Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   3.7L Performance chip (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/3-7l-performance-chip-13781.html)

JTK1130 10-09-2010 04:02 PM

3.7L Performance chip

hey all,

Anyone here use a Jet chip or something similiar to a bully dog programmer for a 3.7L? I'm wondering what success you may or may not have had with one...

Chaoul1 10-09-2010 06:21 PM

Re: 3.7L Performance chip

Don't buy one. Period. I have heard that they do increase gas just a little bit. But I would go with a Real Tuner like MHP.

Scottina06 10-09-2010 10:45 PM

there are no tuners for the 3.7. Your best bet is gonna be a reprogrammed PCM. I always heard the pcm relearns stock config when a jet chip is installed.....therefore nullifying the jet chip. I do believe you can have your TCM reprogrammed....

AIR_RAM 10-16-2010 12:11 AM

The Power Wire would work well on your 3.7L.. its worth approximately 8-10RWHP...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

WSP Jeep 10-16-2010 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIR_RAM (Post 285582)
The Power Wire would work well on your 3.7L.. its worth approximately 8-10RWHP...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

HA 8-10 rwhp ya right, I have had the power wire on my 3.7 and yes I did notice a little power increase, but It was probably just my mind playing tricks on me, its worth it though just for the increase in mpg's though.

Nouveau Redneck 03-01-2011 11:28 AM

The Jet chip worked wonders for my wife's 2008 Liberty. It has quicker response when you step on the throttle, and it has much better shift points too. It also down shifts quicker when you go to pass on the highway.

That Liberty was terrible when you tried to pass on the highway when it was stock. it would take forever after you stomped on the gas pedal before it would finally down shift, and by then it would decide that it needed to downshift 2 or 3 gears and then it would almost red line the engine and still wouldn't have enough power to pass. With the Jet chip, the difference is like night and day.

lll2for3lll 03-01-2011 11:57 AM

ProComp make a tuner that reprograms the PCM. It's not advertised to do so but I will reprogram the PCM for any size tire and fix shift points.

Contact Nick: kolak@aol.com

Just tell him you have a 3.7 and he will send you exactly what you need. It's like $200. Worth it though.

iJeep 03-01-2011 12:06 PM

Sounds good.

lll2for3lll 03-01-2011 12:09 PM

I haven't used it yet but I know somebody that has. I will purchase one after my lift and tires get installed this Friday. And after I buy PIAA 510's, rotors, and brakes.

Edit: Also, Dan Fastman makes custom bigger throttle bodies for our 3.7 engines. Several people have them. There are a lot of performance mods for the 3.7 engine. More than most think.

The Fastman TB is on my list too.

soontobesrt 03-01-2011 07:49 PM

Talk to Dave over at B&G they do legit PCM/TCM stuff for the 3.7 and many other platforms. ONLY option for LEGIT gains on a 3.7 but all in all, the motor isn't worth modding plain and simple haha, messed with it time and time again, its a 3.7 built for a mix of economy and utlity and thats it! Save up for some interior/exterior stuff, you wont regret it :)

link: http://www.bgperformancepcm.com

Knightrider03m 03-01-2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 281980)
there are no tuners for the 3.7. Your best bet is gonna be a reprogrammed PCM. I always heard the pcm relearns stock config when a jet chip is installed.....therefore nullifying the jet chip. I do believe you can have your TCM reprogrammed....

Didn't that place in Warren, MI (forgot the name) had tuners for 3.7L?

On another site, I think I read something about Jet chips blowing 3.7L engines.... at least for the Liberties. Can't really imagine that the engine programing is that different on the WKs vs the KJ/KKs.

FlyinRyan 03-01-2011 08:46 PM

SCT can tune certain PCMs, but not all. I would not use a PCM flash over a flashable tune like SCT, but hey, what do I know...

I offer bored/ported throttle bodies for all 3.7s. I can also do other forms of porting upon client request....The 3.7 responds very well to TB modification.