Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   Burning Smell Coming From My Jeep (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/burning-smell-coming-from-my-jeep-13826.html)

Chaoul1 10-10-2010 08:31 PM

Burning Smell Coming From My Jeep

This is really weird and wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem

For past 2 weeks or so every time I punch or gradually accelerate my Jeep to around a 70-80MPH or rarely driving in stick mode (shifting and driving above 4000 RPM's for a period of time) then when I slow down and come to a stop or while i'm driving, I can smell a burning rubber like smell coming out of my AC, or could be from somewhere else? I don't Redline the RPM's BTW unless it's in automatic!

I do have 125,800 miles.

I checked my Tranny Fluid and it's clean, but I maybe wrong. I smelled it too and it didn't smell like it was burned. I'm thinking it's either time to change the fluid or it's leaking onto my exhaust somewhere or something!

Thank You!

Robert Palmer 10-10-2010 08:36 PM

Re: Burning Smell Coming From My Jeep

See I have that with the 6.1. And have had that since day 1. But even when I beat the shit out of my 5.7 when I had it, I never had that smell.

Chaoul1 10-10-2010 08:47 PM

Weird. I'm going to Change the Fluid. I heard from people it's not worth doing a Tranny Flush because it can cause something to happen?

4x4Street 10-10-2010 09:37 PM

The transmission fluid level is very critical on these vehicles. Even a quarter quart over full will cause the fluid to blow out of the transmission and it usually hits the exhaust pipe. That why they eliminated the dip sticks on some of the tranny's. So make sure you check the fluid hot and in neutral. If it's ok you may have some other leak. As far as a tranny flush, don't due it! It's a waste of money and may cause other problems.

StoneCold 10-11-2010 05:47 AM

I seem to remember being told that the problem with tranny flushes is that the machine tends to see the worst of the worst, so there can be all kinds of crap in it, that can end up in your transmission.

I believe there is a DIY way of doing it.

Chaoul1 10-11-2010 09:24 AM

I will check the Fluid again with the Engine Warmed up and placed in Neutral.

parry69 10-11-2010 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Palmer (Post 282398)
See I have that with the 6.1. And have had that since day 1. But even when I beat the shit out of my 5.7 when I had it, I never had that smell.

i have to agree. i thought it was weird initially, but every since i bought this truck i get the occasional burning smell. usually when i turn on the heat or defrost, or when i hit the gas hard.

i can live with it though.

speed"n"jeep05 10-11-2010 04:10 PM

i get it in mine too but its only when you punch it and hold to get up to speed!!!!

Chaoul1 10-11-2010 07:49 PM

I'm just going to check on be on the safe side. Tomorrow morning I will check whats up.