177.html)

Old State 09-23-2010 12:10 AM

Leather "Inserts"

Has anyone noticed the leather seats on the new Jeeps are actually only leather in the center with vinyl on the outside thigh support? This is how my '05 Limited is but I noticed they went to full leather tops in the 2010's. I just a little disappointed that Jeep did this to an otherwise top notch and classy interior. I mean if your going to put leather on the dashboard of the Overland....:confused:

Brian1f1 09-23-2010 09:46 PM

Re: Leather "Inserts"

Pretty sure overland is all leather?

J13ntv 09-23-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian1f1 (Post 273249)
Pretty sure overland is all leather?

Ill let you know tomorrow morning after I pick mine up. :D

MeanDean 09-23-2010 11:33 PM

Yeah, if mine is not leather than it's the finest vinyl I've ever sat on.

Seriously though...it's leather.

Jeeters 09-24-2010 04:53 AM

The leather seats in the Laredo and the the base leather seats on the Limited have "Capri" vinyl bolsters.

If you option for the ventilated seats on the Limited, or get the Overland in which the ventilated seats are standard, then the bolsters are leather.

Hem-e 09-24-2010 05:42 AM

I cant tell, but I went for the vented seats.

Old State 09-24-2010 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeters (Post 273342)
The leather seats in the Laredo and the the base leather seats on the Limited have "Capri" vinyl bolsters.

If you option for the ventilated seats on the Limited, or get the Overland in which the ventilated seats are standard, then the bolsters are leather.

I have seen several Overlands at the dealers; all with vented seats. The bolsters (the pieces that touch the outside of your thighs) are vinyl. 100% absolutely sure. Feel them in contrast to the main part where your butt and back are. That area is leather.

This is exactly how the seats in my 2005 Limited are. Actually, the drivers side outside bolster has cracked, and if anyone could not see it was vinyl before, its obvious now. Though the new vinyl is much softer and closer to leather, but still very obviously vinyl for my eyes.

Actually, I commented to the sales person and he said that he had noticed it when they got their first Overlands in. He did say I was the only customer who had noticed though. Again, 100% sure the BOLSTERS (not the main seat inserts) are absolutely vinyl.

CPT2010 09-24-2010 09:22 AM

Congrats...

Jeeters 09-24-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old State (Post 273444)
I have seen several Overlands at the dealers; all with vented seats. The bolsters (the pieces that touch the outside of your thighs) are vinyl. 100% absolutely sure.

If so, that goes against all Jeep literature I've seen, including the consumer and fleet brochures for the WK2.

Sparro 09-24-2010 09:29 AM

I believe on jeep.ca it calls the seats as leather seating surfaces and not leather seats.

Old State 09-24-2010 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeters (Post 273446)
If so, that goes against all Jeep literature I've seen, including the consumer and fleet brochures for the WK2.

Forget the literature and actually go see and touch the new seats. I think it will be obvious (although I do realize there are people that can't tell Pergo from real wood floors; though not many)

The bolsters are the same material as the backs of the seats, the armrest, and the middle piece between the back seats.

This isn't a deal breaker for me, it just pisses me off. Especially when the Overland DASHBOARD is leather!!:confused:

My buddy's Honda Accord has leather bolsters!!

Old State 09-24-2010 09:49 AM

From the website:

"The leather trim is sure to please. Get a close look and check out the quality details and accent stitching. Overland features an upscale leather treatment on seats, doors and dashboard and heated second-row seats."

Notice the language? They are careful not to ever say "Leather Seats". They did this in 2005 literature referring to the seats as having "leather inserts". I didn't notice this detail in the brochure until after I noticed the vinyl used in my new seats.

You can actually see in this pic that the side bolsters (right half of the pic) are vinyl. I realize my eyes are more sensitive to this stuff than most, but if you look close you can see.

Maybe Jeep will go all leather for the "saddle" up charge. I'm hoping, but not betting on it.

http://www.jeep.com/shared/2011/gran...detail_ter.png