Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   WK Transmission Delayed Engagement (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/wk-transmission-delayed-engagement-13418.html)

ColoradoJeep 09-29-2010 11:59 AM

WK Transmission Delayed Engagement

Just had my 2005 Laredo 4.7 V8 in for 60K service. Told dealer about delayed engagement of the transmission and handed over a printed copy of TSB 2100706 (see links below)

The sump filter was split causing air cavitation in trans. fluid. Not a warranty item but it sure fixed the problem. Feels like a new transmission.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_tsb.htm#TRANSMISSION

http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_2100706.pdf

The delayed engagement and MIL condition (DTC's) may be caused by a suspect transmission cooler return filter with a part number of 04799662AB. A suspect 04799662AB cooler return filter may cause the transmission sump filter to split at its plastic-to-metal crimp. If the transmission sump filter becomes split at the crimp, then one or more of the above DTC's may also occur.

SvenskaJeepGuy 09-29-2010 11:18 PM

Re: WK Transmission Delayed Engagement

how much did they charge you to fix this?

Chaoul1 09-30-2010 10:54 AM

If I am out of Warranty do I have to pay for them to Fix the TSB's?

jeepgcoman 09-30-2010 11:25 AM

Yes, you pay, unless your dealer is real cool.

SvenskaJeepGuy 09-30-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaoul1 (Post 277169)
If I am out of Warranty do I have to pay for them to Fix the TSB's?

yes, thats why i am wondering how much they charged him. my dealer said $175 for this service, but i was under warranty so it was $100 deductable with a few other services.

cain45 09-30-2010 04:42 PM

Mine is an 05 and still does this even after a fluid change and changing both filters.

jeepgcoman 10-02-2010 11:03 AM

Cain45, does yours do it all the time, or just when it has sat for a long time? Does it work normally once engaged, or do you have problems with shift quality (firmness) and schedule (timing)?

cain45 10-02-2010 02:22 PM

It only does it if it's off for about 8 hours or more. I've noticed if I put it in neutral first for a few seconds it goes right into then. :confused:
It shifts great all other times....just when it sits for awhile. Dealer said it may need to be reprogrammed????

jeepgcoman 10-02-2010 02:48 PM

Cain45, it is more likely that the converter drainback valve is leaking. This allows fluid to drain from the converter back into the pan after sitting idle for a period of time. Here's a quote from an old thread on a different forum. Don't know how true the dealer willingness to fix is though. This was when the RFE545 trans. was fairly new.

"Between the input shaft and the input clutch hub there is a torque converter drainback valve. This is the cause of your problems. I was at tech training and our instructor informed us of this customer complaint stating they have had a lot of these drainback valves sticking. Take it to your local Chrysler dealer, even if out of warranty, complain and they will help you out, I know ours does. If they refuse to help you out ask to talk to the regional service representative. Hope i helped."

You can verify this by checking the fluid level (engine off) at night before putting it to bed. In the AM check it again (engine off) before starting it. If it is the valve, the fluid level will be considerably higher than the night before. The reason you're doing the checking with the engine off in this case is because as soon as you start the engine the fluid will be pumped back in the converter. You've obviously noticed this, in that you let it sit for a bit before putting it in gear, and the problem goes away.

cain45 10-04-2010 10:32 AM

I have noticed if I check it cold the fluid doesn't appear on the dipstick at all. If it is running and up to temp it checks fine. I've also noticed if I start it and put it in neutral first for a second or so it doesn't do the clunk.

jeepgcoman 10-04-2010 05:11 PM

Something is not right then. I just went out and checked mine (engine off) cold and it was about 5/8 in. above the full hot mark. After startup the level (engine running/cold) was just above the full cold mark. If yours is not showing on the dipstick at all when cold, you almost have to be low on fluid. Also, I wouldn't think the fluid, from cold to hot, would expand from off the stick low, up the stick ~2 in. Seems excessive to me. What fluid do you have in it? How much was put in when it was changed? Who changed it?

cain45 10-04-2010 06:03 PM

It does show up on the dipstick when it's cold just not very high up on it. I changed the fluid and both filters. 6 quarts were originally put in it. I checked it and it seemed low so I added another 2 quarts and that's when I could read it on the dipstick. I checked it with the engine up to temp and in neutral which is how you should check it according to the dipstick. Is this wrong? Do you think it's still low? Mopar OEM fluid is in it.