Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Water Leaking from Waterpump...go figure... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/water-leaking-from-waterpump-go-figure-13432.html)

socalwk 09-29-2010 05:49 PM

Water Leaking from Waterpump...go figure...

A few months ago I've noticed that distilled water was leaking from the back of the engine. I just figured it was something from the AC system. Well I finally sourced it and it appears to be coming from the water pump. Does this mean I need to replace the entire pump?

I also have had a slow coolant leak and I'm guessing this has something to do with it.

Would it be a problem to drive around like this for another 2 or 3 weeks? The Coolant level is normal right now.

Joe

Chaoul1 09-29-2010 05:57 PM

Re: Water Leaking from Waterpump...go figure...

Yes, you have to Change the Whole pump. That's they only way to fix it.

What Engine do you have?

I replaced my Waterpump a few months ago. I even did a Coolant Flush and changed the T-Stat.

I recommend buying from one of our vendors if they supply it or you can go with this Link where I purchased my Waterpump.

http://www.moparpartsamerica.com/spl...?siteid=214583

If you are going to do a Coolant Flush I recommend you go with the Factory Coolant. I bought mine for like $13 a Gallon from NAPA. The Coolant is called Zerex G-05. Buy 2 Gallons. And I would also replace the T-stat while you are at it.

socalwk 09-29-2010 06:16 PM

Speaking of Coolant I was at autozone before an off road trip 7 months ago and the guy grabbed a bottle of Dex-Cool. I didn't notice the GM sign until way later...like yesterday. On the back of the bottle it says it meets MS-9769 requirements and specifications....which is the Mopar Coolant. So I assume I am alright since its compatible. May not be top of the line but it appears to be the same.

I did some research and found that there are only minor differences between the two. Engine runs fine and no problems with over heating.

Quote:

It is best to use the Mopar coolant because although the GM/Havoline Dex-Cool orange coolant is very similar, it is not identical. Both the Mopar long-life orange and the Dex-Cool are Ethylene Glycol coolants with an Organic additive package, but the Mopar stuff sneaks in one inorganic aditive as well: silicates. Chrysler engineers think that the Mopar stuff is better than the Dex-Cool or its equivalents. What else would you expect them to say... Be sure to mix the coolant 50/50 with soft water. We were told when the Mopar long life was introduced back in '97 that the additives do not work well with hard water. It's best to use deionized or distilled water.

Chaoul1 09-29-2010 06:56 PM

It's up to you. Heck, it was only $13 per bottle and why not?

socalwk 09-29-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaoul1 (Post 276848)
It's up to you. Heck, it was only $13 per bottle and why not?

I'm gonna change the pump out in a month or so. Then while I'm under I'll flush the coolant and replace it.

I guess there is a difference between "Dex-Cool" and "Dex-Cool Approved" since it hasn't harmed my engine.

But hey, when I flush it out I'll get the mopar stuff.

Chaoul1 09-29-2010 07:44 PM

Becareful! DOn't wait too long!

bluethunderjeep 09-29-2010 10:45 PM

Mine is leaking where the upper rad hose spigot bolts to the water pump. I am going to change the thermostat, as I figure the thermostat gasket is bad.

Dave

socalwk 09-29-2010 11:05 PM

It's time to change it out...after 93,000 miles.

I just read though...my Dex-Cool Tub is compatible with "Hybrid Formualtions including Mopar Hoat"

So I'm thinking it's fine for now.

Chaoul1 09-30-2010 10:49 AM

From what a mechanic told me. He told me when my Waterpump went bad, I also had a leaking Gasket. He told me that if you mix coolant with another coolant or use another coolant or something it can eat the Rubber Gasket. This is for my 5.7L.

And I do remember when I went to Jiffy Lube to get an Oil Change that they added Antifreeze (I don't remember what the name was), but it was green. After that Oil Change I started to experience my Coolant Reservoir Level was getting lower and lower. I can't say it was the Coolant, but that could be a possibility.

Why not go with the Factory Recommended? If you have a NAPA Store around you just go and get it.

DJ BoNiOmArIo 09-30-2010 11:14 AM

it's about time u have to change all that ... it's always good to change the following with such maintenance

- water pump
- belt
- inspect tensioner
- under pulley
- complete coolant flush
- tstat

all these are mostly covered above

lewi3069 10-01-2010 02:39 PM

Yea I had a loud whine under the hood. So I took off my my belt and first my tensioner was stuck (not moving well but moving). Then the water pump pulley was moving up and down on the shaft. I also noticed the tensioner pulley (Grove) and idler pulley(Smooth) were catching a little so replaced those the next day. Sounded like a new engine! But def get that pump replaced

socalwk 11-13-2010 06:38 PM

How do I work around the mechanical fan? Trying to trouble shoot...just drained the coolant.