Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Body shake (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/body-shake-13562.html)

wkthursty 10-03-2010 09:11 PM

Body shake

I have had this problem since i bought my GC used at 62,000miles and it is now 72,000miles. Anytime i am driving highway at 62 to 64 my GC shakes like my wheels are unbalanced and it is gone before and after 62 to 64 even at 80 it is not shaking. It is just the weirdest thing. i have had them rebalanced twice and my alignment is fine. the shaking seemslike it is a body shake and minimal in the steering wheel so it leads me to think it is my rears that are unbalanced. IF anyone has any inside information to help me out please by all means help.

Chaoul1 10-03-2010 09:57 PM

Re: Body shake

I think you may have the Infamous "Death Wobble" It is what you just explained. Might just be your Wheels. I don't know much about "Death Wobble" Becareful though!

GR33N D3M0N 10-03-2010 09:59 PM

i have it between 78~85...it sucks, i got semi used to it..

Marlin 10-03-2010 10:17 PM

Nah, not at all normal! It's not "death wobble" either, thats on WJ/WG's that are lifted.

Sounds like one of two things;

The rear wheel balance, ask them to deflate the tires, turn on the rim 180 degrees, and re-balance.

OR;

Unbolt the tailshaft from the diff and turn it 180 degrees, then bolt up again.

Do in either order..... one at a time!

wkthursty 10-04-2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlin (Post 278792)
Nah, not at all normal! It's not "death wobble" either, thats on WJ/WG's that are lifted.

Sounds like one of two things;

The rear wheel balance, ask them to deflate the tires, turn on the rim 180 degrees, and re-balance.

OR;

Unbolt the tailshaft from the diff and turn it 180 degrees, then bolt up again.

Do in either order..... one at a time!

what do you mean by tailshaft?? just so we are on the same page.

Marlin 10-05-2010 05:50 PM

The rear tailshaft.... runs from the gearbox to the front of the rear diff. You might call it a "propshaft".

Joe in PA 10-05-2010 06:15 PM

Here in the USA we generally call it a driveshaft. ;)

The real death wobble is only related to a live front axle set up with an inverted Y steering set up like on the XJ, ZJ, WJ and a number of the wranglers. Simply not an issue with the *** of the WK. I also have a vibration in the 70 to 75 range with my 07 WK that simply won't go away regardless of balancing or rotating the tires, new tires or alignments. It's really not bad enough for me to start missing around with the driveshaft or joints but it is something I'll be keeping an eye/feel on as the miles add up.

wkthursty 10-11-2010 09:36 AM

well my 05 laredo has 72XXX miles on it and i dont know how long this has been happening for. i bought it as 62XXX. Just curious who else was having this problem because i have had my wheels balanced and didnt help.

ballajim 10-11-2010 09:44 AM

if it was death wobble, he wouldn't have called it "unbalanced". my xj had that before i got a front end alignment and every time it happened I was thankfull to make it out alive

DJ BoNiOmArIo 10-11-2010 12:27 PM

I've lived through a similar experience and only two things come to mind after Benno's suggestions ...

1 - Sway bar bushings

2 - Track bar or also called stabilizer bar it's a long bar that sits slanted in the rear

wkthursty 10-12-2010 02:23 PM

its more in the body then the steering wheel. which lead my thoughts to be the rear wheels.

DJ BoNiOmArIo 10-12-2010 02:31 PM

mine felt the same way too it was more body than steering wheel