Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   waxing new vehicle (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/waxing-new-vehicle-13181.html)

Paul Appell 09-23-2010 06:55 AM

waxing new vehicle

My July 19th ordered Overland is reportedly on a truck transport on the way to Illinois. My dealer usually has a one day delivery time. I do not mean to upset those still waiting that ordered before me(I do get upset when people cut in front of me when I am standing in a line for something), but I do have a question about how soon I can wax the vehicle. When I got my 2000 Limited, the dealer recomended that I wait 3 months to let the paint properly dry and set. Is this a good idea? Other than making the vehicle shine more, is it even necessary with the current paints? I am getting a blackberry Overland. My wife and I are getting specialty plates(agricultural) for the Overland. We have the option of getting vanity or personalized numbers or letters. We can have 2 thru 5 letters. We are still trying to decide what to put on the plate. Any suggestions?

SRTILL8 09-23-2010 07:01 AM

Re: waxing new vehicle

wax that sucker up!!

factory paint is cured at much higher temps than aftermarket paint jobs, sometimes over 300* in special bake ovens with out the plastic trims and etc that comes on the vehicle after its been painted/cured. not to worry about waxing that baby. go for it!

as for custom plates- where are you from? and i have custom plates on my beast as well.

welcome and gl yo-

Scottina06 09-23-2010 07:55 PM

I would wait atleast 60 days from the production date. Paint just doesnt need to dry...it needs to cure! If you seal in the chemicals that need to be cured....the paint wont be as protective etc. that it needs to be or as glossy

Joe in PA 09-23-2010 08:06 PM

I'll not get into the debate on waiting or not to wax the new Jeep, however you really should use either wax or a sealant on the paint. Today's paints have nothing that will prevent things like acid rain, brake dust, bug guts, bird crap and any number of other things from damaging the clearcoat. ;)

J13ntv 09-23-2010 08:34 PM

I do believe the dealer will wax it however, so if you want to use a wax, im not sure if you can apply over, or should wash it a couple of times to try to strip the dealer wax?

DavidB 09-24-2010 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 273173)
I would wait atleast 60 days from the production date. Paint just doesnt need to dry...it needs to cure! If you seal in the chemicals that need to be cured....the paint wont be as protective etc. that it needs to be or as glossy

Hell , then I have nothing to worry about, my Jeep will have been painted atleast 60 days by the time I finally get it:mad:

Scottina06 09-24-2010 09:35 AM

^^^^ouch