Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Advanced Warning/ACC Group Question

9K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  jcnaranjo 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if there's an existing Chrysler vehicle available to test drive now that has the Advanced Warning and Adaptive Cruise Control Group features? That stuff sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if it's worth the $1000+ to add on to my order.

Also, does anyone know, does this just add a bunch of small little sensors all over the Jeep similar to the ones found on the back bumper?

#2 ·
The Acc I read has sensors/radar in the front grille and the blind spot has sensors on the left and right side of the car ( not sure if visible).

Also not sure if any current vehicle by them has it.

#4 · (Edited)
Chrysler 300 and 300c late 2007s look to have the option it seems like after reading the web. It also states "Our ACC system automatically brakes or accelerates the vehicle depending upon traffic conditions.""

#5 ·
These systems are all terrible...they don't follow closely enough, so you are constantly getting cut off by people moving into the fast lane. I have distronic on my merc e class and I used it exactly once. As far as blind spots are concerned learn to adjust your mirrors or turn your head.

#6 ·
As far as blind spots are concerned learn to adjust your mirrors or turn your head.
Then forget about ABS too....just learn to pump your brakes fast.
Forget about TPMS too.....just check your tire pressures daily.

These are all there to help with safety. It's an option now and one day all cars will have them.

#8 ·
I agree with techno. I would pay something for a forward warning system alone that would tell me if I am about to hit a car parked across the aisle in a parking lot, or hit the wall in a parking garage, but I believe that this blind spot warning system could become irritating driving down the interstate with a lot of cars around you. In any event I can't see paying $1,295 for it. That is way too much!

#9 ·
The ACC sensor is located in the center of the lower grille is it not? I'm wondering about winter durability. We tend to bet a lot of gravel placed on the roads in northern BC, and it's hard enough on windshields and paint! Is the unit going to be tough enough to stand up to constant bombardment? How about driving through slush and snow? Will these block the sensor enough to make it inoperable?

#10 ·
I ordered my Overland with the ACC also, but now I'm worried about a couple of things. First, will the cruise control cause my Valentine radar detector to go crazy the way Infinity vehicles seems to do if they get behind me. Also, has anyone found a picture of the grill on a vehicle with the ACC? We will be towing our Jeep behind our Motorhome, and the tow bar I use (Ready Brute) uses a surge brake system that will attach to a cable I will need to run from the brake pedal, throught the firewall, and out the front grill of the Jeep (as close to the middle as possible). I'm worried this sensor location is going to be a problem. Thanks!

#11 ·
1) Will it annoy your radar detector? I'd expect so.

2) There's a pic of the sensor in the publicity photos. I'd link to one at WKJeeps.com, but that site isn't working at the moment (try the pic of the Overland parked right in front of that pretty house). The sensor is right between the tow hooks just below the front bumper. There's even a section of the owner's manual dedicated to removing the sensor for off-roading; if you pull the lower front fascia for extra clearance that sensor becomes a potential problem.

#12 ·
Thanks, I actually found a picture on the last page of the Specifications booklet inside the big brochure we get at the dealer. Man, I can't decide if I should cancel that part of my order. It may be a problem with my towing brake cable, and if I can't use my radar detector, I'm not going to be happy.... Crap.

#13 ·
You don't *have* to use the adaptive cruise. You can just disable that capability when you'd rather go rather quickly. IMO, if you're going fast enough for a detector to be useful, you're better off not "checking out" of driving to the point where the vehicle itself is managing your speed.

#16 ·
The sticky with updates up top says the forward collision warning and side warnings won't go into production until DECEMBER!!! That means I could be waiting for my car until January! I'm stopping by my dealer tomorrow. If that is the case, I'm cancelling that part of the order.

#21 ·
I went to the dealer today hoping to test drive the ACC on a 300C. Unfortunately they didn't have ACC on the only 300C in their inventory. They told me their orders are on a 60 day cycle, and if the manufacturer accepted the order, which they did, then it shouldn't be too long a wait for the ACC and FC warning. They told me changing the order won't speed up delivery by much. I don't know if what they told me is accurate.... They don't even know if I can still change me order. So far, I'm in "C" status.

