Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   First Oil Change 5.7 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/first-oil-change-5-7-a-13316.html)

whatevrworks 09-27-2010 04:33 PM

First Oil Change 5.7

I did my first oil change at 1000 miles in my wk2 5.7L the other day. (I do it at 1000 then 4000, and then every 4000 after that on jeeps. Use Mobil 1 and Pure One filters.)

If anyone is getting ready to do it here are a couple of tips I can relay:

Dont bother with ramps. Usually the drain plug is in the rear of the oil pan, not so for this it is on the forward right side so if you put the front end up on ramps or jack up the front there will be a significant amount that does not drain out. (I put the ramps behind the read tires and backed it up that, worked well and lower the front more than the rear for better drainage.

I thought the filter was a pain in the ass on my wifes 4.7 commander. This one sucks even more. Although there is a nice cutout in the plastic "skid plate" under the engine so you can access the drain plug and filter, I was completely unable to use any of the strap style (metal or rubber) filter wrenches I have. I had to go get one of those end cap style that you put on a ratchet to get the filter off. The reason for this is that there is a metal piece surrounding the filter for the most part (which is good to protect it and to guide any oil away from the engine so it can go into the drain pan) but because of this metal guard it was impossible for me to get the strap wrench around the filter in the available space.

Other than that all was well. Used exactly 7 quarts of mobil 1 5w-20 and a pure one filter. Filled it right up to the appropriate level (none of that 7.5-8 quarts some people talk about.)

I did about 800 of the 1000 miles on the highway and about 150 of them towing a 6500 pound boat/trailer. Towing I was getting about 16 on the highway and without towing I have been averaging about 21-22 doing my usual 75 mph or so. These are numbers according to the computer and according to my calculations. Both are very close.

MeanDean 09-27-2010 04:52 PM

Re: First Oil Change 5.7

Thanks for the tips. I'll have to go to the local parts store and buy a cap-end filter wrench. It's a shame really, I have such a nice strap wrench.

Anyway, thanks again for the tips.

whatevrworks 09-27-2010 04:54 PM

Yeah, but give it a try just in case I have seen some lower profile ones that could possibly work but I doubt it. Never really liked the end cap ones, dont know why just prefer strap style.

MeanDean 09-27-2010 04:58 PM

You don't by chance have the skid plates installed? I was wondering it they are a PITA for routine oil changes.

jpsmith 09-27-2010 05:23 PM

This is one area where I wish I had the pentastar. The filter is just a paper cartridge - not a canister - that inserts into the top of the engine.

moosehead 09-27-2010 06:18 PM

+1 for the tips. Even more impressive is your 5.7 gas mileage at 75 mph.

whatevrworks 09-27-2010 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeanDean (Post 275228)
You don't by chance have the skid plates installed? I was wondering it they are a PITA for routine oil changes.

No, dont have the skid plates. Learned that the hard way on an old jeep, and vowed I would never get those again unless I started doing some serious off road stuff. The minimal amount I do does not outweigh the giant PIA when it comes time to maintenance.

Knightrider03m 09-28-2010 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpsmith (Post 275243)
This is one area where I wish I had the pentastar. The filter is just a paper cartridge - not a canister - that inserts into the top of the engine.

O rly?

Does it go were that big round tab is on the engine cover?

Jeeters 09-28-2010 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeanDean (Post 275228)

The plastic 'skid plate' you get if you don't have the *real* skid plates looks almost exactly the same as the real skid plates (at least from picture of the real skid plates I saw); same exact cut out in both the plastic and metal plate for access to the drain plug. But maybe the plastic skid plate can be more easily removed for servicing; i have no idea.

Jeeters 09-28-2010 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knightrider03m (Post 275685)
Does it go were that big round tab is on the engine cover?

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/engine/3.6L_...ter_change.pdf

J13ntv 09-28-2010 03:14 PM

Your dealer didn't give you first oil change as a COMP? or you rather just do it yourself and use synthetic?

whatevrworks 09-28-2010 08:03 PM

Would rather do it myself to guarantee that Mobil 1 gets in there. Also gives me a chance to poke around under the hood a little. Always prefer to do what I can myself on my vehicles unless required for warranty. That way I know its done right! :D

But yeah I got a coupon in the mail for free first oil change, and car wash.