Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Advanced Warning/ACC Group Question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/advanced-warning-acc-group-question-13179.html)

rb3wreath 09-23-2010 12:20 AM

Advanced Warning/ACC Group Question

Does anyone know if there's an existing Chrysler vehicle available to test drive now that has the Advanced Warning and Adaptive Cruise Control Group features? That stuff sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if it's worth the $1000+ to add on to my order.

Also, does anyone know, does this just add a bunch of small little sensors all over the Jeep similar to the ones found on the back bumper?

J13ntv 09-23-2010 07:38 AM

Re: Advanced Warning/ACC Group Question

The Acc I read has sensors/radar in the front grille and the blind spot has sensors on the left and right side of the car ( not sure if visible).

Also not sure if any current vehicle by them has it.

routh 09-23-2010 07:46 AM

Does anyone know if Chrysler's ACC uses the brakes or coasts to slow down when coming up on a slower car?

J13ntv 09-23-2010 07:59 AM

Chrysler 300 and 300c late 2007s look to have the option it seems like after reading the web. It also states "Our ACC system automatically brakes or accelerates the vehicle depending upon traffic conditions.""

Repo503 09-23-2010 09:16 PM

These systems are all terrible...they don't follow closely enough, so you are constantly getting cut off by people moving into the fast lane. I have distronic on my merc e class and I used it exactly once. As far as blind spots are concerned learn to adjust your mirrors or turn your head.

Red G8R 09-24-2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Repo503 (Post 273227)
As far as blind spots are concerned learn to adjust your mirrors or turn your head.

Then forget about ABS too....just learn to pump your brakes fast.
Forget about TPMS too.....just check your tire pressures daily.

These are all there to help with safety. It's an option now and one day all cars will have them.

Technosavant 09-24-2010 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red G8R (Post 273657)
Then forget about ABS too....just learn to pump your brakes fast.
Forget about TPMS too.....just check your tire pressures daily.

These are all there to help with safety. It's an option now and one day all cars will have them.

They're safety devices, but I don't know I'd put them in the same class with ABS and TPMS. Adaptive cruise might be nice, but quite honestly, if you're constantly having to adjust your speed, you ought to not be in cruise control anyway.

Blind spot detection and the cross path warning would indeed be quite useful. Blind spot less so, but it's another little edge- less necessary if mirrors are adjusted properly, but too few people know how to do that. Better they have SOMETHING.

The cross path warning is great for when you park next to a huge vehicle and you just can't see to the sides as you back out- some people just fly through parking lots (even busy ones), and that might help avoid some moron who yaps on their cell phone while doing 25mph down a congested aisle.

Steve52 09-24-2010 04:27 PM

I agree with techno. I would pay something for a forward warning system alone that would tell me if I am about to hit a car parked across the aisle in a parking lot, or hit the wall in a parking garage, but I believe that this blind spot warning system could become irritating driving down the interstate with a lot of cars around you. In any event I can't see paying $1,295 for it. That is way too much!

ghouston 09-24-2010 05:16 PM

The ACC sensor is located in the center of the lower grille is it not? I'm wondering about winter durability. We tend to bet a lot of gravel placed on the roads in northern BC, and it's hard enough on windshields and paint! Is the unit going to be tough enough to stand up to constant bombardment? How about driving through slush and snow? Will these block the sensor enough to make it inoperable?

rdalcanto 09-27-2010 07:36 AM

I ordered my Overland with the ACC also, but now I'm worried about a couple of things. First, will the cruise control cause my Valentine radar detector to go crazy the way Infinity vehicles seems to do if they get behind me. Also, has anyone found a picture of the grill on a vehicle with the ACC? We will be towing our Jeep behind our Motorhome, and the tow bar I use (Ready Brute) uses a surge brake system that will attach to a cable I will need to run from the brake pedal, throught the firewall, and out the front grill of the Jeep (as close to the middle as possible). I'm worried this sensor location is going to be a problem. Thanks!

Technosavant 09-27-2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdalcanto (Post 274823)
I ordered my Overland with the ACC also, but now I'm worried about a couple of things. First, will the cruise control cause my Valentine radar detector to go crazy the way Infinity vehicles seems to do if they get behind me. Also, has anyone found a picture of the grill on a vehicle with the ACC? We will be towing our Jeep behind our Motorhome, and the tow bar I use (Ready Brute) uses a surge brake system that will attach to a cable I will need to run from the brake pedal, throught the firewall, and out the front grill of the Jeep (as close to the middle as possible). I'm worried this sensor location is going to be a problem. Thanks!

1) Will it annoy your radar detector? I'd expect so.

2) There's a pic of the sensor in the publicity photos. I'd link to one at WKJeeps.com, but that site isn't working at the moment (try the pic of the Overland parked right in front of that pretty house). The sensor is right between the tow hooks just below the front bumper. There's even a section of the owner's manual dedicated to removing the sensor for off-roading; if you pull the lower front fascia for extra clearance that sensor becomes a potential problem.

rdalcanto 09-27-2010 03:47 PM

Thanks, I actually found a picture on the last page of the Specifications booklet inside the big brochure we get at the dealer. Man, I can't decide if I should cancel that part of my order. It may be a problem with my towing brake cable, and if I can't use my radar detector, I'm not going to be happy.... Crap.