#22 ·
I ordered a green Overland with light interior before the saddle interior was available to be ordered with green. A few days later it was possible to order green with saddle and I wanted to change my order. The order was C status at the time and the dealer could not change the order through his ordering system, nor could he cancel the order. The dealer spoke with his factory rep the next day and the rep was able to change the order. The VON stayed the same.

#23 ·
Took delevery of my 5.7L Limited w/Tech Pkg. yesterday. So far everything is good after 120 miles.

I put the ACC to test by setting the cruise ctl. to 60mph on a local interstate with moderately heavy traffic flow. Stayed in the right lane so traffic entering would merge in front of me. (enterances are 1/4 - 1/2 mi apart here). I was impressed with how the system reacted!
The GC decelerated and applied the brakes as if I were doing it myself!
Depending on the speed difference of the car merging in front, the GC decelerated and the brakes applied themselves anywhere between lightly to moderately heavy.

When the car in front accelerated or changed lane, mine resumed speed unless there was another car going slower than the preset.

The blind spot warning worked well also. When a car on either side passed, the indicator came on as soon as it approched the blind spot.

I haven't used the collision warning yet. I assume it will work as good as the ACC as it is on the same system.

#24 ·
Bob, I picked up my Overland with the Tech group just a few days ago also. Like you I found all the systems work very well. The only one I am confused about the the front collision warning.

Is that something that only works when the cruise is on or should it be working all the time? It's pretty hard to see if it's working but I have purposely came up pretty fast on the rear of a car in front of me but never got a warning.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

#29 ·
Bob, I picked up my Overland with the Tech group just a few days ago also. Like you I found all the systems work very well. The only one I am confused about the the front collision warning.

Is that something that only works when the cruise is on or should it be working all the time? It's pretty hard to see if it's working but I have purposely came up pretty fast on the rear of a car in front of me but never got a warning.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
I haven't tried to figure it out YET. Here's the info in the owners manual for the collision warning.

<A name=subtopic-6>
<A name=ssubtopic-1>

Forward Collision Warning — If Equipped

Forward Collision Warning (FCW) warns the driver of a potential collision with the vehicle in front of you and prompts the driver to take action in order to avoid the collision.
FCW monitors the information from the forward looking sensor as well as the Electronic Brake Controller (EBC), wheel speed sensors, i.e., to calculate a probable rear-end collision. When the system determines that a rear-end collision is probable a warning message (both audible and visual) will be displayed on the EVIC. When the system determines a collision with the vehicle in front of you is no longer probable, the warning message will be deactivated.

FCW Message
Warning!Forward Collision Warning (FCW) is not intended to avoid a collision on its own. The driver has the responsibility to avoid a collision by controlling the vehicle via braking and steering. Failure to follow this warning could lead to serious injury or death.
<A name="">

Changing FCW status

The FCW feature can be set to far, set to near or turned off in the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) refer to “Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)” in “Understanding Your Instrument Panel” for further information. The FCW Status Off, Near or Far will be displayed in the EVIC.
<A name="">

Example Only
The default status of FCW is the “Far” setting, this allows the system to warn you of a possible collision with the vehicle in front of you when you are farther away. This gives you the most reaction time.
Changing the FCW status to the “Near” setting, allows the system to warn you of a possible collision with the vehicle in front of you when you are much closer. This setting provides less reaction time than the “Far” setting, which allows for a more dynamic driving experience.
Changing the FCW status to “Off” prevents the system from warning you of a possible collision with the vehicle in front of you.
Note: In the “Off” setting FCW OFF will be displayed in the EVIC. <A name="">

FCW Off Example

Note:
  • The system will retain the last setting selected by the driver after ignition shut down.
  • FCW will not react to irrelevant objects such as overhead objects, ground reflections, objects not in the path of the car, stationary objects that are far away, oncoming traffic, or leading vehicles with the same or higher rate of speed.
  • FCW will be disabled like ACC below with the unavailable screens.
<A name="">

