Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Mobil1 0w20 in the 5.7L WK?

6K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  lewi3069 
#1 ·
Anybody try running the 0w20 M1 in there 5.7L Hemi? My usual supply shop was all out of the 5w20 yesterday and was running a special on the 0w20 (free M1 filter with 5 qts) so I picked up 7qts for the oil change today. Figure worse thing that can happen is it gives the MDS fits and I have to turn it off for the next 5k miles.

Bottle claims it meets 5w20 OEM requirements and is supposed to give better mileage. Only time will tell .....

#3 ·
Should be fine with MDS...also better in the colder temps.

#4 · (Edited)
You'll be fine with it. I've run it once, but my supplier normally doesn't carry it. I didn't notice any difference. Some folks in the LX (Charger, 300C, Magnum) community say it works even better. Being that your in cold country should also be a plus. Let us know what you think.

#6 ·
When you run a heavier oil than 5W-20 is when there are problems with the MDS. When I bought mine the dealer was proud to announce that he had done me a favor and changed the oil. Only problem is they put 10W-30 in it and the MDS worked like crap, seldom coming on at all. Had I not had another Hemi equipped vehicle, I would have probably just shined it on. After changing to synthetic 5W-20 a week later it started working like the MDS in my other vehicle.

#10 ·
Really it should get to operating lubrication faster since it starts at a closer range than 5w will. If that makes sense...

#9 ·
I took the WK on a 200mi round trip today (mostly highway miles) and didn't really notice any difference in the operation of the MDS. :thumbsup:

#15 ·
Yea... I don't really know what I was getting at... Yesterday I had a slow start lol

#12 ·
for the cooler weather it will be fine Joe. In my XJ, 130K miles all mine. 5/30 tax day to election day. 0/30 election day to tax day.

Our avg low here is already 39. 2-3 weeks and it'll be below freezing. The 0 starts right up in the cold. and I get the /30 for normal operating temps.

the 4.7 Wk get 5/20 and 0/20

Chrysler LOWERED the top number viscosity for the MDS cause the 30 didnt get thin enough and caused flutter of the MDS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.