Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   REC Navigation won't accept cd's (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/rec-navigation-wont-accept-cds-13561.html)

boss_hemi 10-03-2010 07:46 PM

REC Navigation won't accept cd's

my 2005 GC Limited has the REC Navigation System with the 6 disc changer, and a little while ago it just quit accepting cd's :(. am i screwed or can it be fixed? i don't wanna buy a used one off ebay for $600 lol

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-03-2010 09:03 PM

Re: REC Navigation won't accept cd's

try unplugging it for a few minutes

06HemiLtd 10-04-2010 08:37 AM

the cd's changers are known to be junk in the rec nav units. mine doesn't work either. my display says disc error. i just use my ipod touch or listen to satellite radio

boss_hemi 10-04-2010 11:14 AM

well that sucks, i didn't know if it was repairable or not. i've been playing cd's through the VES and it works great i just don't like breaking my back to change discs lol. i tried unplugging it and it still said disc error. does your jeep have built in satellite radio or did you have to buy everything with the separate unit that goes on your dash?

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-04-2010 12:51 PM

their are companies on ebay that repair them. search rec repair i think.

06HemiLtd 10-04-2010 12:57 PM

i originally had an RAQ radio with satellite and replaced it with the REC Nav unit. i bought it off ebay with no returns. the disc error was on the screen when i first turned it on. seller never said anything about it. the REC had the satellite on it already too. i had to call sirius and give them the REC's id number. on a side note, MR.cd1 is who repairs the REC units but he told me it would be around $250. i think there is a place called denver radio but it's close to the same price. i've read that others have changed out the disc changer from an RAQ to the REC too.

boss_hemi 10-04-2010 09:13 PM

very helpful info thanks a lot. $250 sounds better than $600 to buy a used one with no guarantees that it doesn't have the same problem... or $1,800 for a new one lol. I've looked at aftermarket such as alpine and kenwood but idt u can beat the factory look and quality

bulldogger 11-06-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boss_hemi (Post 279386)
I've looked at aftermarket such as alpine and kenwood but idt u can beat the factory look and quality

I believe the REC is made by Alpine.

SvenskaJeepGuy 11-06-2010 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulldogger (Post 297098)
I believe the REC is made by Alpine.

yes it is

boss_hemi 11-06-2010 03:10 PM

well yeah i just meant for a replacement nav unit.. but for some reason the other day it started accepting the cd's again lol. im not gonna complain