FCW Unavailable Warning

If the system turns off, and the EVIC displays “ACC/FCW Unavailable, Vehicle System Error”, there may be a temporary malfunction that limits FCW functionality. Although the vehicle is still drivable under normal conditions, FCW will be temporarily unavailable. If this occurs, try activating FCW again later, following a key cycle. If the problem persists, see your authorized dealer.
<A name="">

Service FCW Warning

If the system turns off, and the EVIC displays “ACC/FCW Unavailable Service Radar Sensor”, it indicates there is an internal system fault. Although the vehicle is still drivable under normal conditions, have the system checked by an authorized dealer.
<A name="">

ACC/FCW Unavailable Warning

#25 ·
How close are each of the following distances? Does it adjust the differences for speed? Is the closest distance close enough to get a good draft?

Is it jerky at all with the braking? Will it coast rather than brake to slow down? What I don't want is a system that will apply brakes during casual highway driving where decelerating can be done by coasting instead.

I've got the package on order, just hope it suits my driving style.

#26 ·
The following distance on the adaptive cruise control can be set to either 1 (close), 2 (medium) or 3 (farther) with a button on the steering wheel. I am not sure if the distance is speed dependent but I don't think so. I find that 1 is a bit too close for my comfort, so I normally use 2 when I am using ACC.

The braking is very natural, it is doing what you would do anyway. I am not sure I would trust it if traffic ahead came to a full stop since I do not know what its limits are. When on a four lane highway with the adaptive cruise set to 55 mph and a red traffic light a quarter of a mile ahead, I allowed the cruise control to do its thing. It slowed and maintained a safe distance from the car in front of me as that car slowed (ACC distance set to "2") and as the car in front of me braked to a stop, I got the full beeping warning and felt strong braking as my car slowed below 25 mph. I am not sure if the beeping was the forward collision warning system or a warning that ACC was being disengaged (below 25 mph). While it SEEMED like the braking was going to stop the car completely before I hit the car in front of me, I wasn't prepared to test the ACC to that extent, so I applied the brakes myself for the final short distance.

Blind spot warning and cross traffic detection work great as well. I haven't tried out the forward collision warning yet (unless that is what I was getting when the car was braking above). I don't know if ACC has to be engaged to get the braking - I'd really like to know that.

Redbolt
Overland 4x4 Hemi
Blackberry Pearl
Off Road Adventure II
Tech Package

#28 ·
The braking is very natural, it is doing what you would do anyway. I am not sure I would trust it if traffic ahead came to a full stop since I do not know what its limits are. When on a four lane highway with the adaptive cruise set to 55 mph and a red traffic light a quarter of a mile ahead, I allowed the cruise control to do its thing. It slowed and maintained a safe distance from the car in front of me as that car slowed (ACC distance set to "2") and as the car in front of me braked to a stop, I got the full beeping warning and felt strong braking as my car slowed below 25 mph. I am not sure if the beeping was the forward collision warning system or a warning that ACC was being disengaged (below 25 mph). While it SEEMED like the braking was going to stop the car completely before I hit the car in front of me, I wasn't prepared to test the ACC to that extent, so I applied the brakes myself for the final short distance.

That's my question, if you have it set and lets say the car in front of you comes to a complete stop does the ACC bring you to a complete stop?

What if the car in front of you slams on their brakes, can the ACC control that sudden stop?

#30 ·
Personally I think the package is well worth the $1200, in fact it's the only upgrade that could actually pay for itself. I've had mine for about 2 weeks, the blind spot monitoring works great. It's not annoying at all because there is no audible sound unless you are moving into the lane where a car is in your blink spot. The system also warns you if you are backing out of a parking spot and a car is approaching from the side, very nice. The ACC works great when it's working (mine needs service already) I will break fairly hard if necessary, it almost brought my jeep to a complete stop once when the car in front of me stopped. (Of course I took over before it came to a complete stop.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.