Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   high pitch noise, losing coolant 2004 Laredo (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/high-pitch-noise-losing-coolant-2004-laredo-1385.html)

Perfectbackstage 07-13-2009 01:06 PM

high pitch noise, losing coolant 2004 Laredo

I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 I6 that i bought about a year ago, it has been making a strange sound sometimes when i lift of the gas pedal. Its a high pitched whining sound that will stop as soon as i step on the gas again, i have asked mechanics about it but since it doesnt do it all the time and i can never really show them and they have no idea what the problem is.
Also in a possibly related problem, i have been losing lots of coolant randomly, it will keep a full reservoir for a long time then in very short time it will suddenly be below the fill mark.

any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated for i love my jeep like a family member and dont want it to hurt anymore lol

Dylans3960ccs 07-13-2009 01:10 PM

Re: high pitch noise, losing coolant 2004 Laredo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectbackstage (Post 32719)
I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 I6 that i bought about a year ago, it has been making a strange sound sometimes when i lift of the gas pedal. Its a high pitched whining sound that will stop as soon as i step on the gas again, i have asked mechanics about it but since it doesnt do it all the time and i can never really show them and they have no idea what the problem is.
Also in a possibly related problem, i have been losing lots of coolant randomly, it will keep a full reservoir for a long time then in very short time it will suddenly be below the fill mark.

any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated for i love my jeep like a family member and dont want it to hurt anymore lol

I think that all of them make that noise,so it's not a problem. As for the coolant you might want to replace of the hoses for leaks, and my knowdege ends there.

Oh ,and Welcome to JG!

LO.7 07-13-2009 01:14 PM

Sounds like it could be your differentials making that high pitched noise.

Dylans3960ccs 07-13-2009 01:14 PM

probably is.

saleen032 07-13-2009 02:03 PM

+1 on the differentials. Especially since it only does it under coasting conditions... As afr as the coolant, do you see signs of leaks? Anypuddles under the truck after it sits for a bit? Check your oil...Does it look normal or does it look like a milk shake? If it looks like a milk shake, then you could have a head gasket problem....OR it could be going out the exhaust...also a head gasket problem...

Nand12 07-13-2009 02:30 PM

+2 on the whining noise coming from one or both differentials (most likely the rear differential)...you can either live with it or rebuild the differential (since it's likely that you have the 7/70 powertrain warranty, make the dealer rebuild it so all you're out of is a $100 deductible). Like the above posts have said, the coolant leak could be coming from anywhere so you need to start poking around the engine compartment (and under it) to see if you can spot it. Do you notice a sweet smelling mist residue on your windshield? Also, does your exhaust smell slightly sweet? Post back with what you find and we can start narrowing down the possibilities.

Perfectbackstage 07-13-2009 03:24 PM

Thanks for all the input so far guys

ill definitely look into the differentials because now that you guys mention that it makes a lot of sense

as for the coolant, i dont ever see any of it leaking beneath the car and my oil is good and clean, ill have to look closer at the hoses it goes through i guess

robpp 07-13-2009 04:25 PM

coolant could be a very small head gasket leak.

at certain temps and condidtions it lets out some coolant, the defect is so small, it disperses the coolant into a mist.

dreamer1213 07-13-2009 05:04 PM

Have your radiator cap tested to see if its holding the right amount of pressure...if the cap doesn't hold the right amount pressure, the engine will push the coolant out of the radiator..then it sucks coolant out of the recovery bottle....

Does the Jeep smoke a little (white smoke) when you start it? Or drive it?

Perfectbackstage 07-13-2009 06:12 PM

no smoke that i have noticed when i drive it and i did have a problem with the cap holding pressure a few months back but it was replaced and checked by the guys who do my oil changes.

dreamer1213 07-13-2009 07:14 PM

Ooooookkk then...rule out my opinion...lol!!

Perfectbackstage 07-13-2009 09:05 PM

really appreciate the feedback guys, gonna check out that differential and just keep an eye on the coolant situation

thx again!