Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   UConnect Guardian (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/uconnect-guardian-13192.html)

JEEPWK2 09-23-2010 08:33 PM

UConnect Guardian

Will the UConnect Guardian (the thing like OnStar) be available soon on the WK2 or are they still trying to make a deal with the service provider?

Scottina06 09-23-2010 08:49 PM

Re: UConnect Guardian

I havent heard anything...but it will be posted here first when it does happen

Hemi05WK 09-25-2010 02:26 PM

Its Called Mopar EVTS and its available now...

Scottina06 09-25-2010 03:04 PM

tell us about it Tom

jeepster23 09-25-2010 03:14 PM

If you are just referring to the available tracking system that is in no way similar to the Uconnect Guardian that was cancelled as a result of a dispute between Jeep and Hughes Telematics.

Hemi05WK 09-25-2010 03:26 PM

The Mopar EVTS system....
Out of the box is a 24/7 locating system available anywhere that you have internet access, and to any state, on like cometitive systems where law enforcement has to have a system to decode the signal.

if you up grade to the silver service pkg, you get geofencing, speed alerts and other configurable options. Gold pkg upgrade gets you all silver service options, plus unlimited live tracking and concierge service

IndyBob 09-25-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemi05WK (Post 274159)
The Mopar EVTS system....
Out of the box is a 24/7 locating system available anywhere that you have internet access, and to any state, on like cometitive systems where law enforcement has to have a system to decode the signal.

if you up grade to the silver service pkg, you get geofencing, speed alerts and other configurable options. Gold pkg upgrade gets you all silver service options, plus unlimited live tracking and concierge service

Is the EVTS an option that needs to be ordered or is the hardware already there and it is a subscription service?

Thanks.

Hemi05WK 09-25-2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyBob (Post 274278)
Is the EVTS an option that needs to be ordered or is the hardware already there and it is a subscription service?

Thanks.

Its currently only available through the parts department. There is no subscription needed for the base pkg (locate vehicle) the other two pkg's are yearly for 149. for silver and 249. for gold. you do have to communticate with the call center when you initally install it and yearly (or if there is a change needed, sooner) or the system will not be active. the base system does not have a yearly fee.

Milous 09-26-2010 02:28 AM

More details:

http://www.guidepointsystems.com/doc...nermsanual.pdf

EmeraldOne 09-26-2010 06:33 AM

Does anyone use Guidepoint and have experiences to share?

JoeSchmoe007 09-26-2010 09:29 AM

Yeah, this looks interesting. However, it is only as good as infrastructure behind (human and IT). I found no reviews at all. I also wonder how much installation would cost

JoeSchmoe007 09-26-2010 10:24 AM

Another important point: it seems it relies on GPS to find location and then uses AT&T cellular network to send location to data center (using SMS or data connection I would guess).

1) I couldn't find how often location is updated

2) GPS has receptions problems even when under dense foliage. So if I parked my car under the roof in the parking structure (not underground) GPS is not likely to work but cell phone may work.

What I am getting to is that system should use both GPS and cell tower triangulation to be truly reliable.