Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Is Sirius radio bi-directional? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/is-sirius-radio-bi-directional-13844.html)

JoeSchmoe007 10-11-2010 10:18 AM

Is Sirius radio bi-directional?

Does Sirius radio "call home"? I couldn't find any information on this.

I would imagine it has to because otherwise how can it provide location-aware services like Travel Link? I guess alternative is to push data for the whole country to each receiver and then just filter it by the ZIP code that driver would enter but this seems wasteful.

robpp 10-11-2010 10:39 AM

Re: Is Sirius radio bi-directional?

each device has an ID. if i give them that ID they can send me a signal.

JoeSchmoe007 10-11-2010 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 282706)
each device has an ID. if i give them that ID they can send me a signal.

Do you mean they send dedicated stream to each radio unit? I find it difficult to believe. From reading on the subj my understanding that "radio stations" portion is one-directional and works like this: everybody receives all the channels. In addition special service signal is broadcast that includes unique information for all devices (subscription active/inactive; if active - what package is authorized). Each device receives complete service signal but only applies settings for it's own ID. This is why (I think) even after you subscription expires your radio still works for some time - because they don't push subscriber info out every day for every device.

The above is my understanding on how it works. I never really had Sirius radio before.

robpp 10-11-2010 11:02 AM

its a one time deal joe. not a constant two way. its done to establish the permission. after that the box in the vehicle connects to the sat. until they send another signal saying to stop.

Technosavant 10-11-2010 11:05 AM

The service itself is not bi-directional. The radio ID is used to activate the radios- there's a portion of bandwidth set aside for messages to specific receivers (it's invisible to the user), just like with DirecTV. It will authorize the individual receiver to play the service.

I expect the travel link makes use of an additional data modem- essentially a cell phone without a voice capability.

JoeSchmoe007 10-11-2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 282724)
its a one time deal joe. not a constant two way. its done to establish the permission. after that the box in the vehicle connects to the sat. until they send another signal saying to stop.

Yeah, this is what I thought. For "radio" portion I think it is actually never 2-way. It's just Travel Link got me wondering.