Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Click Click Truck won't start (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/click-click-truck-wont-start-13532.html)

cain45 10-02-2010 11:16 PM

Click Click Truck won't start

So I go out to get into the Jeep today after it's been sitting overnight and I get a click out of it when trying to start it. I turn it back off and back on and it starts. Now my question is, would it be the battery or the starter? I don't just want to throw money at it trying to fix something. Any help would be appreciated as I want it fixed BEFORE it actually strands me.

DJ BoNiOmArIo 10-03-2010 12:38 AM

Re: Click Click Truck won't start

battery

rvtifer 10-03-2010 02:46 AM

What you describe seems to be similar to what I had. In my case it was the starter and it became worse with time. In my previous ride I had something similar which was several clicks in short succession and that turned out the be the battery contact which was loose. In any case I would get you battery tested before anything else to get that out of the way.

Good luck.

cain45 10-03-2010 11:20 AM

OK thanks guys....I'll test the battery first.

555ctsv 10-03-2010 04:32 PM

If the battery all the sudden had enough juice to crank the motor then i dont think its the battery. Maybe a loose cable on the battery but it seems to be holding a charge. Also when the starters go it seems to be the nut that holds the positive cable on it. When i replaced mine i noticed quite a bit of spots on and around it from the arcing caused from the loose nut

cain45 10-03-2010 05:31 PM

That's what I thought too can't be the battery if it starts the truck. I did check the cables and they are tight.

555ctsv 10-03-2010 05:51 PM

Yea I went down to start mine one day and it just clicked. I tried it again after work and it started right up, so it sat for 10 hours and then all the sudden had enough juice to start it up? I replaced the started the next night and its been fine since. Fortunately the starters are fairly cheap. Install isnt the easiest thing but if you have the time it's worth the savings to do it yourself. I think the starter was about $75? About the same as a battery so not too bad. Good luck with it!

cain45 10-03-2010 06:29 PM

Exactly how hard is it to replace the starter in one with the HEMI? And I wonder what the dealer would charge to just do the labor? I can buy the part with my Chrysler discount pretty cheap.

jeepnjeep 10-03-2010 07:22 PM

I have the 4.7 and the front drive shaft has to be unbolted and moved out of the way. Otherwise straightfoward. Hemi might be different, I don't know.

06HemiLtd 10-04-2010 08:45 AM

i just had my starter replaced on my hemi last month at the dealership. it was 1.5 hours. $107 total. remove skid plates. remove front driveshaft. remove transmission cooler lines. remove starter.

cain45 10-04-2010 10:22 AM

Was that total with parts or just labor?

06HemiLtd 10-04-2010 12:53 PM

just labor. starter was $135 and the shield was around $30. It was like $275 total.