Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

weak airflow from heater and A/C

34K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  T-rent 
#1 · (Edited)
First, let me say thanks to anyone who can help me with this fustrating issue. This is a 2002 Grand Cherokee with AZC. Blower motor is working fine, but there is some form of restriction before A/C air or heated come out of any modes very weak (vent, defrost, floor or any combination). Blend doors seem to be operating properly, temp control is controlable. Fault codes of #22-Left temp doortravels too large. And fault code #46-AI (Recirc) motor was not responding.
Thanks

#2 ·
Looks that the recirculation door is somewhere stuck halfway. Do you hear anything moving when you select/deselect the recirculation button?
Maybe disconnecting/connecting the battery for some minutes will clear the fault.

Reactions: Linda’s Jeep
#3 ·
After removing the glove compartment, I can see that the recirculation door is moving from the "fresh air opening to the recycled air opening" so I assume it is doing its thing? I have also tried re setting the system by disconnecting the battery for 5 min.

#4 ·
Can you see the door moving, or do you see the actuator motor rotating?
Just checked with my car, but there is not a lot of difference in the airflow when the door is moving and just a little bit less airflow when the door is in full recirculation position.
You can hear the blower working, but maybe there is some damage on the blower wheel? You can remove the blower motor easily by removing the 3 T-25 Torx screws.

#7 ·
I have never seen the HVAC housing open, so can not answer your question.
Just an other question from my side, did this problem just started from one day to another? Heard about low airflow problems before, after changing the blower motor resistor/controller. In that case some wires where swapped, causing the blower to rotate the wrong direction.

#9 ·
But the question was, did this problem just started from one day to the other? The fan can spin a lot, but when it spins into the wrong direction, it will blow a little air only.

#11 ·
Maybe the blower motor controller was replaced before and not connected in the right way. The blower motor connector is also many times a problem, because it melts due to overheating. Can be that a new connector was wrongly connected.

#15 ·
Frango, you are a genius! After looking around for answers for DAYS and struggling with poor airflow, I read this and quickly reversed the wires on the harness - I have tons of airflow now! Thanks a million!
Welcome to the garage and good to hear it was usefull for you as well. Seems that the wire colour of the new harness is different, isn't it?

#16 ·
Thanks Frank,

Actually I bought this grand cherokee used and the wiring harness was taped from one end to the other. All it took was to reterminate the end, by taking both spade ends out and switching them around.

I couldn't believe the difference when I fired it back up. You made my day.

Now I just need to research replacing the rear wheel bearings and this machine should be in really good shape!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.