Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   I hate my Jeep. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/i-hate-my-jeep-13771.html)

DavidESchiller 10-09-2010 10:35 AM

I hate my Jeep.

two days after I bought my Jeep, the front differential locked up and the whole front axle was rebuilt. I personally watched all of the work done by a local mechanic to the tune of $900. everything was done 100% correctly.

well yesterday I was sitting at a stop sign, went to turn left and pop klunk klunk BOOM. I called the mechanic who fixed it, and he said he would go through and take another stab at it but wouldn't be able to until early-mid next week, and I need something to drive until then. so, out comes the front drive shaft.

I was driving it home from the shop and went to pass another vehicle. I let off the gas as I got back into my lane, it upshifted and then POP. all of a sudden it feels like it has absolutely NO power. I pull over and I get underneath it, there is no oil coming out anywhere, I check the dipstick and it's good. I pull off the plastic engine cover and there is no oil anywhere but it sure feels like it pooped out a gasket. I reset my MPG calculator and watched all the way home going between 60 and 45 and it never got above 10mpg. there are absolutely no unusual noises to be heard either. drained out the oil when I got home with only 1500 miles on the change and it looked perfectly clear with nothing in it. any thoughts? time to push it off a cliff perhaps? http://jeepgarage.org/images/icons/icon8.gif

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-09-2010 10:53 AM

Re: I hate my Jeep.

didnt you have someone look it over before buying a used vehicle? it is a 6 year old vehicle, why didnt you buy a warranty? basic poswertrain warranty would have covered all of your problems for $100 deductable

blackpepper 10-09-2010 11:18 AM

check the front differential bushing.. it's a $30 part but a $500 job. Maybe it got to the point where it broke. My bushing went bad and I was getting that clunking from the front, I thought it was the transmission but my dealer said it was the bushing. I called BS but it fixed the problem.

Boniomario Reloaded 10-09-2010 11:18 AM

I feel your pain mine is the same way also ... i'm assuming it's 4x4 just take off the front drive shaft and drive around like that plus you'll get more MPG

DavidESchiller 10-09-2010 12:03 PM

no warranty was offered on it because it has about 100k. the diff bushing was replaced when the rest of the axle was done. although I'm pissed about the axle, that isn't my concern because I atleast know what the problem is there. I'm just bugging out about the power loss because the fact that it still has good compression and no oil loss is just blowing my ****ing mind...

gc4x4 10-09-2010 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidESchiller (Post 281762)
no warranty was offered on it because it has about 100k. the diff bushing was replaced when the rest of the axle was done. although I'm pissed about the axle, that isn't my concern because I atleast know what the problem is there. I'm just bugging out about the power loss because the fact that it still has good compression and no oil loss is just blowing my ****ing mind...

Do you have a check engine light on? How is your air filter, plugs,catalytic converter etc..? It could be the bad axle dragging down the engine, thus the drop in power.

DavidESchiller 10-09-2010 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gc4x4 (Post 281849)
Do you have a check engine light on? How is your air filter, plugs,catalytic converter etc..? It could be the bad axle dragging down the engine, thus the drop in power.

the 4wd system error light came on for like a minute after the driveshaft was out but I haven't seen it since then. the air filter was just cleaned and the plugs were new less than 2,000 miles ago. and the front driveshaft was out of it when it started acting up so badly. I guess if there's an easy way to get the exhaust off, I can check that to see if it's causing problems. can't hurt to try.