Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   Is this turbo set-up junk?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/is-this-turbo-set-up-junk-1370.html)

BUBBADOG 07-12-2009 07:12 PM

Is this turbo set-up junk??

What do u guys think??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...link:middle:us

dreamer1213 07-12-2009 07:14 PM

Re: Is this turbo set-up junk??

Don't you already have the supercharger in your garage Bub? LOL!

Marlin 07-12-2009 07:28 PM

Looks to be China stuff mate. Some things are mostly AOK to use (like intercoolers etc), but be wary of turbos. They are typically unbalanced, poorly machined, and can create a disaster. I do however know of guys who have purchased them, sent them directly to a turbo rebuilder and had them balanced etc, and they've beeen ok.

scjeep4.7HO 07-12-2009 08:08 PM

It looks ok, But I would warn............ You get what you pay for a majority of the time.

05wkguy 07-15-2009 01:39 AM

Yeah the piping,flanges,intercooler,etc look OK,not great but ok. I'd be wary of the turbo itself. Perhaps they'd sell you the kit,minus the turbo,then go grab a MasterPower turbo,if you're on a budget. Or a nice Turbonetics if you're not,lol.

What tips me off about the turbo itself,it says 50-100 hp at 8 psi,and 485 at 25 psi. That tells me that it's very inefficient,especially at higher boost levels and looking at the ar ratios makes me think it's possibly a small take off turbo from a 4 cyl car.

NHWK05 07-15-2009 07:26 AM

When it comes to your engine and putting a mod on it thats supposed to get you high horse power and be reliable i would not cheap out. Spend the money for decent non china quality parts.

Harrison@Stage6 07-15-2009 11:49 AM

What year Jeep is it for?

Marlin 07-15-2009 05:57 PM

Bubba.... just so you know, I run China front mount intercooler and aluminium pipework on my race car, which has to run for 6 days absolutely flat out. I've tested it for flow and cooling ability and it's fine. The China parts that concern me are the parts with moving parts, like turbos. remember turbos can spin at upwards of 200,000rpm, so they gotta be good parts, and balanced!

BUBBADOG 07-15-2009 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlin (Post 33780)
Bubba.... just so you know, I run China front mount intercooler and aluminium pipework on my race car, which has to run for 6 days absolutely flat out. I've tested it for flow and cooling ability and it's fine. The China parts that concern me are the parts with moving parts, like turbos. remember turbos can spin at upwards of 200,000rpm, so they gotta be good parts, and balanced!

Man i was pissed the other night when my truck lost almost .8 off on the 1/4 mile was running like chit..But thank god for MARTIN SAINE he stayed up late pull my old tranny apart when i sent him my core back,,,,,Man he sent me like 15 pictures of the problem broke down everything long story short my TORQUE CONVERTER is going bad so theres my problem right there...Ordered me a new BILLET 3,000 from him Can u say 13.5-13.6 here i come again thank god...u should of seen the look on my face when a 14.53 poped up after my first run the other night lol

Robert Palmer 07-15-2009 08:34 PM

I can say 13.5 and 13.6 although my 5.7 can't beat it, a SRT8 will. :D

BUBBADOG 07-16-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvis Presley (Post 33904)
I can say 13.5 and 13.6 although my 5.7 can't beat it, a SRT8 will. :D

Bro i got much respect for a SRT8 all i wanted to do was dial my motor and trans set-up to 13.5 put my new cooling system in and then my powerdyne with 8-9psi is going on so i can become a member of the 12 second club thats it...

Scottina06 07-16-2009 02:45 PM

LOL....my pretty much stock(ermmm...LOL)4.7 ran a 14.6 according to superchips the other night. No idea how reliable/accurate the superchips is...but i was proud. That was without the 08 intake mani........