Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   Back-up Camera install (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/back-up-camera-install-1354.html)

Puppetmaster_sr 07-11-2009 04:15 PM

Back-up Camera install

Hey guys, I purchased a backup camera to install onto the WJ. I have a question. I want it to come on when I place the Jeep in reverse but would also like it to come on with the flip of a switch. Is it just a matter of adding a switched 12v source to the same line that connects to the reverse lights?

saleen032 07-11-2009 06:36 PM

Re: Back-up Camera install

Your reverse lights will probably come on when you turn the switch on....might have to wire in some type of relay to stop that

Puppetmaster_sr 07-12-2009 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saleen032 (Post 32009)
Your reverse lights will probably come on when you turn the switch on....might have to wire in some type of relay to stop that

Didn't even think of that,.,thanks

NHWK05 07-12-2009 09:20 AM

If the camera is wired in to turn on with the backup lights then it will function as normal. Then you should be able to wire in an alternate power source with a fuse, relay and switch. But that switch should not have any effect on the reverse lights. You just need to figure out the right place to connect it. prolly between the unit and the connection to the reverse lights.

JeepWK05 07-12-2009 07:14 PM

You can tap into the reverse lights but i simply tapped into my trailing harness on my WK. It works perfect and was a lot easier for me.

saleen032 07-13-2009 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHWK05 (Post 32187)
If the camera is wired in to turn on with the backup lights then it will function as normal. Then you should be able to wire in an alternate power source with a fuse, relay and switch. But that switch should not have any effect on the reverse lights. You just need to figure out the right place to connect it. prolly between the unit and the connection to the reverse lights.

WRONG...most camera get a 12+ signal to turn on. this is connected, most times, to the reverse light wire. If you hook a switch up to feed 12+ v to this wire, it will go to the reverse lights and light them up too.

Puppetmaster_sr 07-13-2009 08:35 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I'll just install it the way it should be. No biggie, just a thought if it could be done.

I'll probably tap into my trailer light connections as well. Just gotta figure out which one is the reverse wire.

Off to WJJEEPS I go.,.,.,

JeepWK05 07-13-2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster_sr (Post 32598)
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I'll just install it the way it should be. No biggie, just a thought if it could be done.

I'll probably tap into my trailer light connections as well. Just gotta figure out which one is the reverse wire.

Off to WJJEEPS I go.,.,.,

My plug has a diagram on it, yours might be the same.

I believe i tapped into "BACK-UP LAMPS".

NHWK05 07-13-2009 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saleen032 (Post 32585)
WRONG...most camera get a 12+ signal to turn on. this is connected, most times, to the reverse light wire. If you hook a switch up to feed 12+ v to this wire, it will go to the reverse lights and light them up too.

Well, I learned something.

Nand12 07-14-2009 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saleen032 (Post 32585)
If you hook a switch up to feed 12+ v to this wire, it will go to the reverse lights and light them up too.

You can avoid this by adding a diode inline with the 12V feed. A diode is essentially equivalent to a check valve (i.e. only allows current to flow in one direction). You can pick up a pair of N4001 diodes (the best for automotive electrical applications) at radioshack for .99 (make sure the end of the diode with the stripe is facing TOWARDS the camera side of the 12V feed).

saleen032 07-14-2009 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nand12 (Post 32989)
You can avoid this by adding a diode inline with the 12V feed. A diode is essentially equivalent to a check valve (i.e. only allows current to flow in one direction). You can pick up a pair of N4001 diodes (the best for automotive electrical applications) at radioshack for .99 (make sure the end of the diode with the stripe is facing TOWARDS the camera side of the 12V feed).

Just make sure the diodes can handle the current draw of the lights..alot of diodes are for low current circuit boards