Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Braking (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/braking-13295.html)

jugganator 09-27-2010 05:53 AM

Braking

When applying the brake pedal to my jeep it appears as my jeep is jerking to a stop, its not a smooth process as you would expect, i would almost put it as if i had 4 flat tires going around and around.

Tires are new and good, no damage. Do i need to change my pads? i have about 32000 miles. or could it be the bushes?

this only happens on braking and nothing else.

2006 WH 3.0 CRD Overland

kingtito 09-27-2010 07:07 AM

Re: Braking

Maybe your rotors... Get them checked out, brakes are nothing to fool with.

06HemiLtd 09-27-2010 07:46 AM

most likely your rotors have warped a little. do you have the vibration when braking from all speeds or just when going from higher speeds to a stop. the wk rotors are known to not dissipate the heat very well and expand at highway speeds.

jugganator 09-27-2010 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06HemiLtd (Post 274825)
most likely your rotors have warped a little. do you have the vibration when braking from all speeds or just when going from higher speeds to a stop. the wk rotors are known to not dissipate the heat very well and expand at highway speeds.

i would say 30mph upwards..........

i am having no end of trouble with this car.......

brent 09-27-2010 09:19 AM

Probably time to have the rotors turned or replaced. Can you feel it in the steering wheel and/or in the brake pedal?

Chaoul1 09-27-2010 09:20 AM

You Rotors are warped. I would replace them with a better set of Rotors.

jugganator 09-27-2010 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brent (Post 274866)
Probably time to have the rotors turned or replaced. Can you feel it in the steering wheel and/or in the brake pedal?

In the steering wheel, i also think if you astute as my good old dad is, you can feel it as a passanger.

can i do the rotors myself? i seriously dont want to visit the service centre, as they are a bunch of assholes.

cain45 09-27-2010 10:59 AM

My 2005 has been checked out several times and the brake pedal still "falls" when the brakes are applied. You can push on them and hold them then all of a sudden they "fall" and grab harder. 2 Dealers have said the brakes are fine so far and I have no fix in site. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

JsonRacer 09-27-2010 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cain45 (Post 274921)
My 2005 has been checked out several times and the brake pedal still "falls" when the brakes are applied. You can push on them and hold them then all of a sudden they "fall" and grab harder. 2 Dealers have said the brakes are fine so far and I have no fix in site. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

I have this exact same problem! I'm slowing down approaching a light, then all of a sudden the pedal goes down further and grabs again. Very strange. Trying to determine if it's somehow related to a downshift or something.

SvenskaJeepGuy 09-27-2010 12:21 PM

replace your rotors

StoneCold 09-27-2010 12:28 PM

Sounds like your discs for sure.

Yes, you should be able to do it yourself:thumbsup:

jugganator 09-27-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StoneCold (Post 274980)
Sounds like your discs for sure.

Yes, you should be able to do it yourself:thumbsup:

Yo, stonecold are rotors what we call discs? shame you dont live down in the "sarf"