Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f198/)
-   -   Eibach springs + what shock? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f198/eibach-springs-what-shock-13805.html)

dhillon09 10-10-2010 04:16 AM

Eibach springs + what shock?

I picked up some barely used eibachs

What's a good set of shocks to pair with this? Any input anyone? I want something thats the best price/performance, but if I gotta spend a little more to get more performance I'm all for that. I want good handling (well, better).

I also plan to pick up the addco rear swaybar, but is the front really that big of a difference? Is the front worth the money?

Also, my steering stabilizer looks like crap. Would replacing it give me any more of a firm steering wheel and less play?

Thanks for the input guys!

BLACK DOG 10-10-2010 06:23 AM

Re: Eibach springs + what shock?

hey neighbour, I guess you didn't have the SRT haha,,,I'm working on something similar...On your earlier model GC you probably have the Eibach sport springs they should take it down an inch maybe 1.5. I'm going with the SRT stuff, but you don't have that option. I'm also using WK Bilsteins which may be a good choice for you (you may have more options...WK only has 2 oem and 2 aftermarket shocks to choose from)
You steering stab.looks like crap? if it's leaking it needs replacing,otherwise you may have other problems. Im sure there is a HD model for off road that might make it feel stiffer,but a stabilizer is only a shock absorber and the stiffness of the steering should not be affected by it. I would look at bushings and ball joints.
Sways will make a big difference in reducing body roll, Addco seems a popular brand... you will also need bigger bushings to accommodate the larger bar.
the front will also make a difference and I think it's worth it, with springs shocks and rear sway there is only 1 major component missing, sorta kills the balance.

dhillon09 10-11-2010 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACK DOG (Post 282083)
hey neighbour, I guess you didn't have the SRT haha,,,I'm working on something similar...On your earlier model GC you probably have the Eibach sport springs they should take it down an inch maybe 1.5. I'm going with the SRT stuff, but you don't have that option. I'm also using WK Bilsteins which may be a good choice for you (you may have more options...WK only has 2 oem and 2 aftermarket shocks to choose from)
You steering stab.looks like crap? if it's leaking it needs replacing,otherwise you may have other problems. Im sure there is a HD model for off road that might make it feel stiffer,but a stabilizer is only a shock absorber and the stiffness of the steering should not be affected by it. I would look at bushings and ball joints.
Sways will make a big difference in reducing body roll, Addco seems a popular brand... you will also need bigger bushings to accommodate the larger bar.
the front will also make a difference and I think it's worth it, with springs shocks and rear sway there is only 1 major component missing, sorta kills the balance.

I hear ya. I'm going to pickup some shocks asap, the springs on my WJ right now are shot to hell and the floaty feeling in the butt needs a remedy asap (that'll be fixed by addco, though). Ontop of that both rear shocks have a massive crack in the plastic casing, so maybe that's why my truck rides like crap lately?

By the way, I'm always in that neighbourhood where you did your trucks mini photoshoot in burnaby. I work weekends at one of those stores :D

BLACK DOG 10-11-2010 03:42 AM

I get by there once in a while to CTC and took the dog to the bottom of byrne to walk by the river I live in new west. which store? must be 50 in there haha.
Have you seen Scottina06 suspension thread? mostly about WK but a good start for info.

dhillon09 10-11-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACK DOG (Post 282567)
I get by there once in a while to CTC and took the dog to the bottom of byrne to walk by the river I live in new west. which store? must be 50 in there haha.
Have you seen Scottina06 suspension thread? mostly about WK but a good start for info.

It's a sports equipment related store :p Its a big chain store but its relatively new to that area so not many people even know it exists.

BLACK DOG 10-11-2010 02:08 PM

Cool I may drop in and check it out. how did you make out with the vinyl project...I like that concept like an armour coat for your paint.

dhillon09 10-11-2010 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACK DOG (Post 282844)
Cool I may drop in and check it out. how did you make out with the vinyl project...I like that concept like an armour coat for your paint.

I didn't do it, it would be way too expensive to do myself. I bought a porter cable 7424xp instead, that should hold me over until the vinyl bug strikes again.

BLACK DOG 10-11-2010 03:03 PM

HaHaHa,I just got a Flex Kit from DI. I would like to vinyl my hood flat black...gotta head to the club Neke and I have a competition on the 22nd. gotta practice...later Bob

ChrisWk 10-11-2010 03:29 PM

I got eibach springs with my factory shocks, rides just like stock just lowered. If you had your factory shocks for a long time then upgrade to the bilstent.

Chris

dhillon09 10-11-2010 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisWk (Post 282885)
I got eibach springs with my factory shocks, rides just like stock just lowered. If you had your factory shocks for a long time then upgrade to the bilstent.

Chris

What size billstein should I get? Will the ones for my stock ride height be ok with a 1-2 inch drop?

Also, I will be running my stock springs in winter for the extra inch or so of ground clearance. So it will be ok if I use the billsteins designed for a stock WJ suspension? Are there different product lines of billsteins or any billstein shock will do? Thank you.

DJ BoNiOmArIo 10-11-2010 05:18 PM

I am not sure about the WJ I think there's only 1 type of bilsteins for it IIRC

BLACK DOG 10-11-2010 06:59 PM

you have a bigger list to choose from....Konis are expensive, but adjustable twin tube, I prob. whould have chosen them if they were available for the WK
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/S...lar=&brand=all
the Bilsteins will work with both sets of springs as well for about 1/2 the cost.
for the amount of snow we get on the coast I wouldn't bother swapping springs for only 1" or even 2" extra clearance (unless you plan on going to whistler or up the coke in a blizzard :lol: ) If you must have clearance use a spacer or taller mud/snow tire