Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Experienced Virgin (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/experienced-virgin-13217.html)

moosehead 09-24-2010 12:47 PM

Experienced Virgin

Not even a noob yet as I never have owned a Jeep. In fact, haven't owned an American car for nearly 30 years. Most recently, we are coming out of multiple Audi's, a VW Touareg, and an Acura MDX. Throw in an FJ years ago, and my brother's wheelin' CJ. We've test driven all the major SUV imports including Rovers, Bimmer's, and the rice burners.

All that's going to change with the '11 JGC. Saw the press and test drove the Limited last week, both the V6 and the Hemi. Incredible vehicles. Very, very well done. Some may not like chrome, and some want the old skool/square bodied/lifted/fat tired wheelin mods, but this is one helluva solid rollout.

Sure, there will be some bugs in a year one edition, but most first movers know that and are willing to deal with it. Based on limited availability and late option challenges, that's already happened with this SUV, and I can clearly see why.

Other than Apple, how many upscale, expensive products are selling like hotcakes these days? (crickets chirping).

Before you trash me for being a namby pamby, pavement dwelling, import loving, city driving, german car communist - we actually use our SUV's, from Denver school shuttles and nights out, to high altitude Rocky Mountain cruising in subzero temps, to 45" powder storm ski quests, mountain biking, boat towing, and gasp - off roading. No rock crawling but the kind with dirt, rocks, sticks, mud, and water.

I'm ordering this vehicle. Anyone got a line on an Overland in Silver with V8, trail rated doo dads, and the observatory-sized sunroof? Gonna add the Mopar 18" Jeep black rims for AT and winter. Gotta love the seats that combat swamp butt.

Technosavant 09-24-2010 02:58 PM

Re: Experienced Virgin

I've yet to see an Overland with the off-road package, that's definitely going to be a special order one.

Hope you don't have to wait long to get it- based on current tracking, it looks like you won't.

DJ BoNiOmArIo 09-24-2010 02:59 PM

welcome and yes ur making the right choice :D

moosehead 09-24-2010 03:12 PM

Heck, I have yet to see an Overland in person, but need to before folding like a lawn chair and doing the chinese menu on a Limited.

Colorado dealers saying Turkeyday for the Overland.

MeanDean 09-24-2010 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 273679)
I've yet to see an Overland with the off-road package, that's definitely going to be a special order one.

Hope you don't have to wait long to get it- based on current tracking, it looks like you won't.

I have an Overland with the off-road package and Hemi. Took less than 5 weeks from order to delivery. Definately worth the wait!

dubwarren 09-24-2010 06:25 PM

i just couldnt give up the 20 inch rims to get the off road package. those 20's make the jeep, IMO. it seems like the whole look of the jeep changes when you take them off and put the 18's on. if you could get the off road and swap the wheels out for the 20's then you'd have something rare. and sweet.

Scottina06 09-24-2010 06:26 PM

welcome and great to have ya!!!!

moosehead 09-24-2010 07:46 PM

Dubwarren, do you have a link to some photos of your rig? Thanx.

Jim Hef 09-24-2010 10:26 PM

Dub, I may agree with you, but for him, choosing the off-road package is the way to go. So, he should buy the 20s as the second set, but would still need A/T tires on the 18s. That's the silly part of the off road package...all-season tires as stock!

moosehead 09-24-2010 10:46 PM

Possible alternative is to go ahead and get the O-land Hemi with Tow group with the 20's, and then aftermarket the skid plates, tow hooks, and black 18's with proper rubber. Obviously this would leave behind the meat of the OR such as rear ELSD, axle upgrade, and other bits.

Tempted only because I may have found one in stock, impatience rears its ugly head again.

Edit: Below photos - Whoa, DW, that O is spectacular in silver. It's all over now.

dubwarren 09-24-2010 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 273836)
Dubwarren, do you have a link to some photos of your rig? Thanx.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f14/my-11-overland-more-pics-this-time-12044.html

Escape 09-24-2010 11:06 PM

Welcome aboard!

For what it's worth...I'd wait for exactly what you want/need...The Off-Road version.

My 05 used to be the 4x4 Off-Road version. It is soon to transform back into it for winter time.