Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Midgrade with NO ethanol. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/midgrade-with-no-ethanol-13204.html)

brent 09-24-2010 08:43 AM

Midgrade with NO ethanol.

There's this little gas station that has midgrade with NO ethanol.

I ran my Jeep down to about an 1/8th of a tank and filled it up with the midgrade, ethanol free gas. I swear it runs so much better. Now, granted I usually fill up with the cheap grade so there may be some difference with the octane points... but I could swear my Jeep didn't run this well on 10 percent ethanol mid grade.

The gas pedal feels more responsive. Gunning it from a stop on a straight road used to give me this slight surging feel in the engine... it's gone. I can't really describe how great this stuff is.

Then again, it could be psychosomatic. Anyone else find ethanol free gas and run their jeep on it? I'm going to run this gas for a while and see what my MPG looks like.

LTrainGC 09-24-2010 08:47 AM

Re: Midgrade with NO ethanol.

I'm lucky to have a gas station on my way to/from work that has ethanol-free gas, so I always use it. I get better MPG (not much, about 5% better) and my truck definitely runs smoother on it.

GR33N D3M0N 09-24-2010 10:51 AM

man i wish i could find a station like that....theres one that sells 90 octane, they call it racing fuel :rollseyes: just because there isnt ethanol, but they also charge 20 cents more a gallon....

Chaoul1 09-24-2010 10:54 AM

WOw...That's what I need! ALl the gas stations around me run 10% Ethanol!

ballajim 09-24-2010 11:01 AM

i have been running ethanol free for the past two years and i am very happy to pay the extra 15 cents per gallon. I get better mpg, better performance, and peace of mind. I have had to have my four wheeler, lawn mower and two weedeaters repaired due to ethanol gas. mostly due rotten fuel lines and gummed up filters. my grandad even had to have the fuel pump replaced in his old packard due to that mess. its just bad stuff, especially if it sits in a vehicle for an extended period

maxst2 09-25-2010 12:11 PM

Doesn't have much of any losses from 87 or 89 with e10. I just drove to Texas and mpg was the same. 70mph, fully loaded cabin with roof rack I got 18mpg.

First tank was e10... last couple have been reg 87.

jeepgcoman 09-25-2010 03:43 PM

I just discovered a local refiner that has non-ethanol 89 fuel. You have to sign up and be approved, as they are primarily a commercial refueler. Then they bill you twice a month. There are no prices on the pumps, but they claim they try to stay competitive and usually run about 2 cents/gallon more than the ethanol stuff. Pre ethanol on my LX I used to get about 2 mpg better than I do now with the ethanol stuff. Have never run non ethanol in the WK. Don't know if it would be worth it though. Any more WKer's have experience with non-ethanol fuels?

brent 09-28-2010 08:52 AM

Ok, I love this stuff! Been working my way through my first tank and I can definitely tell an improvement. Also got 22.5 MPG on the freeway (reset comp at crusing speed and drove for ~25 miles). Definitely an improvement from my normal 20 mpg under similar conditions. The Jeep just runs like it should now....