Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   vari lock axle swap (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/vari-lock-axle-swap-13812.html)

kevinswj 10-10-2010 01:07 PM

vari lock axle swap

Does anyone have any experience swapping from non to vari lock axles on a WJ is it a bolt on thing ie suspension brackets in the same location. My skill level ends with my socket set and BFH.

Trying to make my Quadra Trac II to a Quadra Drive

Frango100 10-10-2010 10:21 PM

Re: vari lock axle swap

No experience with this swap, but as far as i know, the only difference is the differential case, inside the differential, which has the Vari-lok assy in it.

cheapjeep 10-11-2010 12:28 AM

Looking at both of our wj's(one vari-lock and one not)they should bolt right up.Like Frank said, everything for the system is in the dif and is hydraulic and not electric so there's nothing more to hook up

kevinswj 10-12-2010 05:22 AM

Thanks I thought they were the same I just wanted to make sure. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress. What's a good price for a used axle at the wreckers anyway. I just don't want to get ripped off. I found front and rear vari lock axles for $800 Canadian. My brother in law said that sounded high?? I thought that was reasonable considering two new axle shafts for the rear are over $500 each new. At napa???

RedRocker 10-12-2010 07:14 AM

What are you trying to fix by swapping in varilocs?

kevinswj 10-12-2010 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRocker (Post 283208)
What are you trying to fix by swapping in varilocs?

Need new axle shafts rear and new cv joint front. Also want some form of locker or limited slip. Thought this would be a low cost option to solve all my problems. Only plan on doing light trails small lift 32" tires. I got a recip saw for my birthday and it's hungry....

RedRocker 10-12-2010 08:39 AM

The reason I ask is because Varilocs don't do well when you stick larger tires on. 32" is on the edge - they may not lock as desired with that size tire.

kevinswj 10-12-2010 09:49 AM

It would be nice if someone would come up with a upgrade for it, ie more or tougher disks maybe a thicker fluid, maybe a pump upgrade to increase pressure. There must be a way. Maybe I should stick with 30" tires. That would save me trying to hide the carnage of the all mighty saws all. I'll have to look into it but thanks for the warning.

RedRocker 10-12-2010 09:53 AM

I say go with some JK Rubi axles - decent strength and electric lockers. But that is a bit of money and work.

kevinswj 10-12-2010 11:23 AM

Way out of my budget and skill level. If I new how to weld and had a couple thousand to spend I would love to do that.

cheapjeep 10-12-2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRocker (Post 283242)
The reason I ask is because Varilocs don't do well when you stick larger tires on. 32" is on the edge - they may not lock as desired with that size tire.

Hey Kev,
The front variloc would be a Dana 30 and the rear variloc is always a 44
shouldnt make a difference though 'cept maybe the driveshaft Check that when you get them.Also make sure they are from the same Jeep or if not
that the gear ratio is the same.I agree with those guys on your post that
32s are a little big to swing on them not from a strength standpoint but
because they work on speed differences between the 2 sides and 2 big
a tire can really screw with how they're designed 2 work. Stick with a 31
equivalent and I think youll be fine.Remember its a 4.0 not a diesel:lol:
Also try to stay around 3" of lift Any more and you have a bunch of other issues you have to deal with.
Keep me posted,
Dave

kevinswj 10-12-2010 06:56 PM

Thanks that's what I was thinking I was having no luck finding a vari-lock 35 makes sence if it doesn't exist.
Ya am a little worried about the drive I should be safe because I have the 247 tc if I had select trac I might have needed a custom shaft.
With my incredibly small budget I'll be lucky to end up with a 2.5" lift and 30" tires anyway. Time will tell.