Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Custom POI Loads for 430N (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/custom-poi-loads-for-430n-13489.html)

Remleym 10-01-2010 12:12 PM

Custom POI Loads for 430N

Has anyone tried loading custom POIs into the Garmn nav in a 430N (RHB) media center? I followed the instructions in the radio book exactly but have had no success. The Garmin POI Loader (from the Garmin web site) works as it is supposed to for creating the poi.gpi file. I know the file is good because I have successfully loaded it into my Garmin nuvi 660. However, when I burn the file to a disc and load it into the 430N in my Grand Cherokee Limited, the disc reads and then the screen displays "PND Updated Failed" and the custom POIs do not load. I have a query into both Garmin and Jeep customer service but no responses yet. Just curious to see if any other owners have tried this.

JoeSchmoe007 10-01-2010 02:12 PM

Re: Custom POI Loads for 430N

Is CD the only way for NAV to import the file? Can you use USB drive or maybe some kind of SD/CF card (not sure if SD or CF card slot is even present in 430N)

Remleym 10-01-2010 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 (Post 277846)
Is CD the only way for NAV to import the file? Can you use USB drive or maybe some kind of SD/CF card (not sure if SD or CF card slot is even present in 430N)

I tried loading the poi file on a USB drive (the 430N has two USB ports) but the system won't recognize the file as anything it can use. Apparently the USB ports are for audio and image files only.

JoeSchmoe007 10-02-2010 09:16 AM

How are you otherwise satisfied with Nav in 430N? How does it compare to nuvi 660?

Jim Hef 10-02-2010 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remleym (Post 277765)
...the disc reads and then the screen displays "PND Updated Failed" and the custom POIs do not load....

Is the radio looking for a specific disc format rather than a just a data disc? Perhaps you need to burn this information in a different manner. I know that disc players normally use an .iso image for updating firmware.

Remleym 10-02-2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Hef (Post 278211)
Is the radio looking for a specific disc format rather than a just a data disc? Perhaps you need to burn this information in a different manner. I know that disc players normally use an .iso image for updating firmware.

I've tried burning to DVD -R, DVD +R, DVDRW, CDR, and in both closed and open session discs. I think I've found that it needs to be a closed session - otherwise it reports an invalid disc. The other (closed session) discs are all read by the 430N drive OK, and it must know there is a certain data file there, but the data file doesn't get used to update the nav. The screen just reports "PND Update Failed." In searching for that phrase on the Internet, the only references I can find have to do with Alpine systems. Since this new Jeep supposedly has a higher end Alpine audio system, maybe the audio is trying to update, and not the nav. I'm still waiting to hear back from both Jeep and Garmin on the problem.

Remleym 10-02-2010 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 (Post 278173)
How are you otherwise satisfied with Nav in 430N? How does it compare to nuvi 660?

So far I'm liking it. Works pretty much just like my nuvi 660. There are some subtle differences but nothing significant. Biggest visible difference is the screen resolution. My nuvi 660 has a smaller screen (4.3") but it is sharp and clear. The Jeep's display is larger at 6.5" but the apparent resolution is worse. It appears that they've just scaled up the standard Garmin display and the screen is doing a lot of pixel interpolation. Just looks fuzzy. It is pretty readable though so I'm OK with it. As far as routing is concerned, I've only hit one difference so far. For some reason this new nav wanted me to take an exit from a major road and then immediately take the entrance right back onto it, rather than just staying on the road. Obviously a dumb routing situation that needed some human judgement to ignore. You just can't follow these things blindly.

TestDummy 10-03-2010 02:16 PM

Same issue for me with an RHB in a 2011 Wrangler. Will post here if I find a solution.

TestDummy 10-05-2010 06:19 PM

Problem Solved!

Contacted Garmin customer support via the web and got a clear and effective response. Even better, the method of uploading uses a USB stick and the port on the front of the unit, which makes way more sense than the method of burning a DVD shown in the manual.

Posted with Garmin's permission:

Dear Ron,
Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I can definitely help you with your question about the Jeep unit. Please use a USB stick and following these directions:

Step 1 - Download a POI database file from the web or create your own
Step 2 Using POI Loader from Garmin (www.garmin.com/products/poiloader) create the POI.gpi file from the database file you have gotten from the web or created
Step 3 Save the POI.gpi file to your computer as a file
Step 4 You will now need a USB Stick to load the custom POI to so that it can be loaded to the vehicle system. Create a folder on a blank USB stick entitled Garmin, example; if your USB Stick is listed as drive D by your computer, then the folder would be D:\Garmin
Step 5 Create a folder within the Garmin folder named Poi, example; if your USB Stick is listed as drive D by your computer, then the folder would be D:\Garmin\Poi
Step 6 Copy the POI.gpi file to the Garmin\Poi folder on the USB Stick, example; if your USB Stick is listed as drive D by your computer, then the file location would be D:\Garmin\Poi\POI.gpi
Step 7 Insert the USB Stick to the radio and the Garmin navigation application will display a message that the custom POIs are ready to be copied, select yes.
Step 8 To view the custom POI list select WhereTo, Extras, Custom POIs and you will see the list.

Worked like a charm for me.

IndyBob 10-05-2010 06:55 PM

Good job TD! I am making a copy of the steps to keep handy.

Remleym 10-06-2010 08:33 AM

I just tried it and this process worked flawlessly! Appreciate someone finding out the info and posting it. I queried both Garmin and Jeep almost two weeks ago and, other than their automated "we'll get right back to you" e-mails I never heard back from either Garmin or Jeep. Thanks!!!!

bozer 10-06-2010 12:43 PM

what are you guys customizing exactly? could you put a special picture for HOME for instance?